ha ha. now THIS is funny...

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
DSC00313.jpg

...And you people tell me that In Flames HASN'T sold out??

ha ha... look at that wallet-chain... look at the 'grunge' shirt and tie, and the shorts hanging way down at his crotch...
What is the world coming to?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I went to see In Flames a couple of months ago... ugh... they were bloody good, and sure, I had a jolly good time, but 70% of the people were crowd surfing skateboarding "Rap-Metal" or Punk Rock fans, who only likes In Flames when it comes to metal. In Flames were great, but the mainstreamers dressed up to look "heavy" should just sod off. If they don't usually do the devil sign and headbang their brains out, they'll have a snowball's chance in hell of looking like they fit in, doing it at an In Flames concert. :(

But what the fuck that pic (peoples dressing) have anything to do with sold out!?!?!?!?!?! Cant people wear what ever they like!?!?! That has nothing to do with the music, GODDAMNIT! What is with you people always just waiting like Vultures, when you see something that you possibly can connect to sold out thingie! Cant you just listen music, and if you don't like it, then don't. Those sold out stuff is so annoying and just made for offence, that there is no point in that.

I couldn't agree more Hearse....

Its about the Music they produce,not the goddamn clothes they wear...

Its about the Music they produce,not the goddamn clothes they wear...

That's my point. I obviously wouldn't have posted that picture if i enjoyed the direction that in flames has taken in their once-great music.

Colony and Clayman are terrible albums, they are 'formula' rock, just like Soilwork's 'A predators portrait'.

What's next, huh? Overalls with an 'IF' logo on the back, and a barcode?

:lol:

Whoracle and Jester-Race are awesome albums, Whoracle is a classic.... But the only thing i appreciate off 'Clayman' is the intro to Square Nothing, and the rest of the album is a throw-away.

But does that make the music "sold-out" if you don't like the way how band has changed their style?

Yes. In the case of flames, yes.

They are going for a more 'acceptable' form of music, and image.

THAT is selling out.

I couldn't care less if a band 'changes' their sound, and they get better, take Death for example, their 'progression' was awesome, and they got better and better... It's just the like Metallica progression between Kill 'em All and ...Justice, the change was MORE-THAN welcome, justice was a great album, but then they tried to be accepted comercially.

...And no, i don't hate a band for being accepted 'comercially', I only hate the band if they do so by COMPROMISING their abilities and their writing, such as the case with In-Flames, Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer.

I personally think Whoracle was written with much the same attitude that colony and clayman was written, they changed in styles but they way they went about it seems pretty much the same, they were never hugely original, they've always been about catchy riffs, and every second riff sounds like its been stolen from something else. I love colony, and ive heard a good song or two off clayman, although i dont like them as much.

Hearse is right on this one.

There is much to be had and experienced in life, and the same goes for music, if you have found what you like then stick to it, and analyse all you like about why YOU dont like some particular music. But if you start stating things like 'sellout' or call them shit then your treading dangerously, its very hard to analyse something you dont connect with (Think of the bad Opeth reviews, how they point out irrelavent 'bad' stuff about the music). Just remember that people's lives change, one day they want to express their emotions, the other day they want to have some fun, and then they want to connect with people, then they want power, whatever. Its all valid, if you dont like it then fine, but dont go thinking a band is bad just because they dont use music for the purposes you want them to (or the purposes they used to... ).

You're simply judging music based on what you've found are qualities of bands you like. Realise that there are other valid purposes of music, and other valid forms of achieving those purposes.

I saw In Flames live in Gothenburg last summer. Anders Fridén was dressed the same way. But that´s not the worst part. The worst was his nu metal jumping on the stage. Total Fred Durst rip-off.
I think their next album will be 100% nu metal. :headbang: :hotjump: :devil:

Originally posted by Hearse
I agree fully with Yo_Ya_Cock. :D
Well, i get thousands of variations on YaYoGakk, ranging from simply 'YaYo', 'Gakk Yo', 'Yakk' (after i was sick on NYE! :lol:).. and "yayayayayayyoyoyyoyakkkkkk!!!!" (thats an actual quote). But Yo_Ya_Cock is a new one!! :lol: :D

I know these jokesters in a band. When it comes time to play, getting dressed is funny. They mock styles they think are silly. They don't do it all the time. The suit and tie look made me think of them. They did the same once. It was hilarious. After the set, one came over sweating his ass off and said "I'll never do that again!" and proceeded to shed parts of the suit.

Back to the topic: YoYa: Just remember that people's lives change, one day they want to express their emotions, the other day they want to have some fun, and then they want to connect with people, then they want power, whatever. Its all valid, if you don’t like it then fine, but don’t go thinking a band is bad just because they don’t use music for the purposes you want them to (or the purposes they used to... ).

Good point! They're in the driver's seat. If they want to change their music, then why the hell not? They started doing it in the first place. You wouldn't have those first few albums to love if they didn't. Be thankful they made something you even liked. Not all bands play for themselves. I admire the artists that do. It's a risk in a way.

