Guilty Pleasures

god did I hate that money for nothing song, sad thing is its a great guitar riff for the first 30 seconds

Beds are Burning was catchy
The Men at Work songs were too

The first 4 Billy Joel albums are awesome, have them on vinyl since new. I stopped following after Stranger. Travelin Prayer, Ballad of Billy the Kid, Captian Jack, The Entertainer, Summer Highland Falls, Angry Young Man, The Stranger, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Vienna... I was into him big in the mid 70's, one of the best concerts I ever saw. Completely blew my mind when I first heard the album Piano Man in its entirety, I was sold, the guy could write songs and play the ass off a piano, then he seemd to go pop which seemed like a contradiction to some of his earlier lyrics but maybe there was hidden gems on the later albums I never heard.

I'm not that familiar with Midnight Oil. What are some of their good songs?

Used to love them when I was young. Their earlier stuff is their strongest material imo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_ueRkcvII&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I walk the fucking line.

Some more:
Sum 41
Dire Straits
Asia
Pearl Jam

And I fucking love west coast hip-hop. N.W.A are awesome.

There's no need to feel guilty about liking Johnny Cash.

Specially being how he's dead.... right?
Or is it because he wore.... "black" ?
He had this sudden jump in popularity amounst the younger crowd as he approached death, redid what ? some Manson or NIN song ?

Prior to that he was just thought of as another one of those old hookie C&W guys.... if he was thought of at all outside of the old C&W listeners that remembered him.

He had this sudden jump in popularity amounst the younger crowd as he approached death, redid what ? some Manson or NIN song ?

Prior to that he was just thought of as another one of those old hookie C&W guys.... if he was thought of at all outside of the old C&W listeners that remembered him.

Actually, my father has been singing "Folsom Prison Blues" to me since I was born. Johnny Cash has much more appeal than most of "those old hookie C&W guys", so yeah it was inevitable that "the younger crowd" would get into his music, what the fuck is wrong with that? Do you really think that people only like his music because he wore black and covered a NIN song? Stop being such a jaded old cunt.

I walk the fucking line.

Some more:
Sum 41
Dire Straits
Asia
Pearl Jam

And I fucking love west coast hip-hop. N.W.A are awesome.

What the fuck is with all these Dire Straits mentions? Knopfler is a badass, and Dire Straits were a sick fucking band.

Come on razor, Johnny Cash was rock n' fuckin' roll, back when it was just getting started! Hell, he played with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. Songs like Folsom Prison, Cocaine Blues... those were rock songs, not country & western.

His modern stuff is more folk/Americana-oriented than strict country. And his cover of "Hurt" was heart-breaking.

jaded old cunt.

Fucker ! Finally got me, I'll give you a ten pointer for that one... but know... I'll be back for more.
-------------------------------------------------------------

STN and EHJ. I knew you guys would think I was downing him, I do know some of his song writing history and the group that used to hang... where-ever, some bar in Nashville? Who was it ? Willy, Johnny, Hagard? Jennings?, Patsy Cline ? Probably Kristoferson (excuse my name spelling Im not a close follower of this kind of music and cant spell anyhow... lol) There is good interesting stories on this group of social and music colaborators.

I dont recall missing any of his "variety show" when I was a kid. I did think he was hookie and was never much on that sliding around the proper pitch of the note those old country singers did. That and overly simplisitic, real old school, would be all I'd critize them for.

I do think his recent popularity came from what I mentioned and is why I said it... no other reason. I hadnt heard much if anything about him for decades prior outside of country music or old RnR talk. Good to see people recognize him but I wouldnt get too carried away as far as his musical talent, great story teller would seem more like it. He was no Elvis in other words. Not even a Willy I dont think, might be open to preference.

His modern stuff is more folk/Americana-oriented than strict country. And his cover of "Hurt" was heart-breaking.

Thats part of being country and western, not a strictly defined genre either, theres alot of country in this country

Hurt may have been his most moving performance, I never really think of him for moving performances. Maybe theres something I forgot ?

I can't think of anything except maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers and Chevelle and tbh I don't see anything wrong with them still. If anything I'm guilty of being a tool that listens to too much metal.

The band I'd call my quilty pleasure is probably Incubus, and I don't even feel guilty for liking their music. It's nice, relaxing and soothing on a hot summerday.

Unlike some of you I have actual guilty pleasures.
ABBA
The Pointer Sisters - I'm so Excited
The first Ace of Base album
Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Hit me with your rhythm stick (they and ABBA being the least 'guilty' and most 'good'.