Gun Control

I'll bite ...

I'm gonna say false

just based off what little details you did provide, I couldn't find anything but I also haven't done any serious digging. Is there some extra piece of info you think could be vital to finding something about the story .. either one you haven't mentioned or haven't made up yet? ;)

we've moved on from that... no takers on the little challenge to prove or debunk the story i presented?

I haven't moved on from that
and i could care less whether it's true or otherwise, it's a kickass story that made my morning \o/

this makes me speechless ...
ever thought about the psycho-pathological consequences the child has to suffer? ever thought about, that the "illegal alien" (which is still a human being!) could have shot first?

ever thought about the psycho-pathological consequences the child has to suffer? ever thought about, that the "illegal alien" (which is still a human being!) could have shot first?

Hey Bud Spencer

if the story was true the kid was obviously not only trained in the actual use of a gun but also in what it actually means to pull the trigger. You're thinking from a slightly different cultural perspective ... put yourself into the minds and background of people from butte ;)

what about all the psycho-pathological consequences of seeing the movie "Watch out, we're mad"? :D hahaha

:lol: Haha, dude what? What about the psycho-pathological consequenses of being raped/kidnapped/abused/and fucking murdered like the old-man they killed to get that gun? :lol:

IMO, searching through press archives (like apparently happened for proving the first case wrong) is a way better method than searching only the net. just sayin'...
-------
i also think it's impossible to prepare an eleven year old girl for the trauma that follows the experience of shooting somebody.
not even sure if that could stay without serious consequences at all.

well the one about the 11 year old boy and the .22 rifle is true... close enough.

and yeah, i'd far rather have an 11 year-old daughter that had killed, than one that had been killed.

Carlos.. here's the other story again, with additional details filled in:

"in the early-mid '90s a man named Randy L. Grimes shot and killed a man he found staying with his estranged wife and young daughter in a travel-trailer at a hunting camp in Walterboro, South Carolina. Mr. Grimes promptly disappeared and hasn't been heard from since. The story even appeared on the TV show America's Most Wanted... twice."

there you go.... Truth or Fiction?

I'm coming up empty ...

searched AMW database, nothing ...

searched google with every combination of words using the name, show, location and incident you describe, nothing ...

so if it IS a true story, then yeah, unless there's another sure fire piece of info to dredge up the story somewhere, shows that you may not find info on something thereby leading someone to assume its false

and yeah, i'd far rather have an 11 year-old daughter that had killed, than one that had been killed.

no doubt, of course.
i was just referring to a post that sounded like preparing for the possible consequences of shooting would be as easy as explaining proper use of guns.

Slightly on topic, heavy gun control works. Just not in a country where guns are common. Gun control works well in countries where there hasn't ever been a real gun culture before or a proliferation of firearms, In England it's worked pretty well, sure it doesn't stop all gun crime but no law can wipeout certain behaviours totally.

Some laws work some places at some times. But not others,

If guns were legalised in this country the murder rate would jump dramatically.

Edit: I should say that in a country that has a real gun culture or a proliferation of firearms, guns laws can have a negative effect. Again, Some laws work some places at some times. But not others.

Also, sure gun crimes jumped 100% in the year after the 1997 ban. But "gun crimes" or "firearms offences" cover having a realistic replica gun in public, or carrying an air rifle with ammo loaded in public, shooting an air rifle so that the pellet ends up in public or in others land, not having an ok gun safe on an outside solid wall, selling an air rifle to someone under 18 ect. The rate of gun crime in this country has very little to do with the rate gun crime of America. If you designate more things as an offence you will see more offences commited in the year following.

I'm coming up empty ...

searched AMW database, nothing ...

searched google with every combination of words using the name, show, location and incident you describe, nothing ...

so if it IS a true story, then yeah, unless there's another sure fire piece of info to dredge up the story somewhere, shows that you may not find info on something thereby leading someone to assume its false

well you're the only one that "played along" 'los... but yeah, it's a true story, all of the information given was 100% true and correct. Randy Grimes is my step-father's brother... happened just a few years after he married my mom. i still remember my step-dad having to go with the feds in a helicopter over a swamp area while searching for Randy.

but it's nowhere on the interwebz to be found..... not even the AMW database.

fekkin' weird.

so yeah, the internet is definitely not the final, authoritative source for whether or not a story is true.

i do not, however, believe the original post is a true story.... the corollary one mentioned with the boy and the .22 though, i believe is a true story, and perhaps the basis for the fake one.

^ pretty interesting and definitely makes a person think ... or at least, it SHOULD make them think before they just punch in a keyword in a search engine or jump on wiki and claim to know the truth of everything

so yeah, the internet is definitely not the final, authoritative source for whether or not a story is true.

Hmm. Bit of a weird thing to say though. That's like saying the universe is not the final authoritative source for whether something is true or not.

The internet doesn't have a collective agenda or collective viewpoint - no matter how much 4chan want you to think so ;)

Snopes is a fairly respected skeptic source. They try to go to the root of a claim, rather than rely on 3rd party commentary (like people in this thread did!) and if they're not as certain as they can be about the veracity of a claim.. they mark it as an unknown. It's the scientific method applied to discourse and media, and that approach is certainly the best we've got for verifying a claim.

And presumably you read the original report on the internet... and at first assumed it to be true? So forgive me for being confused. It seemed like you thought the internet WAS an authoritative source when you first posted it.

Personally, I think you're being blinded by your politics. But now I assume I'll be told eat your corn hole for even daring to suggest that you may be wrong. :D

:popcorn:

well you're the only one that "played along" 'los... but yeah, it's a true story, all of the information given was 100% true and correct. Randy Grimes is my step-father's brother... happened just a few years after he married my mom. i still remember my step-dad having to go with the feds in a helicopter over a swamp area while searching for Randy.

but it's nowhere on the interwebz to be found..... not even the AMW database.

fekkin' weird.

i do not, however, believe the original post is a true story.... the corollary one mentioned with the boy and the .22 though, i believe is a true story, and perhaps the basis for the fake one.

Did he like to be called "Grimey" by his friends?

Sorry, that's probably inappropriate material to make a Simpsons reference on.

Hmm. Bit of a weird thing to say though. That's like saying the universe is not the final authoritative source for whether something is true or not.

The internet doesn't have a collective agenda or collective viewpoint - no matter how much 4chan want you to think so ;)

Snopes is a fairly respected skeptic source. They try to go to the root of a claim, rather than rely on 3rd party commentary (like people in this thread did!) and if they're not as certain as they can be about the veracity of a claim.. they mark it as an unknown.

And presumably you read the original report on the internet... and at first assumed it to be true? So forgive me for being confused. It seemed like you thought the internet WAS an authoritative source when you first posted it.

It's the scientific method applied to discourse and media, and that approach is certainly the best we've got for verifying a claim.

Personally, I think you're being blinded by your politics. But now I assume I'll be told eat your corn hole for even daring to suggest that you may be wrong. :D

:popcorn:

no, you'll just be told to re-read my posts.. without being "blinded" by your politics, or allowing your presumptions about mine to cloud your perception.

i stated... very clearly... that i was the first one, right after posting my thread, to notice the snopes debunk. i also stated that i believe the snopes debunk... IOW, i believe the story to be fake, if i haven't been clear enough yet.

so.... your point is what exactly? .... that you wanna eat my corn-hole? you'll have to break into my home to even try, and though i may not be an 11yr old clay-shooting champion, i don't fancy your chances.

:devil: