Growing out of metal?

I think if one listens to a variety of different musical forms, one never will be bored. Perhaps in ten or twenty years, most of us will become mildly obsessed with another musical genre, and listen to metal on the side. I know I like metal because of its depth; there are so many genres.

I am getting very very tired with straight ahead metal; anything too metal--anything at all derivative or non distinct. Nowdays the band has to offer something different for me to even listen to them twice.

I'll never stop listening to metal. People tend to listen to the music they grew up with all of their lives. I started listening to metal over 15 years ago, and I will definitely still be listening to metal 15 years from now.

I've been listening to metal for about 4-5 years now, extreme/underground metal for about 3 of those. I can't see metal completely leaving my life ever but it definitely won't play such an important part when I get further on in life. In the past year or so I've been making an effort to broaden my horizons and become more open-minded in what I listen to as I don't want to be restricted to metal all the time, although I think people's musical tastes tend to broaden naturally as they get older.

Im 32 and never grown out of it though i do listen to other types of music genre's because i was exposed to them when i used to work in record stores in my early 20's...

hmmmmmm,I'm 16 and quite sad for it.

metal...metal came 3 years ago,and stayed.....and how much corny is it,I've started listening to metal for the usual teeny rage.I guess,with me growing and stopping being the usual frustrated adolescent my music obsession will start to fade...

what I liked about metal the most is that it could be sth only mine,other ppl didn't understand....

well,my metal library has grown over the years,but it is vey hard for me to get new albums for place that I live in is god forsaken.

the biggest disappointment in metal.....when I started getting to know "metal-heads".

I wouldn't exactly use the term 'growing out of' its more or less seeking change or just simply looking for something new.

Do you foresee yourself ever growing out of metal entirely as middle and finally old age approach?
As long as their are origional bands and as long as I keep on making music I will love metal untill the day my username is incribed unto an epitaph :p

The fact that I didn't start listening to metal (or any of my music for that matter) because I was *angry* about something is one indicator that I will always enjoy it.

I once heard, that the kind of music one is listening to at the age of 18 will stay with them all their lives (although of course people also get into new styles or abandon singular bands, that grew boring on them)...

skinnybone said:
the biggest disappointment in metal.....when I started getting to know "metal-heads".
I know what you mean.
But onw has to see beyond the "scene" - there are still intelligent/nice/whatever positive people listening to metal.
+ The music is not identical with the people listening to it..

There is no way to know. I can't make a guess b/c my musical taste has changed in the past, so I don't see why it could not in the future.

crimsonfloyd said:
In the past five years, the time I have been seriously into music, I have gone through several shifts in my musical tastes. Looking back at each "period", they all reflect where I was at the time when the music was most important to me. Of course as we change and grow we don't simply leave our past behind us, but rather keep certain elements and leave others. In the same way I still love some of the albums I listened to when I was 14, others I could care less for. I still listen to and love Fiona Apple as much as I did when I fourteen, because she has a certain way of expressing feelings and reflecting on herself that I can very much relate to. On the other hand, Korn, who I once was so deeply moved by now don't do much of anything for me. I simply can't relate to their way of expressing pain and regret in the way I once could.
Probably the most thoughtful and wonderfully written posts of yours I've had the pleasure of reading, and I agree with what you're saying entirely. I feel much the same way, except I never really liked Korn. ;)

I can still crank a Godsmack album like I did back in '98 and feel all the same great feelings over again...and regardless of how varied my tastes have come in all these years, sometimes it's great to feel 16 again and listen to the simple music of a simpler time. And that's why I think outgrowing metal will be out of the question. There are the memories attached to certain songs that we may never outgrow. At least, not me.

I love threads like this. Nostalgia is wonderful, especially when mixed with thoughts of the future. And metal, of course. :)

Cheers, hombre.

I've never been afraid to bare it all on this board. Why do you think GoD and VVVVV pretend to respect me? ;) :lol: