Hacker gains access to Mac OS X in 30 mins

silverwulf said:
Oh, I'm sure it was patched and all. You were just speaking in absolutes earlier in regards to worms, so I just wanted to point that one out.

I know, it's a future tense thing. I'm embracing the dark side, throwing my credibility on the line, and using absolutes. METAL! :kickass:

Kazrog said:
I know, it's a future tense thing. I'm embracing the dark side, throwing my credibility on the line, and using absolutes. METAL! :kickass:

:kickass: I've used both PC and Macs. I really don't have a preference. It's like cars to me...as long as they get me from Point A to B and back, it's all the same to me.

Well drawing the big comparisons from Mac to PC wasn't really my intention. I would love it if the XP users could get the same peace of mind that OS X users have. I really have no wish to change. I like my games (occasionally) and feel comfortable using Windows since I've been doing it for several years now. It just really sucks when the shit hits the fan due to one of the plethora of trojans out there. I feel like I know how to keep myself shielded relatively well, but in the last few days I got hit by a virus that corrupted my partition table and as such made my main storage drive inoperable. I lost almost an entire week trying to salvage the data, and now I have to hang out for an external drive so I can back it all up before formatting and putting all the data back.

Kazrog said:
This is still a Trojan - it doesn't have the ability to spread itself. It requires the user to spread it by manually running it.

According to that Macnews Article it's a worm though... And there's even a little blurb on why it's not a trojan... :D

SPLASTiK said:
According to that Macnews Article it's a worm though... And there's even a little blurb on why it's not a trojan... :D

The worm mentioned in the Macnews article is not the same program as the Trojan I was referring to earlier. I never tried to say that the iChat worm is a Trojan, just a really low-grade worm.

Moonlapse said:
Well drawing the big comparisons from Mac to PC wasn't really my intention. I would love it if the XP users could get the same peace of mind that OS X users have. I really have no wish to change. I like my games (occasionally) and feel comfortable using Windows since I've been doing it for several years now. It just really sucks when the shit hits the fan due to one of the plethora of trojans out there. I feel like I know how to keep myself shielded relatively well, but in the last few days I got hit by a virus that corrupted my partition table and as such made my main storage drive inoperable. I lost almost an entire week trying to salvage the data, and now I have to hang out for an external drive so I can back it all up before formatting and putting all the data back.

Been there twice in a year with my PC at work. Thankfully, I don't keep any important files on it. When it does work, it's still got a clunker interface that slows me down on a regular basis (Windows XP Pro, SP2, with Norton Antivirus, Microsoft Windows Defender, on a heavily firewalled corporate network in an office with 300+ employees.) I will hand it to Microsoft though, they've made XP almost as stable as Mac OS X, if it weren't for all the viruses, worms, and malware.

I'll be installing Vista beta next week on another drive. Going to start doing some software testing in it. I'll give you guys my initial impressions (if anyone cares.)

Kazrog said:
The worm mentioned in the Macnews article is not the same program as the Trojan I was referring to earlier. I never tried to say that the iChat worm is a Trojan, just a really low-grade worm.

It's the same one as in my link though... Same filename, same codename (oompa loompa)...

Kazrog said:
I'll be installing Vista beta next week on another drive. Going to start doing some software testing in it. I'll give you guys my initial impressions (if anyone cares.)

That would kick ass. I'm really curious to see how it turns out... but from the screenshots I've seen, it just looks like Windows is getting more and more Mac-like (At least the GUI) as they go along.

SPLASTiK said:
It's the same one as in my link though... Same filename, same codename (oompa loompa)...

Yeah... dude honeslty I have no idea what I am thinking. It's been a long and stressful day for me. I think I made some good points but I take this one back. I'm too lazy to correct it in the thread. :zombie:

Ooompa loompa is not a Trojan. Moving right along....

Moonlapse said:
I would love it if the XP users could get the same peace of mind that OS X users have. I really have no wish to change. I like my games (occasionally) and feel comfortable using Windows since I've been doing it for several years now. It just really sucks when the shit hits the fan due to one of the plethora of trojans out there. I feel like I know how to keep myself shielded relatively well, but in the last few days I got hit by a virus that corrupted my partition table and as such made my main storage drive inoperable. I lost almost an entire week trying to salvage the data, and now I have to hang out for an external drive so I can back it all up before formatting and putting all the data back.

Tough luck, man... I don't understand where you managed to pick this thing up? o_O Or am I a total exception?!
I never, I repeat - NEVER - caught a virus during the last 5 years I had a computer with an internet access and mind you, for the last 2 years I've been on a cable connection and computer is working 24/7, literary...
That said, I don't at all surf the XXX sites. :D

I'm on Windows 2000 SP4, surfing in Opera, mailing in Mozilla Thunderbird, using Avast! antivirus and Kerio Personal Firewall.
Never had a single instability issue caused by the system itself...

@Kazrog: that Norton AV is an overpriced piece of junk! It used to be a really top notch AV, but now it's just a resource hog and doesn't do shit to protect the user. You'd be much better off with Kaspersky (the best there is IMO) or NOD32. Of free AV's I'd recommend Avast!...