"Vows in ashes.
I pledge myself to no-one."

Originally posted by Trapped

Yes. In the case of flames, yes.

They are going for a more 'acceptable' form of music, and image.

THAT is selling out.

I couldn't care less if a band 'changes' their sound, and they get better, take Death for example, their 'progression' was awesome, and they got better and better... It's just the like Metallica progression between Kill 'em All and ...Justice, the change was MORE-THAN welcome, justice was a great album, but then they tried to be accepted comercially.

...And no, i don't hate a band for being accepted 'comercially', I only hate the band if they do so by COMPROMISING their abilities and their writing, such as the case with In-Flames, Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer.

first of all: screw you, in flames have always rocked and still do

second of all: in flames image were pretty acceptable back in their older stuff...it's not like they used to wear extreme makeup and nwo look normal...so what if they don't wear black shirts and black pants

their music hasn't changed that much from their last few albums...yes its not the same but that is usually a good thing...you're just saying that their music has been compromised because yo need to justify yourself

just because you think their newer stuff suck doesn't mean everyone else does...they might think that their music has progressed and they're getting better

last of all: OPEN YOU MIND
even if they were deliberately changing their style and image to get more popular, there's nothing wrong with that...playing in a band is their job and thei source of income...they don't owe you a damn thing don't have to stay the same for ppl like you..if they want to sacrifce their old fans for more new fans then there's not a damn thing wrong about it

remember: they're the ones who are entertaining you

Originally posted by Trapped

That's my point. I obviously wouldn't have posted that picture if i enjoyed the direction that in flames has taken in their once-great music.

Colony and Clayman are terrible albums, they are 'formula' rock, just like Soilwork's 'A predators portrait'.

What's next, huh? Overalls with an 'IF' logo on the back, and a barcode?

:lol:

Whoracle and Jester-Race are awesome albums, Whoracle is a classic.... But the only thing i appreciate off 'Clayman' is the intro to Square Nothing, and the rest of the album is a throw-away.

:mad: soilwork rock too!:lol:

Am I the only person who enjoyed Clayman? I liked the album, though I agree it wasn't anywhere near as good as their previous albums.

I'm just sick of this whole elitist "If you don't play a certain way, you're a sell out" thing. The metal scene has just as many "norms" of acceptablility and image as the mainstream. The fact that everyone is so willing to condemn In Flames for playing their way instead of pandering to the underground is just more proof of that. If they want to go their own way, I have no problem with it, they are following their desire. I may not like it, but I'm not going to hold some simple-minded grudge against them because that blasphemed and betrayed the "sacred metal scene" or some shit like that.

I guess In Flames decision to alter their style to their own tastes could make them a rebel among rebels. ;)

BTW, their style hasn't even changed tha much. Clayman is far from "nu-metal". Indeed it's similar to their past albums. Simpler, but similar.

i liked clayman. i agree, it certainly wasn't their best, but it is a pretty decent album.
i cannot really see how people can call clayman 'nu-metal.' can someone explain to me exactly how clayman's sound has anything to do with limp bizket and company?

I used to be a total 'sellout officer' - you know, like everyone smart here is saying. I used to dis Metallica, Megadeth, In Flames, literally everybody for their alleged 'sellout' charges.

Then I realize there basically is no point - nothing is changed, nothing is accomplished. You cannot stop a band from doing what they want to do. PERIOD.

When Devin Townsend put out Ocean Machine, which was the furthest thing from SYL's brutal cyber-metal attack, he credited himself as 'Sellout' in the album. He did that to show how futile and pointless any accusations of him selling out are.

I totally agree with Belial.
Isn't it stupid how 'conservative' the majority of metalheads really are, even though they're classified as 'young liberals?'

Originally posted by Hearse
I dont like much inflames music but their gigs ROCK!

But what the fuck that pic (peoples dressing) have anything to do with sold out!?!?!?!?!?! Cant people wear what ever they like!?!?! That has nothing to do with the music, GODDAMNIT! What is with you people always just waiting like Vultures, when you see something that you possibly can connect to sold out thingie! Cant you just listen music, and if you don't like it, then don't. Those sold out stuff is so annoying and just made for offence, that there is no point in that.

I agree with everything you said..........

Nearly every song on Clayman has some nu-metal concessions on it, and on some songs (Pinball, Future Repeats, Satellites, Quicksand, etc.) these influences work to the song's detriment. Call me a fan of Colony and before...now this is a more successful departure from the Gotheburg sound:

With that Trapped attitude people can say from any band that they have sold out. "I don't like new Testament's stuff.... so they must been sold out.... same goes for Metallica... Pantera.. Annihilator... In Flames....etc "

...Well that was a pretty fuckin' DIM thing to say, now wasn't it, i distinctly remember posting:

'Nuff said eh?

In reply to your mention of 'Testament', i like their new stuff better, it is much heavier, and the music is just as good as their early stuff. The thing is, is that they didn't change simply to gain mainstream acceptance, they didn't COMPROMISE their writing style within this change.