Grilled Cheese and Memorable Moments

Momo

Mongoloid Elitist
Jan 24, 2005
Long Island N.Y
gikemo.homestead.com
On a previous thread I mentioned some M.O.D Live memorable moments. I have seen them a handful of times over the years. Best was at New Paltz at some farm in the muck and mud where the set list was incredible mix of MOD/SOD tunes. Any of you out there care to share some of your memorable show moments? I also enjoyed a sparsley attended but enthusiastic Halloween show M.OD did at the Limelight with a band called the Skatenigs opening up before I violated my parole.

Best Regards,

Momo

Momo said:
What reason did they give to cancel ? And no make up date ?

Best Regards,

Momo

there was a note taped to the front door saying show was cancelled due to personal reasons. thats all I remember. No make up date. I did write the webmaster of SOD.com and he was nice enough to write back but he didnt give a reason, just saying sorry and try to catch them in L.A.

My most memorable experience at an MOD show was back in 95 or 96, it was at the Penny Arcade in Rochester NY, they were playing with ProPain. I had met the guys from Propain before, and kind became frinds with them,and they warned me that if I met Billy he might start giving me shit for the hell of it and to give it back, but when I finally got to meet Billy he was really cool, and didnt give me any shit--it may have helped that I am 6'2 and about 250. But anyways he was really cool and gracious, we spoke for prob 30 mins

I saw them on that same tour they played a place called the Roxy here in Huntington Long Island. I was kinda dissapointed with the set list but I was just so excited to them I didn't care. I think the fact you were 6'2 250 definitley played a role in Billy being extra cool. I think he is used to pushing around skinny metal guys and nervous fans.

I wonder if Billy ever tangled with the guys from Crowbar or the lead singer of Tad ? I am trying to think of some other fat guys or built guys that Billy wouldn't give a hard time on the first meet. Any ideas ?

Best Regards,

Momo

Momo- I have known Billy for about 25 years, and although we constantly bust each others balls, I could not hope for a better freind, he is like a brother to me. I can tell you with complete certainty that despite his crusty (and sometimes crumby) exterior, he is a gentleman and does not push anybody around. if you step to him like a gentleman, he will treat you as one

also, i heard him and the fat guy from crowbar had a fight over the last chicken wing from catering, backstage at a show they played together in upstate new york

Anthony

my most memorable moment at an SOD show????????
at streets in new rochelle, between SOD and overkill's sets, i got a blowjob in my car from some chick at the show............
that and watching the pit from upstairs at the ritz (christmas show) the only time i have seen a pit more wild was the bad brains

Ant

antferrara said:
my most memorable moment at an SOD show????????
at streets in new rochelle, between SOD and overkill's sets, i got a blowjob in my car from some chick at the show............
that and watching the pit from upstairs at the ritz (christmas show) the only time i have seen a pit more wild was the bad brains

Ant

You surely Know Billy better than anyone else on the this board and usually the coolest guys are the ones with the gruffest exterior. I remember seeing your band the Functional Idiots at that New Paltz show and actually if my memory serves right at the Paladium (yes the Paladium folks). I actually have pics of that show at New Paltz of Billy Fishing.

As far as that Christmas show at the Ritz I would have given my right testicle to have been there but I was away at college on the west coast getting hazed. Also, Belated Congrats on the Blowjob.

In addition I always appreciated bands like yours from that era that took their band/music seriously and their lust for fun just as serious , but NOT themselves seriously. Groups like yours believe it or not inspired a lot of other bands that have long been forgotten or that you have never heard of.

Finally, in the interest of topping your crowbar/chicken quip , I heard the guy from Crowbar renamed the band Dovebar.

Best Regards,

Momo

The13thCandle said:
my only SOD memory is them cancelling the day of the show here in Vegas. I waited 14 years to see them and they cancel.

The promoter of the club tried to force a band on the bill that was not supposed to play. We had 3 bands on the road, SOD-CROWBAR and SKINLAB.
That was enough. He tried to push us around and tell us well skinlab can't play, So we said see you later. We owed it to Skinlab and Crowbar to stick to the package. There was a bunch of other things, Chief Bitchy's drumset was bigger than the stage and the PA was pure shit. But Whatever. That is just the truth.

Buzzard said:
What do you mean by Grilled Chesse???

I pretty much put grilled cheese in the title of the thread to get peoples attention. Rather than the typical blah-be-da-blah-blah stuff. Plus I figured who the fuck doesn't like grilled cheese. However, I am not a fan of Grilled Cheese with bacon. I like my grilled cheese old school with just tomatoes.

Best Regards,

Momo

kidgcsm.jpg

Momo,
you were at the toga at lembo lake and also the new music seminar show at paladium? we (idiots) had fun playing, glad you enjoyed it.
so you were getting hazed on the west coast?
i will guess you were not a POW, so what fraternity were you being hazed by?

Ant

Yes I was at the show at the Paladium New music seminar show which if I recall had a lineup of Warzone,Lunachicks,Murphy's Law, Your band, and the Bosstones. Their probably were more but too much head trauma has seriously fucked my memory. I remember like a 4 foot barrier was constructed to keep fans away from the stage which totally killed any chance of a fun time.

I remember Warzone being awful, Murphy's had a Budweiser beer ball but since we were barricaded and couldnt participate on stage or even near it, it was like watching Murphy's play in a museum. The Lunachicks were ok. As far as the Bosstones, it was my first and last time seeing them. They didnt impress me and I really didn't get why they got so much buzz at the time.

As far as fraternity I attended San Diego State and was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi who believe it or not just got put on probation for hazing for 3 or 4 years for it's diabolical hazing practices.

What are the functional idiots up to now. Still together ?

I have a link where you can view the Lembo Lake pics. Lembo Lake Toga Party

Momo, bosstones did not play that palladium show, but you did forget about nuclear assault and agnostic front.
the idiots have been inactive for awhile, originally due to geographic difficulties (we are currently spread out from northern jersey to boston) and also work/family responsibilities
2 members Gurdy and Doug Beans currently play in a band called Hellride 102

do you , by any chance have other photos from that toga party at lembo lake?

Ant

I have about a half a dozen more that I will have to dig up. I will post them Monday on my site. In exchange I want to be the first to know if there is ever a Functional Idiot reunion show.

Also is that Toga party a annual event? Or has the community or college managed to fuck up more fun in this age of Political correctness? After you mentioned it, I do remember Agnostic at the Palladium they must have gone on very late . Odds are that I was passed out on the LIRR heading back to the Island when AF hit the stage. Nuclear Assault playing I have no recollection of at all. At that point hadn't Dan left the band and was playing with Brutal Truth Right ?

Momo,
the idiots are inactive and will probably stay that way. we all have different responsibilities and are separated by geography and there are other situations that would make it impossible right now.

the best i could hope to do, is dupe some songs onto cd for ya in exchange for the pics

yeah, Lilker played that show