Guitar recording : different guitar, amp... between left and right side

It's true, it will still sound wider. Add Frank's hot sauce to something, it will taste spicy. Maybe that's as spicy as you want it. But add Dave's Insanity Sauce, and it will be a HELL of a lot spicier. One isn't right, one isn't wrong. I'm saying if you want WIDER stereo image, vary the tone. If you want it to sound like one big guitar all around you go with one setting on each side.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/631208/Robbie Final.mp3
identical settings on each side would like to have a word with you

what makes shit sound wide is those minute differences in the playing, literally the 3-5ms shit you proclaimed shit should be pocketed to, not different fucking amp settings. that'll make your guitars sound more interesting if done right, but it isnt as huge a fucking difference as you proclaim it to be.
and hell if the same settings on both sides is good enough for andy sneap, its good enough for me. And don't get me wrong, you seem to generally know your shit, you do good mixes, but this just seems pretty fucking moronic on your part.
And just for posterity, I was making a Revalver preset for Ryan earlier, so I loaded up the project file (of the mix i linked to funnily enough) and swapped out 7170 on the left channel for revalver, dialled in a tone, saved it as a preset and sent it to ryan. just out of curiosity for how the 2 different amp sims and settings would sound together, i turned up that guitar track until the volumes were equal, i heard very little difference between either. it was no more stereo sounding than it did before, and according to you, it should do? you say "BUT ITS A DIGITAL VST AMP SIM MAAAAN" and i'll slap you. it was no less stereo sounding either. it didn't even sound all that different, and if im being honest, the ever so slightly different high end coming frm the left speaker was annoying me a little bit.

Tell us to learn our shit all you want, but I think it's you who needs to learn your shit.

I listened to this clip, and nothing about it sounds wide if you're talking about the rhythm guitars. It just sounds big and loud. I honestly don't mean to sound snide, but that example kinda helped prove my point. I'm saying that constructively. I like this community, and I'm by no means here to make enemies or sound pompous, but if that clip has 2 guitars panned hard left and hard right, and they have the same settings, and you're asking me say they sound wide and away from each other, they just don't. They DEFINITELY exist on the left and right speakers, in stereo, BUT, the summation of the guitars just results in one big guitar sound instead of a wide stereo sound.

Are you wearing headphones while you make the judgment calls on stuff like your setting-swap test here? That can aid in separating the guitars for your listening environment. If you aren't wearing headphones, what is your playback system for what you're hearing?

We'll I guess I'm a fan of 'Big' MONO then :S.... Big guitars = good...(and they sound wide enough for me!)

maybe on my the 3 songs Im recording I'll pan the mesa left and the 5150 right and see...if not i'll just have one each side...

I'm still not too sure on 'big mono' though...

at what point do the guitars become stereo and not 'big mono'.?
that's what I don't get..

I thought it was either MONO or stereo.

Also, I did not make up the term Big Mono. Big Mono (or Loud Mono as someone else said, although I've never seen that term used congruently) is a term used to describe exactly what happens when the same track is panned hard left and copied and panned hard right. it's definition extends into what happens when extremely similar signals are on the left and the right as well.

I explained well my point of view and I said "If he record the same riff at least two times" and this will make a stereo, and that is a fact. I didnt said anything about coping the track and panned in the other side and now you are changing your definition of big mono. If you think that different settings and differents amp make a big and wider stereo it´s an opinion but does not invalidate the fact that same amps and settings also generates a stereo. Yes a stereo, not a mono as you said.

If what I posted was unclear, what I'm saying is, using the same settings limits you in your perception of what is happening on the left versus the right.

using different settings helps your brain decipher what is happening on the right and on the left. if you want one big guitar sound, OBVIOUSLY different takes of the same tone will still sound nice and big in the stereo spectrum, and they will not phase each other out at the center, or into the center, BUT my point is, when you vary the tones, you are able to achieve wider stereo feel based on what your brain is decoding.

Also, I did not make up the term Big Mono. Big Mono (or Loud Mono as someone else said, although I've never seen that term used congruently) is a term used to describe exactly what happens when the same track is panned hard left and copied and panned hard right. it's definition extends into what happens when extremely similar signals are on the left and the right as well.

saying that the strings move at different frequencies is exactly right, but that's also basically the same thing as saying when a stone falls in japan, it creates a ripple effect that moves molecules in the deep sea of the baltic. all existential nuances of the sound and its physical properties aside, what i'm saying is this:

- yes you can achieve a BIG sound with the same amp settings. and that may be exactly what some people LIKE and are going for. they won't cancel each other out like my karaoke example, i just cited that as an extreme example of the realtionship of your left and right channels and how they interact in the center.

