Good TV/Movies, Suggestions?

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
So I havent had cable in a year or so and I have been downloading shows, but I am running low on stuff to watch. Can anyone offer some suggestions of TV shows that of good quality? You could also include older series that I may have missed out on, like I have heard Twin Peaks is really good as is the new/old series V.

Here is what I have been watching:

Dexter
Entourage
Californication
Fringe
The Wire
Big Bang Theory
Lost
Prison Break
Breaking Bad
Sons Of Anarchy
True Blood
The Sopranos
The Shield
Stargate
Farscape
OZ
Rules of Engagement
How I Met Your Mother
Two And Half Men
30 Rock

So if anyone could give some suggestions based on above list that would be great. Also I am really horror movies so if there have been some good ones I missed, which is highly likely let me know.

So I havent had cable in a year or so and I have been downloading shows, but I am running low on stuff to watch. Can anyone offer some suggestions of TV shows that of good quality? Here is what I have been watching:

Lost
Prison Break
Breaking Bad
Sons Of Anarchy
True Blood
The Sopranos
The Shield
Stargate
Farscape
OZ
Rules of Engagement
How I Met Your Mother
Two And Half Men
30 Rock

So if anyone could give some suggestions based on above list that would be great. Also I am really horror movies so if there have been some good ones I missed, which is highly likely let me know.

Have you watched 24 yet? As ridiculous as it sounds, I started watching this series earlier this year (I know, pathetic). I still have a few seasons to catch up, but it's a great show nonetheless. True Blood (which you mentioned) is a great series too.

A little while back I watched Harper's Island. It was the typical "horror movie/who's the killer- type of show, but it did grab my attention. Too bad there was only one season (13 episodes), but it was worth it. It's on netflix, hulu, cbs's website, etc. Not breakthrough or mindblowing, but really fun.

ABC just debuted Happy Town recently. Same vein as Harper's Island, I'm enjoying that too.

Ah, if you like Two and a Half Men (my favorite tv series), you HAVE TO WATCH The Big Bang Theory. It's created and produced by the same people as Two and a Half Men and it's absolutely hysterical. Just ask Glenn.

Have you watched 24 yet? As ridiculous as it sounds, I started watching this series earlier this year (I know, pathetic). I still have a few seasons to catch up, but it's a great show nonetheless. True Blood (which you mentioned) is a great series too.

A little while back I watched Harper's Island. It was the typical "horror movie/who's the killer- type of show, but it did grab my attention. Too bad there was only one season (13 episodes), but it was worth it. It's on netflix, hulu, cbs's website, etc. Not breakthrough or mindblowing, but really fun.

ABC just debuted Happy Town recently. Same vein as Harper's Island, I'm enjoying that too.

Ah, if you like Two and a Half Men (my favorite tv series), you HAVE TO WATCH The Big Bang Theory. It's created and produced by the same people as Two and a Half Men and it's absolutely hysterical. Just ask Glenn.

Oh yeah I didnt list all the stuff I watch, but 24 and Big Bang are in the loop. Harpers Island sounds interesting, and OH I FORGOT ABOUT HAPPY TOWN!!! It has Sam Neil in it, I <3 Dr. Grant!!

Good to see you're watching Oz. That's probably about my favorite TV series of all time.

This. Fantastic show, but I wouldn't bother getting started now. Rent the previous seasons and you will get absolutely hooked.

Parks and Recreation season 2 - If you watch s1, it's a totally different show in the 2nd season so bare that in mind. It went from being something that took up time before The Office to one of my favorite shows on tv. There isn't that much lost if you skip those episodes.

Modern Family - My other favorite comedy this season.

The Wire - Based on some of your other shows, you should love this show. I hate these kinds of shows but The Wire is leaps and bounds above most cop shows.

Flight of the Conchords - This show is really quirky so it's hard to judge whether you'd like it based on what you list but it's worth a try.

