Greatest moments in music

• Thread starter The Galliant Gullstone
  • Start date
T

The Galliant Gullstone

I mean specific moments which take you to another place...:

the middle of master of puppets, when that harmony kicks in, my spirit is elevated.

Tornado of souls solo

The sad riff at the end of The learning, mainly cause it has a build up after build up, then it just breaks down perfectly to where the breif scale run solo comes in, right before warrel comes back in with "when man and machine become one"

end of perennial quest is just devastating emotionally

beethovens 9th, first movement, first 2.5 minutes is perfect.

tiachavsky's (sp definetly) 5th, 4th movement, the acceleration in the middle, I fucking HEADBANG to that riff. its so good, thats proto-metal \m/

the seconds after the first chorus in travel in stygian (esp. in the original version)
death's 'flesh and the power it holds' when chuck (RIP) screams 'passion burns like a fire carried by the wind'
I FEEL SO HOLLOW
somewhere in the end of this sacrament when warrel uses his melancholic voice
solo of engines of hate
solo in deep peace by devin
detox by SYL...the 'how did i get here tonight...' part...
blind guardian - valhalla
opeth (many of their none-death-metal vocal parts...)
loreena mckennitt - night ride across the caucasus (sp??)
sanctuary - long since dark...

and some others....

In no particular order.....

The Wall.
Wish You Were Here.
Revolver.
Sgt Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band.
Rubber Soul.
Abbey Road.
Freak Out!
Electric Ladyland.
Morningrise.
The Number of the Beast.
In The Court of the Crimson King.
Red.
Spiritual Healing.
Blood on the Tracks.
Kind of Blue.
Rising Force.
Bonded By Blood.
Ride The Lightning.
Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton.
Are You Shpongled?
Nevermind. (Not a fan, but goddamn, what impact)
A Night At The Opera.
Bathory.
Operation: Mindcrime.
The Politics of Ecstacy.

-the learing, at the end, "when man and machine become one, innocence is lost, a new age begun. machines are still learning to feel. when i have awakened the world WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!!!!and my time is soon at hand

-The Tragically Hip-Tiger The Lion- after the weird intro the first time every instrument comes in is just bliss. particularly when you're drunk in a friends basement on a Lazy Boy making out with your girlfirned whos sitting on top of you....yah.....

-the beginning of No More Will on headphones with the acoustic guitar going in one earphone and then the sharp parts come in on the other earphone.....pure gold

-the chorus in Room #99 by Soilwork.....something about it is just so fucking awesome. i have this cool memory from there show in toronto too during that song at the end of their set i was fighting with some bitchfist for henrys stick. sadly i didn't get it :(.....but the show was fuckin great!

-the extremely heavy part at the beginning of Lament of A Mortal Soul(by AE for those who did not know) with the squeeling guitar in the background. again, pure gold.

-OMG! Death- Bite the Pain. after the intro there are those 4 lone hits on the bell of the ride and then "ASSUME" and then that extremely wicked galloping riff with the double bass done perfectly in the background to create even more galloping goodness. sheer METAL awesomeness!

-death- Trapped in a corner- the intro to the song on the live LA disc sounds so fucking good. i splooged when i heard it. it sounds good on ITP too, but not as raw.

-opeth- the funeral portrait- "and you are just like them all, stained by the names of fathers. i'm greeting my downward fall, leaving the throes to others". that part. the vocal harmonies are fucking great!

-Opeth- demon of the fall- that really sinister clean guitar at about 2:16 into the song afte rthe first heavy part of the song and the subsequent scream + heaviness after the clean guitar. wickedness.

-that awesome death metal riff in Legions of the Dead by Testament on The Gathering. the first tim ei heard that i thought "wow, that riff sounds really fucking cool. i want to hear more stuff like that!" and so began what now is my collectio nof nile and hate eternal CD's. aahhhh death metal....i love you.

-Pink Floyd- the acoustic bit in Is There Anybody Out There?

-In Memory: "burn out the time, BURN OUT THE TEARS!" still gives me goosbumps almost everytime i hear it. just the power elevation created in just that one line is unfuckingbelievable. warrel is a metal-vocalist superhero.

-All The Cowards Hide- 5:15 into the song. that yell thing before he says "fall, obey" again that sounds like its really far away and shit......:yow:........if that doesn't turn you on then you're simply not human.

-in flames- jotun- afte rthe little intro type bit when the main riff comes in and the double bass is just pounding behind it is out of this world. it was done SO WELL! that riff is one of the best metal has ever seen and that bit of the song with the double bass in the back is just sheer musical bliss.

-The Tragically Hip- Long Time Running- the first chorus in the song(as well as the rest of the chorus, this one seems different) is great...fucking great.

-Iced earth- the chorus in Wolf. wicked. extremely screamable duringa concert. pure excellence.

-Hate Eternal- the third track off of King of All Kings with the wicked cool tom rolls and then the ferocious death metal insanity in the background. more awesomeness.

-Nile- Stones of Sorrow- at about 2:13(up until the solo) the tempo changes and goes fast with the nice punishing double bass....and thats all well and good.....but then the singer just starts to SCREAM and YELL the lyrics and it is just really impressive and scary and awesome.

-SYL- the chorus in All Hail the New flesh.

-Devin Townsend- Infinity- the entire song Bad Devil. man, i fucking love that song!

-Cryptopsy- Shroud- 1:25 into the song- complete change and into a 26 second piece of sheer headbanging instrumental brilliance. :D

-Carcass- the intro to the songs Heartowrk and Rock The Vote.

-Metallica- Sanitarium- the part that goes "Fear of living on, natives getting restless now, mutiny in the air, got some death to do. mirror stares back hard. kill, its such a friendly word. seems the only way, for reaching out aggaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnn!!!!"

-Metallica- Dyers Ever- the whole song.

-Quo Vadis- the entire song dream and the enitre song On The Showers of Ithaka.

-Amon Amarth- God, his son, and Holy Whore- the chorus is so immensely awesome. "TURN THE BLADE AROUND! PUT THE OPPRESSORS DOWN!" that part is so fucking wicked! oh MAN!!.........great..........i just came in my pants.......see? see what happens when you i get all excited. crap.....this is gonna take a while to clean up now. thanks alot you son's of bitches.

anyways......

and LAST BUT NOT LEAST!

that immense high pitched scream at the beginning of the Death cover of Painkiller! :lol: i'm just kidding. thats pretty good(and funny) but not tops and/or good enough to be on this list.

-Queensrÿche's "Eyes of A Stranger"...Tate's soaring "Why am I here, and for how long?"
-The scream at the beginning of "Angel of Death," and of course "RAINING BLOOOOOOOOD!"
-The little girl at the end of "Dead Skin Mask."
-Last two lines of "Hallowed Be Thy Name." Hell, the whole song.
-The rhythm-guitar only breakdown in "The Four Horsemen." It's not THAT spectacular, but the first time I listened to Kill 'Em All, that just got my heart pumping at a ridiculous rate. It's about when I started realizing there was really something to this "heavy metal" stuff.
-The end of "Blessed Are You" live, with Barlow's incredible screaming.
-Along the same lines, the intro to Halford's "Resurrection."
-Also, from Bay Area Thrash Festival, Rob Halford standing on the stage leading the crowd in a sing-along to the main riff of "You've Got Another Thing Coming." The band gradually cut their instruments until it was just Rob and the crowd going "Wooooaaaah...ohhhhhhh...ohhhhhhhh." It was the most amazing concert moment ever...an epiphany, one might say. "Holy shit, that's the Metal God." (Don't start, Will. He's the fucking Metal God.)
-The bridge to "Creeping Death."
-The second riff of "Tornado of Souls" - not the intro, but the one that it kicks into right afterwards.
-Second greatest live memory: Ripper's spine-tingling scream on "Victim of Changes." Jack and I counted...seventeen seconds, top of his lungs. Damn.
-"Iron Man." Nuff said.
-The intro to "Come To the Sabbath." Remember, Satan loves YOU.
-The last section of "A Question of Heaven." Nearly brought tears to my eyes.
-"Forever." Same thing.
-Overkill's "Gasoline Dream"...the whole song is great, but the two creepy guitar-and-vox parts and the interlude at the end are amazing. Also the killer intro to "Deny the Cross."
-The sweep scales in "River Dragon."

