Gore metal

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
What exactly does gore metal define? How does it defer from traditional death metal bands (like Deicide and Morbid Angel)? Is it just a lyrical theme or does it have its own style?

I'm not sure if Cannibal Corpse could be classified as gore metal though, even though it probably influenced it, with its imagery and lyrics.

I don't consider gore metal to be a genre. Goregrind is, however, a dumbed down version of grindcore with gory lyrics (I bet someone would give a better description but you know the drill yourself). It's sick, retarded, and mainly about vomit.

The only thing that "gore metal" could define is the theme, but even in that case it's pretty much unnecessary.

Since most goregrind or "gore metal" is rooted in Carcass, it's about as deserving of it's own genre as all the death metal clone bands rooted in Incantation. However, goregrind is a helpful descriptor for the sound of Impetigo, Pathologist, Dead Infection, etc. I suppose..

I'm not sure Impetigo deserves to be lumped in with those bands. I'm not saying they don't have any influence from carcass, but they really don't sound like other goregrind bands. In fact, I kinda feel like impetigo, along with nercophagia, and mortician spawned plenty of their own horror movie death metal copy cats.

Since most goregrind or "gore metal" is rooted in Carcass, it's about as deserving of it's own genre as all the death metal clone bands rooted in Incantation. However, goregrind is a helpful descriptor for the sound of Impetigo, Pathologist, Dead Infection, etc. I suppose..

Thing is, I don't think bands like Vulvectomy, Devourment, Flesh Consumed, and Putrid Pile should be labeled as goregrind.

None of them are goregrind. They're all slam/brutal. Goregrind is like Jig-Ai, Last Days of Humanity, Torsofuck, Cliteater, The Day Everything Became Nothing, etc.

Worst part about goregrind? Pitch-shifted vox.

My point is that gore metal and goregrind are essentially different things. Gore metal being slam/brutal death metal with gory artwork and lyrics, and goregrind being the bands you just listed.

So if this gore metal is literally just slam/brutal death, why does it need to be its own genre, again?

I'm not sure Impetigo deserves to be lumped in with those bands. I'm not saying they don't have any influence from carcass, but they really don't sound like other goregrind bands. In fact, I kinda feel like impetigo, along with nercophagia, and mortician spawned plenty of their own horror movie death metal copy cats.

Yeah but that's like saying Deicide doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Morbid Angel, so there needs to be separate genres for the two of them. It's all death metal, it's all grind, w/e, who cares.