Half way through the year - what are you digging most?

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I ask because I'm sure there are some things I've missed....but also because we are half way through the year, and I'm curious to see what 2010 releases are mentally parked on everyone's top 10 lists.

No order yet for me, but:

Overkill - Ironbound (This will most likely be my number 1. A celebration of every major metal archetype)
Tryptikon - Eparistera Deimones
Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
Immortal - All Shall Fall (Came out last year, but I missed it, and I love it)

Waiting for: Accept, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Black Country Communion, ???

Non-metal stuff I'm liking this year:
old David Bowie
old Yes
Free

So far, so good. There have been some GREAT releases, so far.

My favs, to date:

Tryptikon
Anathema
Ihsahn
Borknagar
Avantasia
Exodus
Nevermore
Heathen
Dark Tranquillity

I do not yet own the new Danzig but what i've heard has been stellar.

I'm sure there are others I'm neglecting.

Haken - Aquarius (one of the best debut progalbums ever?)
Third Eye - Recipe for Disaster
Demonica - Demonstrous (thraaaaash!)
Rosswell Six - Line in the Sand (awesome!)
Section A - Sacrifice
Fracture - Dominate and Overload (Scandinavian metal!)
Echoes - Nature/Existence
Wolfspring - Wolfspring (great progrock-metal)
Grönholm - Eyewitness of Live
Myrath - Desert Call
Ainur - Lay of Leithian (2cd concept progrock/metal)
Overkill - Ironbound

non-metal:
Nick Magnus - Children of another God
(if you're in a "softer" mood check http://www.magnus-music.com/coag.htm )

Strictly 2010 stuff so far:

Heathen
Tarot
Armored Saint
Enforcer
White Wizzard
Astral Doors
Wuthering Heights
Masterplan
Phantom-X

This will comprise at least 7 of my top 10, but so far:
Dream Evil
Fozzy
Ratt
Armored Saint
State of Rock
Avantasia (it was okay)
When the Empire Falls EP
Vanden Plas
Rhapsody of Fire (this is the first album by them I've actually kind of liked)
And probably 2-3 others I'm forgetting.

My favorite album I've discovered this year (and played the most over the last few months) is Symphonity - Voice From the Silence.

They were flawless through 1977!

Let me recommend Jon Anderson's first solo album, if you don't have it. Olias of Sunhollow.

It's Dead Can Dance meets Yes. A lot of, "space," music, but in a good way, and I'm completely obsessed with it right now. It's a concept album inspired by the art of Roger Dean. Can't say enough good about it. Yes has been a big obsession of mine this year. The Who also.

Favorite Yes albums are:
Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, The Yes album....but you are right, everything through 77 is pretty damned great.

I ask because I'm sure there are some things I've missed....but also because we are half way through the year, and I'm curious to see what 2010 releases are mentally parked on everyone's top 10 lists.

No order yet for me, but:

Overkill - Ironbound (This will most likely be my number 1. A celebration of every major metal archetype)
Tryptikon - Eparistera Deimones
Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
Immortal - All Shall Fall (Came out last year, but I missed it, and I love it)

Waiting for: Accept, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Black Country Communion, ???

Non-metal stuff I'm liking this year:
old David Bowie
old Yes
Free
Haha i just got tickets to see Yes and Peter Frampton on sale for $10. Ironbound is a pretty sick album, just heard it for the first time yesterday.

Let me recommend Jon Anderson's first solo album, if you don't have it. Olias of Sunhollow.

It's Dead Can Dance meets Yes. A lot of, "space," music, but in a good way, and I'm completely obsessed with it right now. It's a concept album inspired by the art of Roger Dean. Can't say enough good about it. Yes has been a big obsession of mine this year. The Who also.

Favorite Yes albums are:
Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, The Yes album....but you are right, everything through 77 is pretty damned great.

Thanks, Wyz. I've planned to buy it numerous times but always walk away with something else. I WILL get it soon.

The debut solo record by Chris Squire, "Fish Out of Water", is a masterpiece and is clearly in line with those classic Yes records. Highly recommended!

I'm way behind on '10 releases...
From what I've heard so far, I think the Orphaned Land & Jon Oliva's Pain disks are both good.

1. Exodus - Exhibit B

2. Sons of Liberty - Brush Fires of the Mind

Looking forward to hearing the new Forbidden, Deathrash, and Keep of Kalessin.

I'm on the fence about getting Sons of Liberty. I dug the hell out of the last two Iced Earth albums (their best in my opinion), but John's politics are not my cup of tea....and that album is all politics. Still might give it a shot.

Haven't picked up the Exodus, but for no good reason. It's on my to do list.

Echoes - Nature|Existence
Armored Saint - La Raza

These are the two that have really stood out so far. JOP was good too as was the new Rage. Masterplan isn't bad by any means but didn't quite meet my expectations.

1 ratt- infestation :had little hope for this album and it blew me away
2 jeff beck- emotion and commotion :beck godlike as always
3 overkill- ironbound :not a huge fan of the band but one of the best new releases from an older thrash band
4 willie nelson- country music :willie's best album since the early 80's
5 ringo starr- y not :i've liked ringo's newer albums but this is his best album since the late 90's album vertical man
6 scorpions- sting in the tail :their last album supposedly but i thought humanity hour 1 was stronger
7 keel- streets of rock :solid return to form by one of the best 80's singers
8 jackyl- when moonshine and dynamite collide : overall solid but a few tunes are misfires and no chainsaw
9 nevermore- obsidian conspiracy : wow the five year wait was worth it. great vocals
10 tom petty-mojo : just purchased it and its very different for petty. Most of the songs have an allman brothers feel. This probably will move up but it needs more spins to grow on me