What book are you reading now?

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Fuck me drunk it's been quiet around here the last couple of days, so I'm gonna start a thread about a quiet activity: reading.

What book are you reading now, and what was the last one you finished? Or what else have you read lately?

In the last few weeks I've re-read 3 old school books, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye and The Day of the Triffids. All ruled very muchly.

I'm half way through Beds Are Burning, which is a very good book on the mighty Midnight Oil.

The Catcher in the Rye..they are all after you now.

I'm reading "The Swords of Night and Day", by David Gemmell

having just finished "White Wolf", the story before that in the Druss saga.

Before that I read the "Yes Men", and the last Chaser annual.

Half way through both The Stand and Revelations.

two weeks off work, and my eyes work for useful stuff again.

I've got "The Time Traveller's Wife" by someone whose name I can't remember on the go at the moment. It's different, and very very good.

The last one finished was "A Feast For Crows" by George R. R. Martin. It's the first part of book 4 of "A Song of Ice and Fire", a series that I can recommend to anyone, assuming they like big, heavy books and really, really involved plots. And who don't mind waiting for years between books. Like I say, I just finished the first part of book 4, the second part of book 4 is due sometime in March I think. And book 3 was published in 2002 (I think). Oh well, only books 5, 6 and 7 to wait for now.

I am reading Bill Bryson's 'Down Under', just finished 'Falling Leaves' (an autobiography kinda thing on growing up in China in the last century).

Winmar,
Yes Men was very funny...I can't beleive what they got away with...maybe seeing some of the drivel that our managers come back with from conferences I can.

Winmar said:
Down Under is very entertaining. Have you read any of his other books?

I have read African Diary, which was short but good.. And the first chapter of 'The Lost Continent', which was hillarious! But picked up Down Under, it's good so far! Any others you recommend?

Just finished The Ressurrectionists by Kim Wilkins. 692 pages of gothic goodness from the best author in Australia.

Next up is The Closers by Michael Connolly, End In Tears by Ruth Rendell and S is for Silence by Sue Grafton. After that I'm paying a visit to The Autumn Castle, another one from Ms Wilkins :).

W

Triumph Of The Sun - Wilber Smith
The Rise And Fall Of The Third Riech - William Shirer

:hotjump:

Kim Wilkins is indeed a good writer. I think I've got the Autumn Castle at home somewhere. I'll get to that in a bit.

Haven't read anything else by GRRM though. Shannow, is it as detailed and intricate as all hell?

phlogiston said:
Kim Wilkins is indeed a good writer.

That she is. I interviewed her a while back and will assemble the best bits into an article when I have a moment. Remind me to send you a copy :).

phlogiston said:
I think I've got the Autumn Castle at home somewhere. I'll get to that in a bit.

Picked that one up at the post-Christmas sales much to my surprise. Technically I'm not allowed to buy books any more due to lack of space. If I had TARDIS sized shelves it wouldn't be a problem.

W

:lol:

Mekachrome, all of Bill Bryson's books are good, though Notes From a Small Island is probably the least good. It needed a good edit. His books on the English language are great as well, particularly Mother Tongue. He's hilarious at times. What's the African one like? I haven't read that or his history of everything in the universe ever.