Good TV/Movies, Suggestions?

The new V series sucked ass......made me want scoop out my eyeballs with a spork then eat them on a skewer.

Sad to hear....we were watching the old series (and pilot mini-series) on DVD and remarking how, hidden deep amongst the cheese and standard Hollywood tropes (yawn), there was a decent, well-intended, relatively low-budget SF series trying to get out. :)

Speaking of SF.... Ian, if you have a chance, rent the reimagined Battlestar Galactica miniseries (or buy it, hell, it's down to $10 nowadays).
It's not for everyone, but Time magazine called it "the best drama series on television" regardless of genre, and it has some absolutely jaw-dropping moments.
And, as a fan of the old 70s version, I can say they got rid of everything that was bad with the old show, yet kept the parts that made it oddly compelling.

Good to see you're watching Oz. That's probably about my favorite TV series of all time.

This. Fantastic show, but I wouldn't bother getting started now. Rent the previous seasons and you will get absolutely hooked.

The last season of Oz SUCKED so bad! It seemed like HBO had to end it, and didn't know how. That series was awesome, and deserved a better send off than it got. JMHFO.

I got turned on earlier this year by a friend of mine to an older early 90's BBC comedy show called "Bottom". It's a couple of the dudes from the "Young Ones", Rik Mayall & Adrian Edmonson. Absolutely F'ing hilarious! They even took the show on the road after its 3 seasons and did 5 stage plays, which are comic GOLD!
Think of a rude, & raw version of The Odd Couple.... Seriously, this show has had me in tears, and nearly PIMP from laughing so hard..... There are plenty of clips on Youtube to test drive, & see if you like it.....Here's one:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I remember the old V from when I was a kid and it freaked me right out so I was all excited about the new one. Watched 2-3 episodes and was like "really??". I love sci-fi, read a ton of it, but I was just appalled at the cheese on the new version. That kid and the hot alien chick *vomit* so corny. And some of the cgi was just atrocious.

Though some other cool stuff to watch that occurs to me are the movies Oldboy and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. Asian revenge stories, just awesome. The Archer series is spleen-rupturingly hysterical, thanks to Jimi for turning me on to that!!!

I am not a TV person. Unless it is football, I don't watch anything regularly. However, there is a show called "Super Nanny" that comes on that I like pretty well. This Nanny gets called to help a family with problem kids (problem parents is more the case.) You don't have to have kids to enjoy it. It is usually really funny and is a real life show. You would be surprised how bad some of these kids are and the shit they will do.

Bryant

If you don't mind watching short-lived series that were cancelled, my #1 recommendation for you would be Firefly, based on your enjoyment of Farscape. It's by the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (I don't know how you feel about those shows, but despite their tongue-in-cheek presentation, they are some of the best quality TV ever made). Firefly is more future action-drama than actual sci-fi, but, in addition to sharing Farscape's excellent dialogue and character development, the setting is also similar -- a ragtag group piloting a spaceship under the radar. Differences: In Firefly's case, they are smugglers running from a corrupt central government, rather than refugees dodging their captors as in Farscape. Firefly also has a strong wild-West feel to it; many of the locations they visit are on the edges of "frontier" space. This is in contrast to the central planets, which are highly technologized.

Based on your Sons of Anarchy and The Shield fandom, I would next recommend Justified. Timothy Olyphant (aka God) plays an overzealous U.S. Marshal assigned to his old stomping grounds in Kentucky, where an old buddy of his (Walton Goggins = Shane from The Shield) is a violent criminal, slash white supremacist. This is a new show this year, on FX.

Based on your HBO show fandom, I would recommend the cancelled shows Deadwood and Carnivale. I personally love HBO's period pieces.

Deadwood: Timothy Olyphant (aka God) plays a reluctant sheriff in an old Western frontier gold settlement. Tons of dirty language, violence, and reprehensible behavior, surrounding a great central story with great characters. Olyphant doesn't really steal the show here, though; it's Ian McShane, who plays a bar proprietor who controls illegal activity in town.

Carnivale: A young Midwestern man with supernatural powers joins a traveling carnival to search for his father. The carnival has a lot of secrets of its own. Meanwhile, in California, a priest and his sister are putting together a strong cult-like following, and their intentions are questionable. This show was one of my all-time favorites, until HBO decided to pull the plug for some reason, right in the middle of the story. If you can't stand cliffhanger endings, then don't watch this show.

