Guitar Center

Guitar Center (in Spokane, there isn't one anywhere near where I live) pissed me off because all thier guitars on display are fucked up, out of tune, not intonated, and have stupid shit wrong with them. I played one, which ended up being the only one I could actually play, and the pickups were too high on it so it scratched. I had some dildo looking at me from afar (a GC employee) giving me the stink eye because he thought I was fucking up the guitar. If only he'd fuckin come over and I could tell him "hey dude, maybe you should lower the pickup on this a little, it's rubbin on the strings", the problem would be solved. But NOOO...just stink eye. Fuck them....

How many of you are actually dickheads like that? I'm just asking because I know that being a public nuissance can be very exhilarating.

OP - If you want a wrench, go to a hardware store.

Edit: my my my how unprofessional of me

THE TRUTH COMES OUT MISTER "ACCESSORIES" DEPARTMENT!

:lol::lol:

I'm just messing with you.
But gawddamn I'd hate to work at GC. The people that come in their suck, the equipment sucks, most of the employees must suck. It's just a sucky time all around. I never come out of there feeeling good. Only taken from.

Guitar Center (in Spokane, there isn't one anywhere near where I live) pissed me off because all thier guitars on display are fucked up, out of tune, not intonated, and have stupid shit wrong with them. I played one, which ended up being the only one I could actually play, and the pickups were too high on it so it scratched. I had some dildo looking at me from afar (a GC employee) giving me the stink eye because he thought I was fucking up the guitar. If only he'd fuckin come over and I could tell him "hey dude, maybe you should lower the pickup on this a little, it's rubbin on the strings", the problem would be solved. But NOOO...just stink eye. Fuck them....

It's the same at our store. The salesmen simply don't clean. You walk in and are disgusted at the guitar selection in a minute, so you must understand how we warehouse guys feel. I'm the inventory guy. It extends a little beyond that; I take care of everything short of t selling an item to a person. But it's like pulling teeth to get any particular salesman to actually clean or properly merchandise products.

I am on your side here. The guitars ARE filthy. Most salesmen do not put any effort into maintaining them. My point is that there are individual people responsible for the shitty-looking guitars, so blame them, not Guitar Center.

THE TRUTH COMES OUT MISTER "ACCESSORIES" DEPARTMENT!

:lol::lol:

I'm just messing with you.
But gawddamn I'd hate to work at GC. The people that come in their suck, the equipment sucks, most of the employees must suck. It's just a sucky time all around. I never come out of there feeeling good. Only taken from.

The people that come in don't suck. If they're new, so what? We were all new at one time, and you can't dog a guy because he doesn't know how to change strings. You can't blame someone for not knowing about weather hazards, or not knowing when to go to a hardware store when one needs a wrench.

And if you're an experienced player, guess what? We carry thousands of shit. You can try it before you buy it. If you're waving money at a salesman, he's gonna treat you like you own him. Because, guess what? YOU DO.

The shitty thing about most salesmen is that they're unresponsive when you don't wave the money around. If you're coming in to check out the selection or play an amp before you order one online, you're like to get dirty treatment. This doesn't make sense to me, because dude, we're around so you can come in and test an amp and buy it from someone else. We're cool like that. I don't understand why some (or even most) salesmen don't capitalize on that mentality, because if we give you an evil eye for that, then you're NOT likely to come back to buy the footswitch you didn't get because you bought a used amp.

---

Keep in mind, Guitar Center is a business, and they're in business to make money. That's the absolute bottom line. Customer service SHOULD be a part of the bottom line for the salesmen, but if it's not, that's who you blame, because they're shitty employees. If you don't believe me, hire them to come work with you.

The people that come in don't suck. If they're new, so what? We were all new at one time, and you can't dog a guy because he doesn't know how to change strings. You can't blame someone for not knowing about weather hazards, or not knowing when to go to a hardware store when one needs a wrench.
Keep in mind, Guitar Center is a business, and they're in business to make money. That's the absolute bottom line. Customer service SHOULD be a part of the bottom line for the salesmen, but if it's not, that's who you blame, because they're shitty employees. If you don't believe me, hire them to come work with you.

Dude you misinterpreted what I wrote. By "People that come in suck." I meant their attitudes are generally shitty, not their playing.
I'm not the greatest player, I don't know who is aside from a few choice players.
I don't bash kids that are new to playing

I WORK IN RETAIL too... part time. It sucks. I know because I hate my job., and the people that come in the majority don't like salesmen and so they act oddly towards one, and most of the time I just throw it back cause I'm a dick like that.

I been to the GC around here countless times and it sucks overall, the entire experience for me. Overall all it's shitty, theres some dudes that are cool though. If I were you I wouldn't take GC shit talk so personally after all I'm an internet fuckface. GC is a necessary evil in my mind.

It's the same at our store. The salesmen simply don't clean. You walk in and are disgusted at the guitar selection in a minute, so you must understand how we warehouse guys feel. I'm the inventory guy. It extends a little beyond that; I take care of everything short of t selling an item to a person. But it's like pulling teeth to get any particular salesman to actually clean or properly merchandise products.

