Half-Life 2 - goddamn

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Ok, I know I'm super late to the party on this, but I've been a strictly console gamer since like '01, so my first option to play this masterpiece was with the release of "The Orange Box," which I borrowed from my friend a few weeks ago for X360. All I can say is, I totally see where all the hype comes from, what fantastic setting, writing, pacing, etc., really top-class stuff! I won't deny, the first Half Life bored me senseless; yes the progression and scripted events were all well and good, but for so much of the game there was like zero story progression, zero character interaction, practically zero MUSIC (never a good thing with me), it just felt like such a dead and uninvolving experience, and I never even beat it (I tried playing a handful of times, and the farthest I got was beating Gonarch)

But while HL2 has a bit of the tedium of the first (mainly just that driving sequence along the coast on the way to Nova Prospet), I'm finding on my current second playthrough that it's nowhere near as bad when you've done it already, and now that I'm hooked by the story I suppose I'll play the first, though only on my PS3 (they made it for PS2) cuz I just can't stand sitting in my desk chair and using a mouse and keyboard (rather than flopped down on a couch with a small, ergonomic controller) - but no debating on that please, there's been plenty already ;)

Anyway, yeah, this game rules, and I can't wait to play episodes 1 and 2! Does Ep. 2 wrap up the story, or is there still some chance for continuation? On the topic of the story, I think my favorite parts are how well-defined the characters are (I salute them for breaking the norm by making Alyx black, or at least partially, but she's like the least-black black person I've ever seen, except maybe for Sheva in RE5 :lol: ) and how sharp the writing is; Dr. Breen's speeches especially are really well-written, and I love a work of fiction that I feel is at (or above) my intelligence level. Great stuff!

I dunno. there's something inherently half-life-y about those ever so slightly boring sections of driving
you know deep down it wouldnt be the same without it

half life in general makes me cum buckets though
i cannot speak a negative word about that series

and yeah, the writing is phenomenal
alyx is one of the most well written and developed video game characters ever IMO.

ep 1, ep2 and the approaching (god knows when though) ep 3 are the equivalent of Half-Life 3 aparrently. It seems as though Valve have plans to continue on from there. So I suppose that as good spoils the ending of ep2 for you, but hey. More Half-Life can only be a good thing.
Ep2 is probably 6 of the finest hours of gaming ever btw Marcus, you're in for a treat.

The HL story is awesome. I prefer the first one because there was a lot of tension. The intro when you are a scientist that goes at work, the explosions, etc....awesome!
But also the second episode is fantastic.
A speaking Gordon (with selectable dialogues) would be perfect.

HL2 was great, i wont play those "extra" episodes until they get cheaper though.. im not paying a total of 30 euros for an expansion, especially not when its as short as it is(From what ive heard at least.).

A speaking Gordon (with selectable dialogues) would be perfect.

No, you are wrong, that would suck :loco:

Anyway, Half-Life rules. the only other game that comes close to it IMO is Grim Fandango.

@Notuern: you can get the Orange Box for about 15 euro in shops now. bargain of the century.

@ Metaltastic: you will love ep1 and ep2. they are fantastic. when your done, be sure to replay them with the Developer Commentary turned on. its quite interesting.

Yeah, I'm not much of a gamer but HL2 was a really neat experience. I felt like I was playing through a really well-written movie. Even the driving part was cool IMO :) ....

+1

You should check out the expansions. Episode 1, short, pffffft. Episode 2 was excellent. Awesome franchise overall. Only played HL2 onwards not any earlier, so I cannot comment on the earlier stuff. Orange Box is well worth it. Nothing wrong with a little Team Fortress online either (although haven't played it for 12 months maybe). Steam does make things complicated for the legitimate buyer though, damn it. For some reason my HL2 expansion episodes installed from the Steam download and not from my bought Disc. :erk: So I payed for the hard copy and it cost me half a months download on my ISP. Should have just bought the Steam copy. :mad:

hmmmmmmmmm. Both had good and bad points, I guess. 1 was short, but 2 had that 3-way tunnel tripod gun setup, mundane, boring, frustrating part.

You can't beat gravity-gunning bodys at enemies though :lol:

I'd like to play someone good at hl2 DM (PC) on this forum hehe :) P.S Console gaming is for pussies :D

By the time I did the Steam and game update, you had gone. Not that I am any good at it, but I would have had a run around.

jhawke, I don't remember if I shat or not. I don't remember the names of the different parts/places.

I've never played HL2 but HL1 is probably my favourite FPS game (both single and multiplayer). I nearly fell out of my chair once, while playing with the lights out and some creature teleported itself right in front of me :zombie:

Yep, good shit although I wished they'd push the writing even further.

On a side note I'm not a hardcore gamer but I just bought GTA IV and Far Cry 2... Yes, I'm bored lately.

I actually kind of liked the lack of music in HL1, it kind of added to the eeriness in some strange way.