Fringe - Similar to X-Files in that it has a lot of monster of the week episodes but the mythology is deeply entrenched. After you finish the first season, you'll want to go back and rewatch everything just to see how much you missed.

Oh yeah I didnt list all the stuff I watch, but 24 and Big Bang are in the loop. Harpers Island sounds interesting, and OH I FORGOT ABOUT HAPPY TOWN!!! It has Sam Neil in it, I <3 Dr. Grant!!

Yes, and he plays quite a creepy character. You can catch the full episodes on Happy Town's website. It's worth it.

That's exactly how I approached it. I got the first two seasons as a gift and was immediately hooked. Fantastic show.

I actually started watching this show from the beginning, but it was so funny when I used to work in a video store because every year the show would start, a whole new legion of people would start renting the dvds and it was like crack to them as they would finish each season in a matter of days. :lol:

I actually started watching this show from the beginning, but it was so funny when I used to work in a video store because every year the show would start, a whole new legion of people would start renting the dvds and it was like crack to them as they would finish each season in a matter of days. :lol:

But that's so truet though, I can attest to it!! I finished the first season within a week. And truthfully, I would've done it in one day if I could.

By the way, can we keep this thread a NO SPOILERS thread for *any* shows that we discuss? :lol:

I got hooked on 24 by watching the last episode of season 2. I rented seasons 1 and 2 and watched them while watching season 3 as it aired. Talk about confusing. But the show is just that good. Sad this is the last season. Hope the forthcoming movie is good.

Here's a list of some others that I like (other than what's on your list already).

Firefly (series) and Serenity (movie, fills in backstory but still watch after the series)
The IT Crowd
The Office (both the British and American versions are awesome)
Dead Like Me
Entourage
Dexter
Big Love

And I will agree that Flight of the Conchords is awesome, but quirky. It may help to watch their HBO special first, which is absolutely fantastic and hilarious.

Re: horror movies, my wife loved Drag Me to Hell, but I just thought it was alright

I got hooked on 24 by watching the last episode of season 2. I rented seasons 1 and 2 and watched them while watching season 3 as it aired. Talk about confusing. But the show is just that good. Sad this is the last season. Hope the forthcoming movie is good.
To be honest, as much as I loved the show they needed to end it. This season and two seasons ago have not been the best as it seems they're repeating things. There's really only so many things they can do with it.

I really wish they had not mentioned the movie yet though. It sort of ruins the end of the season for me, because there was always that slight chance that he would die after the show, so obviously nothing too drastic is going to happen to him. I also really don't know how that movie's going to work, considering they usually have 24 hours of material per season and to dwindle it down to 2-3 hours is just weird to me.

Oh! As far as good other shows to watch. Check out Curb Your Enthusiasm. Great stuff, but the earlier seasons as well as the initial special are the better ones. This past season was really hit or miss.

Hey bro, I've got a suggestion that no one has recommended already: Criminal Minds! I started watching this show religously
when it first started in 2005! It's a really good show that seriously delves into the minds of serial killers, psychos & criminals in general! Check it out, it's very cool & very intriguing! :D

Modern Family
Cougar Town - don't be thrown off by the name, this show is as funny and witty as Modern Family is. Courtney Cox is actually funny! Who knew? :D

I'm not sure about Happy Town. It seems like one big acid trip, IMO.

Criminal Minds! ... It's a really good show that seriously delves into the minds of serial killers, psychos & criminals in general! Check it out, it's very cool & very intriguing! :D

Modern Family
Cougar Town - don't be thrown off by the name, this show is as funny and witty as Modern Family is. Courtney Cox is actually funny! Who knew? :D

+1 on these :)

plus, i love Chuck :)

I'm not sure about Happy Town. It seems like one big acid trip, IMO.

Either you have very low tolerance for a little bit of whacky stuff, or you haven't really paid attention to what Happy Town is like... I don't know, but I saw the first two episodes and didn't think there was much of an "acid trip" if any at all. I mean, if you wanna say "mystery that so far makes no sense," that's cool, but big acid trip? :lol: