Growl?

For me, good growling is utterly ferocious and psychotic sounding and belted out with straight-from-the-heart passion.

That said, Johan Hegg is the undisputed heavy weight champion of growlers as far as i'm concerned.

Kampfar's singer also stands out for me. He incorporates tongue-rolls into his growls (à la the ol' "R-r-r-r-r-r-uffles have r-r-r-r-r-r-ridges" commercials) like i've never heard anyone else do. It's fuckin' awesome!

I like Johan's growls alot ... some others I enjoy : Randy Blythe, George Fisher, Angela Gossow.

George and Angela have great growls, but Randy's is more of a metalcore scream, when Lamb of God was Burn the Priest he still kinda screamed, but its good none the less

Mikael Akerfeldt
Mikael Stanne
Johan Hegg
Jeff Walker (Carcass)
George Fisher
James Malone (Arsis)
Frank Mullen (Suffocation)

James Malone is a badass but his vocals are mostly a black metalesque sound in my oppinion(not much of a death growl).. I think darren cesca covers the deep growls and shrieks every now and then.

Arsis deserves more love though...

If you want really brutal voxx try Wormed. Or beyond that some Devourment or some other slam death like Dripping, Soils of Fate, Meathook, etc.

Why is everyone so worked up over Stanne? The Gallery is my favorite album of all time, but I've never thought of him as a particularly impressive vocalist.

Interesting.
He sings in the same style as Frieden, Lindberg, Forse, and a bunch of the other Gothenburg melodeath vocalists.