- yes you can use the same DI track, move it a few milliseconds later and get that oddly shifted feel of the track surrounding you as well... if you want to call that stereo... reamp that DI again and yeah the air will move a little different on the second take and you'll get a slightly different version from the L to the R and it will still appear to be in stereo. I agree with all of that.

- but ALSO yes, your ears will hear the signals with more distinction in the stereo field if the tone settings from the left differ from the tone settings on the right. and with pseudoharmonic stereo wideners, you are able to phase out the center frequencies even more to keep pushing them out and out and out before they reach the point of cancellation.

i'm actually surprised at how heated this became.

"wow, that escalated rather quickly... I mean that really got out of hand."

Really? Have you been in a movie theater in the last decade?

I kinda see what you're saying now, but to me you don't need obviously different takes on each channel to get a sense of wideness, just normal human error when playing the takes is enough, because the way you describe it would mean that you'd basically have to fuck up each take to get enough variation for it to not sound "Big Mono"......right? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just trying to understand what you class as enough variation in a playing performance to make the tracks sound Stereo).

I think this technique is in the minority......I can think of maybe a handful of albums at the most that have a different guitar tone per side (most of which are 80's Thrash albums), where as I can think of thousands of albums where both sides have the same tone.

Personally a different tone per side is just distracting for me, and it annoys me, especially on headphones.

And maybe your movie theaters are different over there, but we have lush Stereo over here.

Can anyone find a description of "Big Mono" online........that isn't written by Chonchball?

I think this technique is in the minority......I can think of maybe a handful of albums at the most that have a different guitar tone per side (most of which are 80's Thrash albums), where as I can think of thousands of albums where both sides have the same tone.

About that I think you are wrong. There are more albuns recorded in that way that you could imagine. But many of them with different amps were glued in a way that makes really hard to perceive the different settings. III: In the Eyes of Fire by Unearth have different amps on each side and souds fucking great. The kill`em all of Metallica as that too.

As far as I'm aware the amp used on Kill 'Em All was a Jose Arrendondo Modified 100 watt Marshall SLP, with a ProCo Rat in front of it, and was the same on both sides for rhythms, the only thing that changed was Kirk used a different pedal for leads. Do you have proof anywhere that they used another amp?

Also as far as The March, I wasn't aware that they used a different amp each side? I thought it was the same as a usual Sneap mix where each side had each amp blended?

Well if you hear the album, more specifically the song Hit The Lights you will notice that are different settings on each guitar but may not be two amps. Could be just different distances about amp miking or maybe different eq too. I assumed that were to different amps but I am not sure about that now!lol I edited my previous post, was not the march album.

I think that may be a sub-conscious mix thing where the right channel wasn't eq'd the same as the left, but you may be right in that they meant it to be like this. But it still proves my point that it was mainly 80's Thrash albums that did this, any other albums you can think of?

quadTRACKED means quadtracked, not double tracked, double copied. If you want that many rhythm tracks, you need to play it so that the copies don't cancel each other out. If you just copy audio, all you achieve is a +3db boost in your overall mix.
Newbie question, what if I did double tracking and double copying and I delayed the copied tracks some ms? Would that still make the copies cancel the other tracks?

I usually do not pay attention to that when I'm listening to music. The case of Unearth was too evident because there were many riifs with only guitars. Iron Maiden in live concerts had different settings in guitars and worked very well. About studio albuns right now I don´t remember anything but when I remember I´ll post here.

Newbie question, what if I did double tracking and double copying and I delayed the copied tracks some ms? Would that still make the copies cancel the other tracks?

It depends in wich ms you do that. But there are times that they will cancel. If you do that do it between 0-12ms.

I usually do not pay attention to that when I'm listening to music. The case of Unearth was too evident because there were many riifs with only guitars. Iron Maiden in live concerts had different settings in guitars and worked very well. About studio albuns right now I don´t remember anything but when I remember I´ll post here.

Here there are two examples of guitars with different tones on each side:

Amoral - Decrowning (btw, the guitar on the L is a 7-string guitar and the one on the right is a 6-string guitar)

http://www.4shared.com/file/120075001/7342af9a/Amoral_-_01_Showdown.html

Submission - Reject Ignite Burn

http://www.4shared.com/file/120075202/e9cf2a4e/Submission_-_05_Reject_Ignite_Burn.html

I kinda see what you're saying now, but to me you don't need obviously different takes on each channel to get a sense of wideness, just normal human error when playing the takes is enough, because the way you describe it would mean that you'd basically have to fuck up each take to get enough variation for it to not sound "Big Mono"......right? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just trying to understand what you class as enough variation in a playing performance to make the tracks sound Stereo).

