Good pionts and bad pionts about your playing.

Ive only been playing for a year, so im still not that great. I learned to read tab off the internet, and have been self taught so far.

Good: Speed. Most everything i play is metal, so ive gotten pretty good at playing fast. My accuracy is starting to catch up with my speed. Im also getting fairly good at moving chords around.

Bad: Right hand. Ive been focusing a lot lately on developing more right hand coordination, but its been slow going. Anyone have any good drills?

Im not sure how to describe this, but another thing i have trouble with is "touch." Sometimes ill be able to physically play a certain piece, but it wont sound nearly as good as the original, very forced. A lot of this is probably due to me trying to play songs that are too advanced, but its still something i work on.

Artifical Harmonics. One of my friends who introduced me to the technique can bend his thumb back 90 degrees at the knuckle, which enables him do do some pretty crazy tricks with his picking hand(including making A.H's a piece of cake). One the higher strings(E,B,G), I can hit an A.H. 50% of the time if im lucky, but doing so requires me to pause so I can correctly position my hand.

Yes, N.H. , i've seen them described as harp ones and I think it suits them better.

Too bad I still can only do them only 2 seconds after I picked the notes or I mute them.

I'm sure my 'rig' doesn't help the sustain tho...

Zax666 said:
Yes, N.H. , i've seen them described as harp ones and I think it suits them better.

Too bad I still can only do them only 2 seconds after I picked the notes or I mute them.

I'm sure my 'rig' doesn't help the sustain tho...

Wait, I thought sustain wasn't all that?!! :D

And who the hell is that french fucker making fun of shreddy?

It's about 6 seconds on the 12th fret of the B-string with high gain. That's direct though my headphones. I don't try to crank it so I see its potential. I think the feedback won't work though my Hi-Fi.
With a good amp about anything should sustain forever, right?

My pinch harmonics are just plain crazy.

I'm very aware that the correct way to do a pinch harmonic is using your thumb, but I learned my technique off classical guitar. I was playing this awfully difficult classical piece in my guitar lessons and in it there was this passage where the melody was played with natural harmonics of the lower frets of E and B strings and the accompaniement came from the lower strings at the same time. The natural harmonics were played using the index finger to touch the string slightly at an octave higher than the note on the fretboard and the note was picked using the pinky of ring finger.

I adapted this technique using the pick so that I hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger and use my index finger to touch the string. It's a bit whacky, but works well for me. :D

The only problem is that it's difficult to get pinch harmonics to fit into fast licks. :erk:

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and let's see...

Good: I can play pretty fast and can sweep pretty decent, and can climb the neck pretty well. Every once in a while I can throw in a melodic passage off of an arpeggio.

Bad: Unfortunately I rely heavily on the pentatonic scale with major scale passing tones and therefore have difficulty varying my licks and keeping them from going stale. Also, my understanding of arpeggios is pretty limited, as I have difficulty applying them and have a tendency to just play the exact arpeggio which doesn't get me anywhere (though I do understand the theory behind major, minor, and diminished arpeggios).

Ryan

ive been drumming about 3 years and practicing a decent amount for that time

good:blasting, double bass, death metal technique in general, rudiments, pretty fast overall

bad:i suck at funk drumming. i dont have enough soul power...my endurance is pretty low at tempos above 240 for blasting and double bass and stuff

Ya know what, since this is a metal website, i'm just gonna stick to guitar.

good points: I'm pretty much a rhythm guitarist. I can play pretty much any chord progression you put in front of me. I'm good at the background stuff that usually goes unnoticed.

Bad points: I'm horrible at writing and arranging guitar solos. I like to write music, but when it comes to a solo i have zero creative ability.

:headbang:

Medusa's eyes said:
I play the drums for like 2,5 years now. The only thing I played for 2 years was metallica, metallica and metallica. Now I do different and difficult things like DT and SyX. I practise 1 hour each day (when I have the chance to do it).

The good points:
-I can improvise well.
-I learn quite fast (when I go to take some private drum lessons). When I got something new to play, it's easy for me to do because when I read it once, I already know how to play it.
-Double bass is hard for me to do, but I can play it quite fast.

The bad points:
-I use a lot of drumtabs, without them I have to figure it out for a longggg time. If I don't know how to play, I'm going nuts :loco: .
-I always want to play perfect, just exact as how the song goes.
For the double bass bro try the Hoglan method he learned me,just put ankle weights on and practise the double bass,you will built up endurance and speed.
cool.gif

Well as a drummer my good points are: i play what the song needs most of the time,dont like to overplay. I can play technical as hell if i want,i can read music and i'm always on time at gigs or practise,lol.
Bad points are: The way i sit to play(now i have a seat with a backrest),i did never warm up enough(now i do) and i tend to use the double bass pedal to often if i have it with me,lol.:tickled: