Gravity Eyelids

Mind Terrorist

New Metal Member
Oct 23, 2007
sydney, australia
Well i was just listening to In absentia by PT, and the bit that starts at 5:12 in Gravity Eyelids sounds like its ripped off from the end of The Leper Affinity. Has anybody else noticed this?

Well I was just listening to In absentia by PT, and the bit that starts at 5:12 in Gravity Eyelids sounds like its ripped off from the end of The Leper Affinity. Has anybody else noticed this?
Actually it's a different strumming pattern, and not only that they're all slightly different chords. The chords on gravity are power chords(because the part is heavier) which share notes from the Leper chord inversions of minor and diminished. Also on the progression for gravity it switches from ending on an E based power chord To an F based power chord every other time. So technically nothing was stolen at all, and musicians Borrow(a lot of the time unconsciously) from their influences all the time since that's what music is. Rip off is a strong word in the music world so I would watch how you put things. Plus you do realize that steve produced bwp, and in absentia was the next PT release so in all reality you don't know who's idea for the overall progression it is or which was even written first. Could of been created in the studio, could have been steve's, could have been mike's or pete's, they could have came up with it together. All I know is both bands would be happy to admit the huge influences they've had on one another.

Speaking of similarities... Stupid Dream's Tinto Brass reminds me a lot of Office Of Strategic Influence's shutDOWN. Had to say that :rolleyes:

SPEAKING OF WHICH, Mike's clean vocals on Bleak sound like he's ripping off Steven Wilson! Oh... wait a minute...

wow thats not funny at all you suck

Well, let's face it, there is a REASON why Opeth and PT have a lot of similar moments. Aside from the fact that Steven produced BWP, Mike has been a PT fan from the very beginning. I'm assuming you know all this, so why are we having this discussion?

because they're not "ripping off" each other you retard

Ah, my intent was sarcasm. Not looking to upset anyone. I'm well aware of the fact that they're not ripping each other off. My point is that these "this sounds the same as this" threads just seem a little redundant, that's all.

No need for verbal violence.

Ah, my intent was sarcasm. Not looking to upset anyone. I'm well aware of the fact that they're not ripping each other off. My point is that these "this sounds the same as this" threads just seem a little redundant, that's all.

No need for verbal violence.
Well he's a jerk so don't mind him. And I think he's mistaking you for the OP. Or maybe he's just being more of a jerk then normal.