I am on your side here. The guitars ARE filthy. Most salesmen do not put any effort into maintaining them. My point is that there are individual people responsible for the shitty-looking guitars, so blame them, not Guitar Center.

The point is *I* get evaluated for my work at my job...does Guitar Center not evaluate thier employees? It can't be THAT hard to do SOMETHING as a floor associate there...

So I blame Guitar Center for not only hiring pinheads who think they don't have to do anything, but keeping them after months of not doing anything.:lol:

Don't snap at Aeternus, not yet anyways...

Example: anyone who has worked for even a couple of weeks knows that musicians can be forgetful. So they assume that after they lost the power adapter for their 1980's Korg keyboard that anyone can just walk in and buy the exact, correct power adapter, right? This, friends, would be classified as a fail. Music stores are not parts depots. Because only a very small percentage of customers walk in looking for these items, they are not regular stock as they are deemed unprofitable. Moral of the story, as far as music stores go, don't expect them to have anything, because if you hope for the best but plan for the worst, nothing can touch you.

That being said, in the community that is music retail chains, it is well known that GC has a revolving door policy regarding it's employees and don't give a damn about them. I have never worked there, but I think everyone can understand that working somewhere where you're considered human trash and extremely expendable sucks badly. This is compounded when the customers treat these people like know-nothings when in reality they're just human and probably know a fair bit, just not about the one thing they're inquiring about. This is a major contributor to Guitar Center's HUGE turnover rate.

It's not that they don't have the answers, it's the fact that they BS. For instance, I take a guitar back that I bought for a beginner student of mine that had a crack in the finish and here's the reply I get. "They're all like that, sometimes you just don't notice it on the other ones". Thanks... :Smug: My local GC just hired a shit load of chicks (no they're not hot) and all they seem to know is the difference between an acoustic and electric guitar. I'll go every now and then to check out some new gear but for the most part I stick with my local shop that is top notch on every aspect :)

Yeah, fuck yeah for supporting your local music shop(s)! Unless they're incompetent assholes, as one of the three Oneonta music stores is (but I try to divide my bidness equally between the other two! :D)

OP - If you want a wrench, go to a hardware store.
Actually, what you do is call them first to see if they have it. You go if they say yes and you don't if they say no (they said no). At Guitar Center, yes apparently means "I have no fucking clue".

But maybe I'm being too hard on them. Perhaps it was a bit ridiculous of me to think that a guitar store that sells guitar-related accessories would stock a certain guitar-related accessory if I asked them on the phone and they said yes.

My point is that there are individual people responsible for the shitty-looking guitars, so blame them, not Guitar Center.
This would be like the CEO of McDonald's saying "Don't blame McDonald's if you constantly get pubic hairs in your food, blame the individual servers for scratching their crotches and not washing their hands". This wouldn't make sense because individual responsibility increases as you go up the corporate chain, not down. The corporate entity ultimately owns all the responsibility since it is made up by everyone who works there. The people higher up are responsible for not enforcing stricter sanitary standards. If you get a nugget shaped like a deformed chicken head, chances are you won't sue the cashier who sold it you.

All this talk of GC moments has made me recall some more instances. I'm going to vent them now.

One time my cousin and I went to Guitar Center to try out some Gibsons and a worker there was warm and friendly and helped take the guitars off the wall for us to test. When we were done, we gave the guitars back to someone else and decided to leave the store. The same guy stops us on our way out and asks when we were planning to buy one. I said we didn't know and he got all cold on us and said "oh okay" as if a girl he liked told him she was getting married. It may sound like I go there often, but these incidents make up like a half the times I've been to that store in the last 3 years.

This store really has deserved their notoriety for having condescending employees and clueless ones (people have made animations on this). I think the condescension comes from being overly eager to sell stuff since they get commission. I've often been in situations where they try to sell me stuff I don't need, and when I refuse to buy it, they act as if I'm making a dumb mistake. I was buying a used bass over the phone from an out-of-town Guitar Center, and the guy told me it would be extremely risky to ship the bass without me buying a $100 hard shell case to put it in. I said that lots of guitars are shipped safely without hard shell cases and large companies like Music Go Round do it all the time. He then completed the transaction with a shitty "you have no idea what you're doing" attitude as if I just asked him to ship me an egg in a large metal box. I ended up getting a well-padded beautiful SRX705 for a little over $300 so the dude was full of shit and he knew it. Why did he have such an attitude then? Anyways, the awesomeness of the bass made me forget the experience (until now of course).

However, they do have the best selection and prices in town (at least in my area), but that's because Mars Music and Brook Mays went down under. The only two big music stores I know of here is Mr. E's and Guitar Center. The closest local music store to me doesn't carry name brand gear, is twice as expensive for basic accessories like guitar strings, and is maybe a fifth the size of Guitar Center. The dude there is really nice and knowledgeable though, so I go there every once in awhile to get something. If the price and selection at my local store was even remotely competitive, I'd be going there all the time. Actually, I mostly get my stuff used on ebay or craiglist :lol:.

