Hammer and the Cross book series?

gageman92

Jan 27, 2009
One of my friends recommended this book series to me because due to my interest in Norse Mythology/Viking themed stories. I was just curious if any of you have read it(if so, what did you think?) or could recommend some other good books with similar themes?

The Last Kingdom is really good. Unfortunately the series kind of slows down by the 4th book. The main charater is a Saxon but it takes place when the Danes were trying to take over England.
The Long Ships (Röd orm) is a must read. The original is in old Swedish but they have translations.
I tried to read The Last Light of the Sun but didn't get too far. A friend of mine who did read it said it was really good.
Valhalla by Tom Holt is based on ideas of Norse mythology and it's comical.

The Last Kingdom is really good. Unfortunately the series kind of slows down by the 4th book. The main charater is a Saxon but it takes place when the Danes were trying to take over England.
The Long Ships (Röd orm) is a must read. The original is in old Swedish but they have translations.
I tried to read The Last Light of the Sun but didn't get too far. A friend of mine who did read it said it was really good.
Valhalla by Tom Holt is based on ideas of Norse mythology and it's comical.

Thanks for your help, I will definitely check those first two out.

I own The Last Light Of The Sun which is indeed a pretty good book, have yet to actually finish it though.

Thunder God is good as well.

Bernard Cornwell has a whole series called The Saxon Chronicles. It includes several books, which is a good thing, because once you get hooked, you won't run out of reading material... The Pale Horse Rider, Sword Song, Lords of the North are the parts of the series that I can remember off the top of my head. Cornwell has other books out that are about the Saxons before conversion (Warlord chronicles). If you like Scandy mythology, you'll really like them, too.
Mother of Kings by Poul Anderson is OK, too. It falls under Sci-fi, but that's because Gunnhild (the main character, Erik Bloodaxe's wife) in real life was said to know of whitchcraft (seith), and so the book contains much of that. Robert Low and Tim Severin (as stated above)will do, but they're not my personal cup of tea (although they might be yours), but all that is horse shit compared to Heimskringla, anyhow.

Bernard Cornwell has a whole series called The Saxon Chronicles. It includes several books, which is a good thing, because once you get hooked, you won't run out of reading material... The Pale Horse Rider, Sword Song, Lords of the North are the parts of the series that I can remember off the top of my head.

The Last Kingdom is the first book in the Saxon Chronicles.