Based on your horror movie fandom, I'd recommend the show Supernatural. Clive Barker says it's one of the best horror-themed TV shows he's ever seen. Two twenty-something brothers travel across the country hunting monsters/demons/etc. and saving people. As the show progresses, the plot starts to get more and more serialized, and they start going after bigger and badder enemies. The greatest thing about this show, though, is how witty and realistic the writing is, and how it makes fun of pop culture. The two brothers bicker back and forth like real brothers, and even play pranks on each other occasionally. Plus, the show is full of classic rock and hair metal, and even the occasional *real* metal (one of the brothers is a huge rock/metal fan). :) None of this takes away from the fact that the show has its share of genuinely scary or creepy moments. It's on CW Network.

Based on your True Blood and Californication fandom, I'd recommend the cancelled Showtime show, Dead Like Me. It's about grim reapers, and their daily lives. It's incredibly well-written, and mixes plenty of drama with tongue-in-cheek supernatural elements (True Blood) and plenty of sarcastic humor (Californication).

Last but not least, Chuck. It's like 24, James Bond, and The Big Bang Theory got together and had a baby. A computer technologist (nerd) gets a bunch of US defense secrets implanted into his head. Until the government can rectify the situation, Chuck becomes an unlikely member of a small espionage-slash-counterterrorism unit. This is an action-comedy-drama, and there is plenty of action and plenty of nerd humor -- often at the same time. :) It's on NBC.

Modern Family, Cougar Town, Scrubs... these have all been covered well enough, I think. All excellent comedies. I'd add Community to the list.

That's enough for now. :)

Happy Town just got canceled. I'm pretty annoyed about it.

No it didn't actually. I just read today that they're just moving it and are going to start running more episodes in June. With that being said though, they're probably giving it a second go and if it doesn't work this time, they will cancel it.

No it didn't actually. I just read today that they're just moving it and are going to start running more episodes in June. With that being said though, they're probably giving it a second go and if it doesn't work this time, they will cancel it.
Hmm, weird. A lot of articles are out saying it was canceled but they will show the remaining five episodes so fans can at least get to the end of the season. I hope you are right though, hopefully the second run will be a little more successful (I doubt it though) :(

Hmm kind of annoying. But most people I talked to didn't like it. I thought it was okay, and that it had promise. But the pacing is weird. I don't think it will succeed. I wonder if they are also worried about competing with The Gates

Which basically means they're canning it. This is a sweeps month.

That Wed 10pm slot has been a graveyard the last few years. The Unusuals, Life On Mars, The Nine, Invasion, Eyes, etc

Which basically means they're canning it. This is a sweeps month.

That Wed 10pm slot has been a graveyard the last few years. The Unusuals, Life On Mars, The Nine, Invasion, Eyes, etc

Yeah. Most of those shows were doomed from the start, though. I need to pick up The Unusuals on DVD; that was an incredible show.

Yeah. Most of those shows were doomed from the start, though. I need to pick up The Unusuals on DVD; that was an incredible show.

Yeah, that was a great show. I never bothered with any of the others I listed. I just know most of them followed Lost. Someone on another forum I posted tried blaming Lost for these failed shows (specifically Life on Mars) because no one could keep watching another hour of television after an episode of Lost. :lol:

I LOVED that show and I don't really like tv. :lol: Had no clue it was actually on DVD, so I gotta do that at some point. I think the problem was and I could be way off is that both this and Southland came on at about the same time. At first I got them sort of confused. Just a thought, but I probably am wrong here.

I LOVED that show and I don't really like tv. :lol: Had no clue it was actually on DVD, so I gotta do that at some point. I think the problem was and I could be way off is that both this and Southland came on at about the same time. At first I got them sort of confused. Just a thought, but I probably am wrong here.

I don't know, but I can say that I saw almost NO promotion for The Unusuals at all, until the week it premiered. The mid-season shows get notoriously bad marketing, and most of them die almost immediately. I was stoked that this show lasted for as many episodes as it did.

Then again, it could be, simply, that people didn't know what to make of the show. A cop drama, with tons of comedy? Some concepts are simply too hard for America to grasp. :)