Great Guitar Solos

Frankly, I find those who purposefully confine themselves to only what is considered "tr00", underground or whathaveyou to be beyond hope.
exactly...

In other words, I wanted to point out how much taste and power Gilmour can evoke with a mere few notes;
exactly... do not need a million notes per minute to evoke such "feel"... Gilmour blows away the majority of metal guitarists and with less notes...
the guy's an utter prick. :lol:
yeah he is :lol: i saw him live years ago here in NY and don't remember the show.. that is how boring it must of been... but anyways as for your post it is :

+1 and very wise...

megadeth - hangar 18 (the whole damn song was a solo)

testament - practice what you preach

iron maiden - the trooper

No mention of Iommi? Maybe I missed it.

Personally I feel the pinnacle of black metal soloing can be found in the Euronymous lead in "Freezing Moon" on DMDS.

Notable for death metal would be Eric Hoffman in "Dead By Dawn."

While I'm no fan of Yngwie, that's still absurd. lol You seem to really love more....mainstream stuff.
Sabin, absolutely it sounds and looks good on the album/videos.

Solitude Aeturnus generally have great solos.

I've only heard 2 songs but I thought it was rather good stuff.

I like some mainstream music, I also like a fair bit of stuff which is pretty far from mainstream though, I listen to a lot of music and not just metal.

While Metallica and Megadeth are mainstream now they were not when that stuff came out and those solos are good, in my opinion they have stood the test of time.

P.S How is Suffocation mainstream?

@Unfaifully - Yeah, Mustaine/Friedman, I have no idea how I came up with Elfman, guess his name is just one I associate with the band a bit too much.

As for One, I like the solo, I think it stands out well in the context of the song and it is one of Kirks last great solos before the bands decline into the mainstream.

Iron Maiden - Alot of the solo's on the Live After Death album in addition to all the solos on the Somewhere in Time album

and

any solo in any nevermore song

I agree they all ROCK!

Amon Amarth - Releasing Surtur's Fire in the middle of the song

Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time

Kreator - People Of The Lie

Shadow Gallery - Roads Of Thunder

Slayer - Silent Scream

Sonata Arctica - Wolf And Raven

Stratovarius - Find Your Own Voice

My favorite guitar solo is Dissection's - In The Cold Winds Of Nowhere

I never listened to Storm Of The Light's Bane yet.

I like some mainstream music, I also like a fair bit of stuff which is pretty far from mainstream though, I listen to a lot of music and not just metal.

While Metallica and Megadeth are mainstream now they were not when that stuff came out and those solos are good, in my opinion they have stood the test of time.

P.S How is Suffocation mainstream?

@Unfaifully - Yeah, Mustaine/Friedman, I have no idea how I came up with Elfman, guess his name is just one I associate with the band a bit too much.

As for One, I like the solo, I think it stands out well in the context of the song and it is one of Kirks last great solos before the bands decline into the mainstream.

That wasn't for you, nor did I call suffocation mainstream.
As for Loomis, the "there's no emotion or feeling"....everytime I hear someone say this I think they want to hold a lighter to every solo. lol Think you might just want the blues, not metal. As far character it is lacking in parts, he could easily be mistaken for other metal guitarists on many songs. OF course there are exceptions.

Necrophagist-Fermented Offal Discharge(onset)
Ignominious and Pale(epitaph)
two of my favorite necrophagist solo's, all of them kick ass anyways.

Symphony X-Sea of Lies
Wintersun-Death and the Healing
Epica-(they did an awesome Crystal Mountain cover :) )
Kalmah has some pretty sick solos, but the solo for principle hero(they will return) is a bit meh. They could have done better from 3:18 to 3:24.
Nile- Cast down the heretic; nice and brutal.

tons more....

Ozzy w/ all of Randy Rhoads solo's especially from the live Tribute album and Jake E Lee's solo's as well
Randy's solos were the first to spring to my mind too, especially 'Mr Crowley' and 'Goodbye to Romance'. I also loved Jake E Lee's work as well, particularly 'Bark at the Moon'. Others that I also like:

Type O Negative - September Sun
Metallica - The Unforgiven
Children of Bodom - Knuckleduster, Hatebreeder
To-Mera - Blood
Edguy - Vain Glory Opera, Tears of a Mandrake
Kreator - Coma of Souls
Iron Maiden - Aces High

and

I agree they all ROCK!

Amon Amarth - Releasing Surtur's Fire in the middle of the song

Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time

Kreator - People Of The Lie

Shadow Gallery - Roads Of Thunder

Slayer - Silent Scream

Sonata Arctica - Wolf And Raven

Stratovarius - Find Your Own Voice

My favorite guitar solo is Dissection's - In The Cold Winds Of Nowhere

I never listened to Storm Of The Light's Bane yet.

I also forgot to add on a few others

Daylight Dies - Unending Waves

Daylight Dies - All We Had

Almost every Amon Amarth song has a good solo in it.

Sonata Arctica - False News Travels Fast

Sonata Arctica - San Sebastian

I think I got em all this time.

No mention of Iommi? Maybe I missed it.

Personally I feel the pinnacle of black metal soloing can be found in the Euronymous lead in "Freezing Moon" on DMDS."

Both are great riff players but nothing special on lead guitar... they were "adequate"... in the case of Sabbath... Rhoads did a great job in redoing the songs on the Tribute album... he gave new life to the songs at the time especially with his leads...