Personally a different tone per side is just distracting for me, and it annoys me, especially on headphones.

And maybe your movie theaters are different over there, but we have lush Stereo over here.

Can anyone find a description of "Big Mono" online........that isn't written by Chonchball?

When I said about the theater reference, I was reffering to surround sound which is a completely different animal than mono or stereo. People here keeping saying "either its mono OR its stereo", and that's just untrue. There's 5.1 surround and 7.1 surround and all kinds of different soundscapes. A few decades ago, they tried to introduce quadraphonics to the masses, but the impracticalities of the hi-fi systems inhibited it from really taking off. But think about that for a second. What is making it mono? what would make it stereo, and what could make it quad? You're splitting signals panoramically to achieve the perception of that sound being in two (or 4) places at once essentially. So with that said, the more different it sounds on one side versus the other side, the easier it is for your brain to calculate those differences and make them feel like they are existing in farther spaces from each other... but back to my main point.

I don't mean to make it sound like the takes need to be fucked up in order to achieve the clarity in tone from side to side, but that's technically correct on the level we're talking about, which is the sample level / millisecond level. And what I wanted to really point out is that the GOAL of metal now is to make everything so robotically inhuman, that the human error factor is removed. That's why everyone who comes here for the first time gets such a hard-on when they learn about DIing and ReAmping for the first time. "Oh wow, you mean I can make a real person sound like they're playing a MIDI guitar with a real guitar and program my solos and sweeps just like I can program 32 note blast beats in DFH!?!?! 8====D~~~~~ :puke:"

So, yes, if you embrace and retain the human error element, which I encourage, the guitar takes will sit pretty on L and R and you'll hear them both and they won't phase out, and you'll have yourself a nice big loud guitar sound

BUT

If you have 2 guitar players, and you want those 2 guitar players parts to be more decipherable, it would behoove the mix to vary the tone so that the ear can separate the two sounds more clearly which ALSO gives the added perception of those instruments existing in the stereo spectrum FARTHER apart from each other.

---

I don't DISLIKE the sound of same settings on L & R, especially for metal, and especially when you want to have a balanced sound overall. Hell I do it all the time myself given the right circumstances. I understand tons of records have been done both ways, and one way isn't better than another depending on what you like and what you're going for. I'm just trying to explain what happens with the physical sound and your brain when you have similar sounds like that.

If you want loud guitars, use same-settings.
It will still sound in stereo (especially given the human error factor, or if you want to be a chode and just copy the audio and delay it a few milliseconds, it will still keep from canceling itself out)

If you want 2 readily distinguishable guitar sounds on L & R, use different settings.
You will help the listener decide what they are hearing more clearly, and for bands whose guitarists really like to share the spotlight, you will give them THEIR space in the sonic spectrum a bit more. Agreed this method can be slightly distracting, and it's not always the right choice, but it's still a matter of how the brain decodes the information it is getting.

I'm going to try to look up something I can cite on Big Mono. I by no means conjured up the term myself.

Good discussion? Or are we starting to beat a dead horse?:cry:

Oh and I listened to these today finally. Here's my take on them:

clip 1, sounds like one big guitar overall
clip 2 slight differences, but mostly sounded like one big guitar with a centered lead
clip 3, sounded like the widest stereo rhythm guitars to me
clip 4, sounded like the same amp settings for sure, definitely different players, but also sounded like it might have been different guitars? but that could have just been the different players techniques overshadowing. this one was harder to judge since it wasn't in a mix and the ONLY thing was the 2 guitars to judge, but the variances in playing (which was natural sounding, but still a little push-pull from side to side) helped separate them as well.

i stand corrected on some of my judgments regarding the players involved on the track :) were you intentionally playing loose on each take to help prove the point of how the same settings can do that? that 4th clip is the one where the guitars come unglued from each other, but like i said, it had more to do with the difference in playing, and I just assumed more was happening there than panning. I wouldn't want those takes in a final mix really cuz you can hear how much they do not align... and making sure things align is more the point than having them separated, correct?

I really dont mind those old slayer albums that have different amp tones panned left and right .Those were the days before quad tracked productions and I think it added character to the mix . Quad tracking is the best of both worlds in fact I wouldn't use quad tracking unless there WERE two separate amp tones on EACH side.
But this whole notion about the same amp tone over different amp tone panned L /R canceling out some of the stereo field (even if it is only a conceptual thing) is hard to prove . If anything I think it potentially gives rise to additional considerations with master bus compression amongst a whole host of mastering dilemmas where the frequencies in the stereo field are unequal , compression can sometimes have undesired effect on frequencies the chances of both tones hitting their own sweet spot at the same time with any master bus tweaking would be buy pure chance IMO.