Good BM, Good Production

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I am curious to know of some GOOD Black Metal bands/albums that have good sounding modern style clear production. The only "good' Black Metal bands I have found have been the ones whose albums were recorded with a VCR and a hot-wired potato. Alcest is one of the closest I've found so far to what I am looking for, but that's sort of derivative BM. Behemoth is one of my fav bands, definitely has great production, now that I think of it, Ihsahn is right up there as well. Don't Say Dimmu, because although I like Dimmu, I'm not looking for more Symphonic BM.

Taake!! The production is a bit raw, but it's clear enough and the music is fucking awesome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuX1pyaf2pY&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though many don't like the music in it as much as the older stuff, I think Reinkaos is overall nicely produced.

I'm guessing you're talking guitars/drums-only works.. Obviously (generally speaking), symphonic sounds 'better' (so, not really BM :lol:)

*ah, there's also some Hypocrisy, some Behemoth, blackened death I guess tends to have a more polished sound:

For black metal, Dark Funeral has 'improved' quite a lot since the Secrets Of The Black Arts days:

So many more stuff.. some of Gorgoroth, Watain.. I think generally speaking, bands who have 'survived' past the 90's are going about with much better production these days. Better live sound (at least sometimes), too.

I can second Dark Funeral, they're great and have excellent production as well(Bergstrand). Very, very evil! I saw them at Wacken a few weeks ago, their drummer is absolutely insane.

You probably can't classify Dimmu Borgir as very pure black metal anymore, but they're definitely worth a mention :)

Immortal... all the way...

Graveworm as mentioned above have a really good sound too, still quite symphonic but not as much as Dimmu...

Borknagar is more experimental but some might say that this is not black metal because it´s not raw!lol But symphonic black metal it´s a sub genre of black metal.

Forget the post above, it´s only symphonic!lol Non symphonic for me, yeah Immortal all the way, the rest doesnt do much for me.

I had a good BM production this morning.

toilet-shit4.serendipityThumb.jpg

Then I flushed.

Best kick I've ever heard. Album is a bit bright sounding, but still awesome imo.

That sounds way better than the Graveworm I listened to back in the day. Much better quality compared to their previous albums. Their Fear Of the Dark cover rules, despite the awful sound.

I don't think most Emperor's sound was good but added to the vibe, and Ihsahn's voice was always way, WAY down in the mix (always made me wonder as to why that would be).. maybe to give those two great guitars more prominence I guess? He doesn't sing loud anyways.

More great stuff:

And the greatest of them all:

^ Those toms...

Very special guitar flavors on some of their albums:

Dimmu and CoF cannot be left unmentioned of course, since Mr. Andy has mixed for them. I would have wanted to hear him mixing the old lineups (and in DB, with something other than Blackstar).

This thread is awesome. I've always liked the concept of black metal, but never was able to find what I was looking for.