one of their best acoustic breaks?

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
the part in 'the leper affinity' where its twin harmonic guitars then its just mikael singing 'lost are days of spring.....
imo thats one of their best break downs musically and lyrically, some really nice lyrics, well, it has this romanticised feeel about it

The Drapery Falls:) after the growl: Never agaaaaiiiin... and then comes a beautifull peace of art. "Spiralling to the ground below, like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
awesome

I really love the acoustic break in "The Amen Corner." It sounds like heaven.

The acoustic verses in "Godheads Lament" is definitely another favorite, too.

As a personal preference, I think Blackwater Park is the album with the best acoustic passages. But then, it's my favourite Opeth album, so maybe I'm biased. The passage mentioned initially, from The Leper Affinity is my favourite. However, I REALLY love the acoustic passage form 'The Twilight Is My Robe', where Mikael sings:

'The birds of the sun
Seperates these dark clouds
While the winds of winter sleeps gently around
I am sworn to the oath
To breathe...'

Two of the most beautiful minutes of music I ever heard, in my opinion. And the bass riff that leads back into the heavy passage is sooooooo cool. Man, come to think of it, I fucking LOVE that song! :D

aaaahhh aah, aaaaah ah.... anyone recognized it?;) Yeah, Master's Apprentices...
This part with "once i'm below there's no turning...", that's it! Then of course Godhead's lament and "bleak".

Drapery Falls, Master's Apprentices, Leper Affinity, Harlequin Forest, The Moor.

Blackwater Park has my favourite acoustic passages overall

Benighted Joe said:
... I like "Ghost of perdition" clean vocal part with acoustic guitar. Love it when the solo begins and Mike just sing the lower vocal notes ....

You are absolutely right, Joe!
That is true classic stuff!!!

opeth_353 said:
How could i forget the clean bit in Master's Apprentices!??!
I adore that part! It's so much fun to play too - simple but strangely satisfying!

LOL we didn't forget it. You didn't read everything, now did you not?

I also love that soft part. I mean these parts, the ones we're talking
about, are the parts other artists never get in their songs. Opeth are
even better than the people doing mellow stuff all the time! :worship:

RiffBoy said:
You are absolutely right, Joe!
That is true classic stuff!!!

Yeah. I'm right, but I'm tired also.

You keep saying you are tired and need sleep but you keep posting! Fair enough though. I need to sleep at some point too...

The Night and the Silent Water has the best acoustic break IMO, and the beautiful vocals make it all the better. So amazing.
Another great one is in Deliverance

I think my favorite Opeth acoustic part would be starting at the 6:20 mark of "Nectar." And the acoustic part starting at 6:53 of the same song is pretty damn awesome. The bassline underneath it is just as awesome as well. "The Amen Corner" has an acoustic part that I don't think I'll ever get tired of. Most of my favorite acoustic moments come from Morningrise and MAYH. All their albums have great acoustic moments, but the best come from these two. True, some of the acoustic moments on later albums like Ghost Reveries may be a bit more technical, but I'll take atmosphere over technique any day.