Look, I understand that no business is perfect. But in order for any to succeed, they need to know what their customers think. This is why companies spend so much money and time on surveys and comment cards. This also benefits the consumer since they'll be more aware of what to expect. Guitar Center is still in business despite some of the crappy service because I think people just want a certain piece of gear at a low price. You have to pay a premium for good service, and I think people would rather put up with some douchery for a lower price (maybe it's an American thing like Wal-Mart). When I lived in Spain, I noticed that people would pay a lot more for good service like at places such as El Corte Inglés. My Spanish friend was buying a laptop there and when they said they were out of stock of the model he wanted, they offered to have one shipped overnight from a different location for free (my friend said he needed the laptop before he left the city the next day). The salesmen was nice, knowledgeable, and seemed to really care about his client's concerns. The laptop was way more expensive than in the US though (which to be fair is probably mostly due to import taxes).

It sucks for the fact that GC doesn't even need to give a shit about their customers or employees...the pricing of the gear and the location of their stores (near shitty local shops stocked with a few solid state marshalls and line6 shit for ridiculous prices) sells itself.

I never really find a problem with GuitarCenter as a business - but for the most part it's those who work there. Think about it, basically the kids working there are the same douche kids who shop there. I sometimes get the same attitude from other bands I play shows with. Egos man.

Make sure next time you go into a guitar center, if the employees act like dicks, just find the most out of tune guitar there, pick a crappy sounding amp, crank it up, and play enter sandman for 3 hours straight.

This must be a common tactic. I suspect there must also be a shitload of people who hate Guitar Center too cause everytime I go to a Guitar center there's always a few people murdering some song on an out of tune guitar through an awful sounding amp turned up too loud.

Don't snap at Aeternus, not yet anyways...

Example: anyone who has worked for even a couple of weeks knows that musicians can be forgetful. So they assume that after they lost the power adapter for their 1980's Korg keyboard that anyone can just walk in and buy the exact, correct power adapter, right? This, friends, would be classified as a fail. Music stores are not parts depots. Because only a very small percentage of customers walk in looking for these items, they are not regular stock as they are deemed unprofitable. Moral of the story, as far as music stores go, don't expect them to have anything, because if you hope for the best but plan for the worst, nothing can touch you.

But he called and asked them if they had a specific thing and they said yes, then when he got there they not only DIDN'T have it but they treated him like a douche. I've had the exact same experience too.

I called and asked if they had a quartet of EL-84 tubes in stock and the guy said yes. I get there, cash in hand, ready to buy and they only have pairs of 6L6's or EL-34's. Clearly the asshole didn't look and/or doesn't know the difference so wtf is he doing working there? If they had sales people that had a clue and weren't assholes, they'd be a pretty damn successful business. Amazing that they do as well as they do as it is.

On the other hand, I have occasionally considered applying for a job there just for the discount, etc but I've also seen some of the retards that come in looking for the most 'shredding, crushing amp for $50?'. I think part of the problem is most GC employees assume everyone is that super retarded n00b.

I'm not saying it's not their fault always, I'm just saying that it's not always their fault.

The truth is, GC goes through people so fast, they'll hire anyone. Even if they don't know anything. Like the chicks one poster mentioned that only know the difference between an acoustic and electric guitar and God help you if you ask them if they have any acoustic/electrics because their head will probably implode. But in the specific case that Metally Guitarded stated, it was equally good a chance that the employee looked it up in the Point of Sale system (the computer) and it said they had one. Anyone who has worked at a music store knows that the computer can be a dirty, lying, petty little bastard who does nothing but shoot stock errors at you in order to humiliate you in front of your customer. When they come in after the phone call and ask for it and you go to find it, surprise, it's not there and then everyone's unhappy. Preventative solution, ask them to physically locate it while you hold the line. If they're holding it in their hand, they can be pretty sure it exists, as opposed to some theoretical piece of stock that the computer told them they have.

But all that being said, yeah, GC sucks :) .

And +1 to Marcus on supporting the local Mom & Pop establishments.

f0000ck so i had a big rant n schpeal typed but but the login messed me up and i lost it. and it made sense, oh i promise :)

But being a guitar salesman at GC i felt obliged to say something.

-You get paid CRAP at a smaller store and can barely get by in life.

-There are a few knowledgeable employees who work there. If you really want to be sure they have something when you call, ask for a manger and then do the transaction with them. I know people who do that all the time. Or get to know one smart person there and always work with them.

But long story short, the corporation treats us like shit, we feel like shit, and then treat people the way we do. And don't give me the schpeal my manager does, who says i'm being a little kid and that i should just get a real job if i'm not gonna work well at the one i'm at. Cause the reply to that is i have a lot more shit to buy dammit!

crap... and i have to go back there tomorrow... with our GREAT cut hours! A full time job with 4 1/2 hour shifts 5 days a week. OH JOY!

pukeface.gif

-You get paid CRAP at a smaller store and can barely get by in life.

Actually I work at a family owned music store that has to compete with a GC in town and I consistently get 40 hours every week, and I was able to completely put together my studio in the first year that I worked there with all the money that I made. I like everything better about working for my company instead of GC except that their employees get better deals on gear than I do :mad: