Great Guitar Solos

Paul's Solo in Death's "Vacant Planets"
The 2nd solo in Morbid Angel's "Rapture".
All of the Solos on the Painkiller album by Judas Priest
Testament's "Trail By Fire"
Opening solo to Possessed "Storm in my mind"
Symphony X's "The Turning"
Crimson Glory's "Eternal World"
Jag Panzer's "Take to the Sky"
Deicide's "Homeage for Satan" :)

Sam...Why? DF can;t even play their own solos half the time. :)

How about the solo in Nightrain?! Fucking badass shit right there... :kickass:

I prefer the Paradise City solo that ends the song... anyways :

Ozzy w/ all of Randy Rhoads solo's especially from the live Tribute album and Jake E Lee's solo's as well

Metallica - Creeping Death, Orion, Fade to Black

Megadeth - My Last Words

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Hey You

Iron Maiden - Alot of the solo's on the Live After Death album in addition to all the solos on the Somewhere in Time album

Anyways that is all I can think of off hand... I'll think of others later today perhaps....

I prefer the Paradise City solo that ends the song... anyways :

Ozzy w/ all of Randy Rhoads solo's especially from the live Tribute album and Jake E Lee's solo's as well

Metallica - Creeping Death, Orion, Fade to Black

Megadeth - My Last Words

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Hey You

Iron Maiden - Alot of the solo's on the Live After Death album in addition to all the solos on the Somewhere in Time album

Anyways that is all I can think of off hand... I'll think of others later today perhaps....

Good choices mang... :cool:

Metallica's Fade to Black is awesome, as is Kirks solo in One, while it may not rate up there as one of the most technical or fastest solos of all time it is definetely one of the best. Really when Metallica were good, they were good. It was the same with Megadeth and Mustaine and Elfman's dual lead guitar pieces.

For guitar solos though, I need to give a plug to Suffocation's self-titled album, Bind torture Kill, Abomination reborn, it is soloing in death metal at is best and most tormented.

Solitude Aeturnus generally have great solos. I mean all of them so it would be hard for me to pick some out.

Been on a somewhat Southern Metal Kick lately:
Always loved solo in Domination-Pantera
Both of the solos on November Rain-GNR
Bridge To Cross-Black Label Society
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed-Allman Bros.
Led Zeppelin-Song Remains The Same(Live)
COC-Clean My Wounds

Absolutely. You heard the extended version from the 'Live Era' compilation? My god, that is one powerful piece of lead guitar to climax the song. Also, you might've heard Slash's beautiful rendition of 'The Godfather' theme score. :headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

There are many leads aforementioned in this thread that I can't be arsed quoting, but I'm surprised no one's said 'Lucretia' or 'Tornado of Souls' by Marty Friedman (during his time in Megadeth, for the uninitiated), and almost anything by David Gilmour ('Time' by Pink Floyd>>>>>>>>>anything by Yngwie Wankstain). I'm a bit of a guitar geek, though, so it's no wonder that I love a lot of the guitar music that's out there.

While I'm no fan of Yngwie, that's still absurd. lol You seem to really love more....mainstream stuff.
Sabin, absolutely it sounds and looks good on the album/videos.

Solitude Aeturnus generally have great solos.

I've only heard 2 songs but I thought it was rather good stuff.

Candlemass - Bewitched

Solstice - Cimmerian Codex

Arghoslent - Heirs To Perdition

I'll post more when I think of them.

Metallica's Fade to Black is awesome, as is Kirks solo in One,
I didn't think One was that special or anything.... Hammett was brilliant on Ride the Lightning and MOP albums which is when he was taking lessons from Satriani and it shows... you can see his progress from Kill Em All to Ride the Lightning... AJFA and Black is when he started to leave modal playing and trying to go back to pentatonic scales and such...and his playing has suffered because of it..
It was the same with Megadeth and Mustaine and Elfman's dual lead guitar pieces.
You mean Mustaine/Poland & Mustaine/Friedman no? ...

Jeff from Nevermore has some nice parts but generally his lead playing does not sound cohesive to me, his playing also has no feeling or character and just sounds like he learned some fansy techniques and can play fast. I can't really distinguish metal guitarists like this.

Jeff from Nevermore has some nice parts but generally his lead playing does not sound cohesive to me, his playing also has no feeling or character and just sounds like he learned some fansy techniques and can play fast. I can't really distinguish metal guitarists like this.

The true metal guitarists with "feeling" stand out regardless of speed and/or technique... that is why Randy Rhoads was special and stood the test of time... not many guitarists in the metal world do... most are nothing but technical as you said... "wankers" is what we called them in the 80's with Malsteen and the countless of copycats he spawned...

While I'm no fan of Yngwie, that's still absurd. lol You seem to really love more....mainstream stuff.

Nah, not really. In fairness, my tastes are pretty well-rounded, especially in regard to metal. Frankly, I find those who purposefully confine themselves to only what is considered "tr00", underground or whathaveyou to be beyond hope.

I'll concede that it was a harsh exaggeration, but I used Yngwie as an example since he's an easy target, and for a rhetorical emphasis. In other words, I wanted to point out how much taste and power Gilmour can evoke with a mere few notes; something Yngwie appears to struggle with. Having said that, I appreciate his playing on the likes of 'Black Star' and 'I'll See The Light Tonight', but not much else. Besides, the guy's an utter prick. :lol:

his playing is the epitome of "feeling" solos like the heart collector, engines of hate, this godless endeavor, tomorrow turned into yesterday, this sacrament, etc etc etc....

an amazing guitar talent, no doubt.