growl

ChildrenOfBodom

New Metal Member
Sep 4, 2004
Hi all, first id like to say Kalmah fucking rules!!! :worship:

the reason i am asking you this, is i heard some nice songs some of the forum members have recordet. I would like some help from you if possible.

Is there any way to get startet on growling?

Any specific tricks that could help me?

I'd like to get as much help as possible :D

:headbang: Stay Heavy :headbang:

Well not that i know much about the matter, but i think the "thing" is to do your best not to use your throat at all. If you growl "with your throat" it will start bleeding and cause lots of pain. If i remember correctly Henrik Wenngren of Skyfire wrote something about starting the training with learning to make somewhat growlingtype sound without using the throat but using your diaphragm (is that the right word? :loco: ) to pull up air and "form" it into a growl. Of course different growlers use different tacticues.

Infernium said:
Well not that i know much about the matter, but i think the "thing" is to do your best not to use your throat at all. If you growl "with your throat" it will start bleeding and cause lots of pain. If i remember correctly Henrik Wenngren of Skyfire wrote something about starting the training with learning to make somewhat growlingtype sound without using the throat but using your diaphragm (is that the right word? :loco: ) to pull up air and "form" it into a growl. Of course different growlers use different tacticues.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to attempt that! lol

I have a good growl but I can only do it with throat, so I can only pull off very short (but deadly) growls, so it would be great if somebody would properly explain how to growl without using your throat. Also, is it really that dangerous to growl with throat?

At the gates, i love his voice but it sounds more like just screaming. Then more awesome vocals are arsis, the black dahlia murder, and of course kalmah.

Well, I want to know more too!! Some ppl use effects, other probably not! Like Dani Filth from COF! or Angela from Arch Enemy! And yes it could damage your throats if you do so! I'm not yet a Doctor, but I'm studying medicine and I know! Because I've tried lol, I can do amazing vocals but I need an amp so that it sounds loud!
If anyone knows more about the topic, let him speak! lol

as far as shagrath he sings amazing, live also.. i dont know exactly what you mean by samples?

Dani is cool too, nice and different..
and may i ask what an amp does :D

ChildrenOfBodom said:
as far as shagrath he sings amazing, live also.. i dont know exactly what you mean by samples?

Dani is cool too, nice and different..
and may i ask what an amp does :D

Live his voice goes through computer which adds samples to it. It sure is a nice growl but i personally respect those more who growl purely with their own voice.

Good news! I found it!!
"Most singers can't growl throughout their entire range, so don't be too concerned if you can growl on some notes, but not others.
First, gargle some water. Now create that same gargling thing without the water. You'll sense that you're using your false vocal folds or glottis to create the sound. This is the safe way to go :). You can try growling on a few notes now. If it doesn't come easily, make sure your throat is totally relaxed. Then make a sound like an animal growl; then try to combine the growl with singing. Don't try to push the sound to be loud. The growl can be relatively soft (you're less likely to hurt your voice this way, too).
With some experimentation, almost anyone can learn to growl this way."
-Taken from Musician forums-
Hope this helps ":} Haven't tried it yet!

Kalma|-| said:
Good news! I found it!!
"Most singers can't growl throughout their entire range, so don't be too concerned if you can growl on some notes, but not others.
First, gargle some water. Now create that same gargling thing without the water. You'll sense that you're using your false vocal folds or glottis to create the sound. This is the safe way to go :). You can try growling on a few notes now. If it doesn't come easily, make sure your throat is totally relaxed. Then make a sound like an animal growl; then try to combine the growl with singing. Don't try to push the sound to be loud. The growl can be relatively soft (you're less likely to hurt your voice this way, too).
With some experimentation, almost anyone can learn to growl this way."
-Taken from Musician forums-
Hope this helps ":} Haven't tried it yet!

thanks man! ill try it.. next step will be making high screams like dani :OMG:

Well, I can get you the screaming topic if you want! ":} I got everything hehehehe

hehehehe. I'll try to find it first on my pc, because its a mess here! then ill pm u. ":}