Gun laws in the great state of NY

Wait, so you are saying that taking out some nazi assholes (even just one) before dying would have been a bad thing?

Getting marched outside to be shot by firing squad, experimented on or gased was a better way to go?

right, because they all knew they were going to get shot, experimented on or gased if they didn't turn rambo on a group of nazis invading their home.

it's not so black and white. there likely were several jews with firearms, some who fought back, and maybe 'took out some nazi assholes'(i read that in brad pitt's inglourious basterds voice) but saying the holocaust would have never happened if every jew owned a gun is pretty hilarious. most of them had the hope of surviving if they just came along quietly.

Wait, so you are saying that taking out some nazi assholes (even just one) before dying would have been a bad thing?

Getting marched outside to be shot by firing squad, experimented on or gased was a better way to go?

I'm not being sarcastic at all, I'm seriously wondering why you think this.
Wtf? Please show me where I even hinted that. I can't see how someone could get my post wrong if not on purpose.

What I'm saying is: The people getting deported into concentration camps and ghettos wouldn't have a chance against trained killing squads, and also that his unbelievably stupid statement that the holocaust wouldn't have happened if people had handguns is retarded and plain wrong.

Also, +1 to what sopulurn said.

You can't be serious. I tried to stay out of this thread because there's crap smeared all over it, but this statement is just ridiculous. Right, if there's a fully armed SS/Wehrmacht squad storming your house then you, the glorious hero, would victoriously defend your family and house. You obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

a single person in a house obviously is way overmatched for a squadron of armed men

however, in those cities where nazis were busting in on large apartment buildings that housed 100's of people, don't tell me that they wouldn't have taken it a little easier if they knew that there might be a 12-gauge slug waiting for them around every corner and behind every door. i'm also in no way saying that private gun ownership is 100% deterrent against government encampment/detention/tyranny - but it's one of the few tools that the citizenry has at its disposal, and is the exact reason why the founding fathers of this country put the 2nd amendment into the constitution. don't forget that the men who wrote the constitution had firsthand experience with a government that took away their right to bear arms, then used deadly force against them which they had no defense against.

watch the pianist, or schindler's list...or read up on any of a number of historical accounts of how the nazis rounded up polish jews into ghettos

i'll 100% guarantee that if every jewish household had a firearm, the holocaust never happens

i know it seems pretty far-fetched, but more than anything, private gun ownership is the one and only thing that keeps the government honest and the citizenry out of prison camps

Although I believe in gun control, I'm gonna +1 this.

Please explain.

No explanation needed, they stated how they felt about it pretty clearly:

"A free people ought to be armed."
- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Henry Lee

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
- Joseph Story

While it was a different time, you get the idea. :lol:

also, fwiw, since some people seem intent on portraying all those who support gun rights as some sort hellbent redneck, let me say that i do not and have not ever owned a gun, and have only fired one once - which was a bolt-action .22 at a boy scout camp when i was like 12.

however, i still feel it's important to protect the rights of those who wish to own guns and use them in a safe and sensible manner.

No explanation needed, they stated how they felt about it pretty clearly:

"A free people ought to be armed."
- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Henry Lee

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
- Joseph Story

While it was a different time, you get the idea. :lol:

This is it right here. When Europeans throw the fact out that the US has among the highest gun crime rates in the world need to realize this...it's all propaganda. Our politicians know that if we get disgruntled enough at what they do, we will use force against them, so they try to take guns away so we can't use them to defend out rights when government does step out of line. How do they do that? They give guns to gangs, news outlets make a big deal about this, as violent gun crime goes up, the mass populace of the US and EU think that the gun crime is so high because its legal here, so Americans will be asking for government for a tighter grip on gun control. With that we loose our ability to arm and defend ourselves against tyranny. That's what our government wants, to instill so much fear in guns that we will ask to get rid of guns and when they do, we hand over the ability to keep our government in check.

This is why our founding fathers were pro-guns. To those who say that those where different times need to think again. The reason governments are wanting to get rid of guns is because they are scared, they know we are getting pissed and are on the verge to taking action, if we aren't armed, we have no way at placing our foots in asses that deserve it.

also, fwiw, since some people seem intent on portraying all those who support gun rights as some sort hellbent redneck, let me say that i do not and have not ever owned a gun, and have only fired one once - which was a bolt-action .22 at a boy scout camp when i was like 12.

however, i still feel it's important to protect the rights of those who wish to own guns and use them in a safe and sensible manner.

I've only just become interested in them in the last 3 years myself. I never used anything over a bb gun until last year. I didn't grow up with them.

I will tell you that figuring shit out when you didn't grow up with guns is fucking shitty. But there are some good resources to educate yourself (hunter safety is mostly gun safety/ education and that's a good thing) about them and once I got into it I realised pretty fast how safe firearms are. People who are responsible with guns are also more than willing to help you be safe through education. I feel just as safe shooting guns as I do watching TV.

My kid will grow up with firearms in the house, and they will of course be locked up (both the ammo and firearms and separatly of course). I don't want her to be afraid of guns though, I do want her to respect them, know they are not toys and to teach her what to do if she ever finds one laying out in another idiots house. I will not force her to use them if she doesn't want to.

Also shooting clays is also incredibly relaxing fun... until you get to round 200 :lol:

Also: I don't keep a loaded gun at the ready for defense in my house. I know many do and I respect that, the situation I descrbed earlier in this thread was hypothetical. I don't wish to live like I have to be at the ready to shoot someone.

What I was asking for an explanation of is the statement that "the men who wrote the Constitution" had no right to bear arms and were oppressed by their government.

What I was asking for an explanation of is the statement that "the men who wrote the Constitution" had no right to bear arms and were oppressed by their government.

in 1775 the king of england made some sort of decree that the american colonies could no longer have weapons, and the red army came along and destroyed an armory in vermont or connecticut or somewhere, which lead to one of the first battles of the revolutionary war, even prior to the issuing of the declaration of independence. basically, the king saw that the colonies were getting uppity, and attempted to strip them of arms so that they would be unable to rise up against the crown.

also, while on the topic, feudal japan is a great example of what happens when only a select few in a society are allowed to have weapons. sure, the rest of the populace came up with martial arts to defend themselves, but that doesn't tend to be much of a match for body armor and samurai swords...

watch the pianist, or schindler's list...or read up on any of a number of historical accounts of how the nazis rounded up polish jews into ghettos. i'll 100% guarantee that if every jewish household had a firearm, the holocaust never happens
yeah but as many jews would have been killed it gun fights. seriously europeens and americans will never agree about gun politics. so stop arguing. let's just say guns are bad, we're right but we'll accept amaricans shooting themselves :headbang:

77d3d70b.jpg

motivator5f3a03571f48d38718ffaf34f11fc2ca820bdb8e.jpg

motivator8e8a4d42bcd84ef34f181a3b3b7777a14d911c7e.jpg

motivator2e51686fccd5620f842c68ebb67f985285a7e50a.jpg

motivator7a6aa70af1794e667482990ab7863211f3ac4d6a.jpg

motivator693d0b005e22f3582176e2a6ebebe74752c30c38.jpg