And of course...Master of Puppets. The whole fucking song. Beautiful. Beautiful.

DEV-The opening riff of Seventh wave.
When regulator kicks in(Both apply again when live)

Emperor-Ensorcelled by Khaos-The bit where the "Venus seduce me/Mars enslave me" takes hold. Fuck yes.
The cover of "Gypsy". Fucking good too.

Wildhearts-Girlfreinds clothes live. I still cant belive they pulled this off.
In lilly's garden. Soft and sweet, and still keeps that live.

Elevation-WinterKill. Never released, was never going to be, and to be in a crowd of about 20 in a fucking huge venue was mindblowing.

Therapy?-Knives/screamager. No more needs saying.

Tallica-Justice. The whole fucking album.Apart from one.

NIN-The live show, Moving them from "Band I really like" to "Gods"

WORST MOMENT-Dead Kennedys live WITHOUT Jello biafra. It just
didn't
work.
damn.

Yeah, such moments in music...i think some people can't even imagine that certain sonic patterns can cause higher endorphine levels than drugs :D

There are many Songs already said, btut I can also add stuff:
In Flames - Dead Eternity (towards the end of the last verse "..of the dead floating seemingly across the surface, nothing can help you now")
Or the second/third Lead in Slayer - Spirit in Black really kicks.

And of course much Death stuff - like the riff in Zero Tolerance immidiately before the solo (after "..fate is your deciding god"), as also the live in LA version of Spirit Crusher ("SPIRRIT CRUSHEEEERRRR!!")

and now a nasty, not enlightening evil part:
Bloodbath - Omnious Bloodvomit (at 2:40 or so)
Akerfeld growls in a distorted way..and that sounds really sick! :)

oh gullstone you make me want to eat curry and listen to cradle of filth while fucking ugly strippers

hmmmm

i totally get into that megadeth tune, In My Darkest Hour, when he starts screaming about "the pain"...

oh and on Poison Was the Cure....i just love that song....

Atheist's Mother Man.....the bass on that one just gets me goin...

At The Gates....Into the dead sky....i totally need that played at my funeral.

just about anything from Aghora...i get lost soooo easily listening to them.....i can sit and listen to a song for hours as it repeats...i especially like the song Transfiguration...i totally dig the chorus

dark tranquillity's monochromatic stains....i love the lil keyboard shit you hear in the background during the chorus......and i just like to scream out GET AWAY FROM ME!! And uh...Midway Through Ininity.

in flames' december flower is one of those songs i can just sit and listen to

Bal-Sagoth....Callisto Rising.....and almost any other song..i swear it, that guy's voice just seems so commanding, he could tell me to go rape a cow and slaughter a virgin while forcing a preacher to take a hot poker in the ass, and goddamnit i'd do it.

Bloodbath's Bathe In Blood, that song makes me wanna run through walls...

a lot of Acid Bath songs...some that stick out in my brain are...Venus Blue, Bones of Baby Dolls, Scream of the Butterfly....songs i can sing with while drunk...

the beginning of "turning black" by grave - when the chinese dude says "Bitches leave". That is so sweet.

The acoustic part in Zombie Inc.

All most every pink flyod song is awesome, untill after the first album they did without Waters.

Brooks said:
In no particular order.....
very diverse, Brooks. good to see someone around here who is not locked into a category.

Govt. Mule: Cortez the Killer live, dueling guitars with Marc Ford and Warren Haynes.
Porcupine Tree: too many to mention. atmospheric.
UFO: Rock Bottom. old school, never old. the first guitar solo ever to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Dev - Ocean Macine - The Death of Music.. how weird is this track.. but it fucking grows on you, and devs vocals r so deep man especially when it goes.. Its like a Death, becomes musical, its musical.

Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow - the whole fucking track man, maidens finest i tell you.. those who say the opeth covers better.. burn in hell :p

Beherit - Werewolf, Semen and Blood - the shuddering Deep Whispering Growls grr its creepy

Necromantia - De Magia Veterum - prolly 1 of the most disturbing things ive ever heard.. insane play this at midnight with all the lights off