moments

i am totally with the above two posters

agalloch should never have attempted Catchy Hit Single fodder, i mean it ain't bad but ehhh. and also that one drum fill is so fucking sloppy

Reactions: Demilich
Falling Snow turned me off of the entire Ashes album. I probably owe it a revisit eh?

That would be a bit extreme but I do agree that it cripples the starting dynamics of the album. Fortunately, it's the only such distraction and, well, "Our Fortress is burning" would redeem even an entire career of Falling Snows.

"Falling Snow" is not horrible but it wouldhave worked a whole lot better as a B side somewhere else methinks

Reactions: Demilich
eh, I stand by my falling snow moment, part rocks!:rofl:

So many good bits on those maudlin of the Well albums.

1:27 I still maintain that this is the heaviest riff I've ever heard. And I've been combing the world's music for heavy riffs for decades.

Yes--love that next transition after that par too! -They played that live when I saw them at the Stone (does not seem like it was five years ago already, jeez)--and I almost shat my pants. They played two sets, both had birth pains, I saw the setlist with stones of october sobbing, secret song, and two tracks off part the second.

one of these days i'll have to try and get into maudlin of the Well proper-like

i bought the albums like ten years ago and i still haven't listened to them and what i did hear i didn't much care for haha

but now i have higher tolerance for prog fuckery than i used to so maybe now...

I think Bath probably has the better individual songs with a few more fast tempo/great solos, but I think leaving your body map is the better overall album, definitely more doom/dirgey moments ---my favorite - and probably top three album of all time- NAD what do you think? Bath or LYBM?

Needs more Katatonia (will give some newer kat some love here as well)-

3:20-4:40 (might be my fav track off of bmd)

1:27 to 2:30

3:20-4:20

4:48 to 6:50ish

6:10 to 8:30

7:50 to 9:40

On a totally different note, circle of ouroborus' Armon Katellia album is chock full of these moments-- timeless riffs and melodies--very lofi and thin, -I recommend anyone into lowfi bm, especially of the finnish variety, check the album out-- although CoO has so much material they really do have a ton of gems in their discography -

3:12-4:15

I think Bath probably has the better individual songs with a few more fast tempo/great solos, but I think leaving your body map is the better overall album, definitely more doom/dirgey moments ---my favorite - and probably top three album of all time- NAD what do you think? Bath or LYBM?
I listen to them as one complete work, don't really consider them as separate entities. But I think your assessment is correct! Bath has the better songs, but Leaving Your Body Map is a more coherent album. By the time I get to Interlude 4 I always think "this is why the double album format was invented."

I listen to them as one complete work, don't really consider them as separate entities. But I think your assessment is correct! Bath has the better songs, but Leaving Your Body Map is a more coherent album. By the time I get to Interlude 4 I always think "this is why the double album format was invented."
yea I consider them a (and does does band I think I remember reading) double album too.

I'd need a gun to my head to choose between Bath, LYBM, and PtS. No way Jose. Ain't gonna happen.
They played revisitation of the blue ghost and laboratories of the invisible world live in 2015 :D

Reactions: Krilons Resa

The first 40 seconds of this song but specifically because of the contrast that it brings after the opening 13 minute epic. I don't like that 4-letter word very much but it certainly applies to There's No Wine Like The Blood's Crimson. And as that song quietly fades away, you suddenly get this massive wall of Beauty + Heavy that just floors me every time. I bought this album used at a record store in LA many years ago and it's possibly the most meaningful $9.99 I have ever spent.

I kept the price tag on the cover for some reason, and now that I think of it I picked up Snailking by Ufomammut that day, used as well. Yep, $4.99 for that one, says so right on the jewel case. What a deal! That was the day that an old washed up drummer was selling stickers that said A DRUM MACHINE TOOK MY JOB out front. Why do I remember this? Because I left those Amoeba Music price tags on there, I think.

Last edited:

And speaking of Snailking, this is a moment that has influenced me as a bassist and a human. For my own music, in terms of simplicity sometimes being best, when you get the formula correct. Considering that I overplay everywhere, reminders to dial it back like this are important. For my own existence, I have plagued so many eardrums with this one that the band themselves would probably blush.

The most bone-headed of all riffs, the minor second, overused and ruined by nu metal bands in the '90s, yet somehow absolutely perfect in the right context on this album from 2004. The most basic of things, fuzzbassopenstring, then daringly hitting the first fret on an accent... slow down killer that's some next level shit... but the vocals come howling in at 27 seconds and I lose my mind every time.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
2:17 to 2:47 and again from 3:17 to 3:45. It's like the clouds opening up above the death and doom and raising you up to another plane.

Not the best sound quality:

"Then I said in my silent mind
I’ve the same fate as the fool
How can all my wisdom serve me?
The wise must die like a fool"

Not quite what this thread is about, but when he swivels his hips at 2:28 in this video, it just cracks me up every time. In fact I'm pretty sure the first time I saw this I bought 3 more Immortal CDs immediately. Abbath makes me gay in the straight way.

Reactions: Ellestin
i disagree but it's hardly even worth mentioning because the entire album is just totally immortal throughout