guitarists opinions needed about fretboards

soulshred

Dec 7, 2003
Boston, MA
hi, does anyone know what kind of fretboard does michael Romeo uses(maple or rosewood) ı have seen him playing both but dont know which one is his main.The roesen ı am asking is ı am thinking of buying a new guitar and ı do alot of tapping stuff.I just wanna know does it make easier to do taps to use a particular fretboard.some people says maple makes easier to do tapping because it sounds brighter and chunkier therefore gives a better tapping response while rosewood makes easier to play legatos because it feels softer and soomether.
soory for too many questions but they are all related .ı know its best to play whatever you are comfortable with but ı can really use different opinions because cant realy decide which to choose. thanks.

my advice: fretboard has 0.0001% effect on tapping skills so buy whatever looks better i guess, tone changes of course but you can compensate with gear

and dont copy Mjr find your own style

Its all about action and frets...not fretboard material. the lower the action and the bigger (jumbo+) and more perfect the fret job is (no buzzz, and no wear), usually makes it better for tapping, and legato, and sweeping etc...Some would say a scalloped fretboard makes it even better..but its all a matter of feal and taste..sometimes it takes years for people to find the perfect guitar...

Yeah, fretboard material is all about tone, it has no effect on playing ability. RobbM basically said it all. Low action and big frets (I reccomend Dunlop 6100 size) and a GOOD fretjob (meaning a perfectly crowned fret, not those "flat" tops that a lot of guitars have right out of the factory) will make playing easier.

these guys know what they're talking about

fyi - the greats could make the biggest peace of shit sound great - when it comes down to something like that, sure it's nice to have something that's easier to do it on (if that's what you believe/feel) but wouldn't you like to practice on something that makes it a challenge, that way when you whip out an awesome guitar you are the man and no one can fuggin stop you :lol:

errrr - back on track - the fretboard doesn't matter, get what you like man :D

ebony is nice, but ya don't run into it to often - it's very smooth.

Yngvai X said:
Yeah, fretboard material is all about tone, it has no effect on playing ability. RobbM basically said it all. Low action and big frets (I reccomend Dunlop 6100 size) and a GOOD fretjob (meaning a perfectly crowned fret, not those "flat" tops that a lot of guitars have right out of the factory) will make playing easier.

Hi YngVai.. Dont see you around at the JP forums much nowadays..

I disagree a bit. Maple can be polished easily to give a very smooth feel which rosewood fretboards cannot. I own a maple fretboard strat and a rosewooded Ibanez, find that the maple can be a whole lot smoother.

Whatsay?