Good Thrash

I'm not too big on Thrash, but Kreator - Enemy of God was good. Death Angel - The Art of Dying was ok. Flotsam and Jetsam may be a thrash band worth checking out, but from the DVD I have of theirs (Live in Japan) it's hard to tell.

Track down that Negligence demo, at least if you like Anthrax. It was available legally on some website the last time I checked. And since they haven't been mentioned yet: Torture Squad. I just got their live album and it's pretty fucking insane.

As far as the classics go, obviously get some Overkill (Horrorscope and Years of Decay), Vio-Lence (Eternal Nightmare), Xentrix (anything), Heathen (either of the first two), Meliah Rage (Kill to Survive), etc. Avoid the "comeback" albums for the most part. The new Heathen demo shows some real promise, but that's the only noticable exception I can think of.

TheButcher said:
Deathrow - Deception Ignored
Overkill - Horrorscope
Annihilator - Alice In Hell
Holy Moses - Finished With The Dogs
Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Voivod - Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross
Destruction - Infernal Overkill
Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
Nasty Savage - s/t
Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Good list. Also-

Coroner - RIP/Punishment For Decadence/No More Color
Helstar - Nosferatu
Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly
Hirax - Raging Violence
Artillery - By Inheritance
Annihilator- Alice In Hell
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

I've always wondered if we use the term "thrash metal" because of the word "thrash" itself, ... if I don't abuse thrash is a synonym for garbage :p (Don't take it as an offense, I don't dislike thrash metal)

Endar said:
I've always wondered if we use the term "thrash metal" because of the word "thrash" itself, ... if I don't abuse thrash is a synonym for garbage :p (Don't take it as an offense, I don't dislike thrash metal)

you mean trash? :erk: there is no official trash metal genre that I know of, though there probably could be

Sabbat - History of a Time to Come

And eventhough they are not pure thrash but rather thrash/folk, I am going to recommend Skyclad. Anyone who does not like Skyclad fails at life.

Martin Walkyier (who does vocals on both these bands) is easily the best lyricist in metal I've come across so far.

I'd give you my top 10 list but everything I have has probably already been mentioned already. Anyways, be sure to get Testament - The New Order, if you haven't got it already.

I would say Sodom's best album would be Persecution Mania over Agent Orange, also I would recommend getting some Coroner, Razor, and earlier Celtic Frost. And am I the only thrash fan that hates Overkill?

TheButcher said:
Annihilator - Alice In Hell
Holy Moses - Finished With The Dogs
Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Voivod - Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross
Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
Seconded, as well as the recommendations of Mekong Delta, Watchtower and Coroner.

A few I would like to add:
Znowhite - "Act Of God"
Détente - "Recognize No Authority"
Forbidden - "Forbidden Evil"
Death Angel - "The Ultra-Violence"
Flotsam & Jetsam - "No Place For Disgrace"
Hexenhaus - "A Tribute To Insanity"
Toxik - "Think This"

Finally, you also could try this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237985

Clearly, your sig suggests that you're already a fan but I don't think there's a better thrash album than Reign in Blood. If there is, someone tell me and I'll buy it!

Moonlapse said:
I'll probably get killed for saying this, but I didn't mind Diabolus in Musica... but after God Hates Us All I cut myself off from that band completely.

I actually really liked Diabolus, but I second the negativity towards God Hates Us All. I think it was somewhere around the part when Tom screams, "I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its lies infect me" when I realized that Slayer had just done fell off.:erk:

Autumnal said:
I actually really liked Diabolus, but I second the negativity towards God Hates Us All. I think it was somewhere around the part when Tom screams, "I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its lies infect me" when I realized that Slayer had just done fell off.:erk:

That is an unforgiveably stupid lyric, although I've never really listened to Slayer for their songwriting. That said, it helps if the lyrics don't elicit actual contempt. :erk:

i really urge bands to not start calling things "lies" when theyre obviously suffering from such weak brain power to begin with. doesnt set a great example of intelligence if you ask me. not that slayer fans are exactly rocket scientists most of the time.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i really urge bands to not start calling things "lies" when theyre obviously suffering from such weak brain power to begin with. doesnt set a great example of intelligence if you ask me. not that slayer fans are exactly rocket scientists most of the time.

Except the Violent Femmes, whose song about lies is great, if not necessarily intelligent!