Hardcore Music?

well many of the hardcore fans think that if you dont dress properly and dont fit the hardcore image then you're just a poser.
Its either tight t-shirts, backpacks, gay hair, converse trainers, faded jeans, baseball caps or you get the baggy ripped shorts, baseball cap and white vest look lol

I don't like music scenes. That's not to say I don't like the people involved. There are just as many nice, honest people as there are assholes in every scene.

What I despise is that some individuals choose to embrace this "lifestyle" because it gives them a false sense of "self". "Hey, I'm different. Look at me. No one looks like me." Do clothes and image really define a person? In today's world, sadly, I would say yes. And many scenesters fall for this head, line, and sinker. They think that buy wearing certain clothes, and listening to certain types of music, they are being non-conformists, and expressing themselves. When in reality, they are merely being conformists in a non-traditional way. THey are shunning the "mainstream" and entering just another group where everyone looks and acts the same. How is that expressing yourself?

And music does not define people. Hell, even metal musicians admit to not listening to metal music on their downtime.

To some, metal is a lifestyle. To me, metal is just the type of music that I enjoy.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: The only way to truly be different, is to be yourself.

Music is my religion. I wake up go to work and come home and play guitar. I hope to someday be in a band, a good band at that. Metal is my main passion although I do enjoy other music. Metal is a part of me, I don't know when to finding something you like and being into it became something only apparently morons do. It doens't give me a false sense of self. I know who I am, and this is just where my pasion lies. Its what I like.
@dreamlord - come on man, I said poser with the laughy guy on it. I use that term loosely in a very, very unseriously manner. But if you are a poser, you are some one posing as someone too "individual" to fall in a petty group. Listen I know you might find it difficult, but you are a metalhead. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy other types of music. Hell man. I like the beatles. I'll even go out on a farther limb, I enjoy Load and ReLoad. :lol:
Dreamlord said:
I rarely attend shows because of the meatheadedness that many bring to the shows.
Thats a fucking pathetic excuse not to enjoy a band. What is this "metalheadedness" that you speak of? You don't want to go to a show because the people there are into heavy music? I have been to plenty of shows and the only assholes I've ever met outside of hardcore dicks were skin heads. I think we can all agree, skinheads are fucktards.
graveflower said:
And metal is for mulleted neanderthal high school dropouts who like to preach about their "week" fascist, bigoted and close-minded ideology. Hooray for retarded fucking generalizations!
You perfectly described slayer fans :lol:
@tal shiar agent 930 - I do see what you are saying about the "gansta/rap" value system but I don't think that name suits what your talking about being as it isn't about cash, money, or hoes. I would like to say that I can't stand cowardice, and not being man enough to face some one mono a mono yourself is spineless.

MetalHeadMarc said:
@dreamlord - come on man, I said poser with the laughy guy on it. I use that term loosely in a very, very unseriously manner. But if you are a poser, you are some one posing as someone too "individual" to fall in a petty group. Listen I know you might find it difficult, but you are a metalhead. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy other types of music. Hell man. I like the beatles. I'll even go out on a farther limb, I enjoy Load and ReLoad. :lol:

I know what you said, that's why I said if you were saying that in a humorous manner, then ignore what I said.

If being yourself if being a poser, like I said, then I'm a poser. THen everyone is a poser in some way. I could just as easily call you a poser for playing guitar and wanting to be in a heavy metal band. Not that I would say that and mean, but you get my drift. The word "poser" is thrown around too much these days.

I agree with Dreamlord 100%.
There is no affinity between me and the metal "scene".I come here to investigate new bands though mostly find myself wading through the pompous tripe that most of you "real metalheads" spew from your ugly faces.
I imagine there's a hardcore board somewhere with threads like: "Why do metal fans listen to music where the lyrics have no relevance to real life?"

It's funny how somebody who wads through alot of tripe and has no affinity for the metal scene manages to have over 600 hundred posts on a heavy metal message board. One might thing that person is in fact participating in the scene.

Dreamlord said:
I don't like music scenes. That's not to say I don't like the people involved. There are just as many nice, honest people as there are assholes in every scene.

What I despise is that some individuals choose to embrace this "lifestyle" because it gives them a false sense of "self". "Hey, I'm different. Look at me. No one looks like me." Do clothes and image really define a person? In today's world, sadly, I would say yes. And many scenesters fall for this head, line, and sinker. They think that buy wearing certain clothes, and listening to certain types of music, they are being non-conformists, and expressing themselves. When in reality, they are merely being conformists in a non-traditional way. THey are shunning the "mainstream" and entering just another group where everyone looks and acts the same. How is that expressing yourself?

And music does not define people. Hell, even metal musicians admit to not listening to metal music on their downtime.

To some, metal is a lifestyle. To me, metal is just the type of music that I enjoy.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: The only way to truly be different, is to be yourself.

your right in this point i will give you that, and i am not the typical metal head. But i am a metal head because about 95% of what i spin every day is metal, the other 5% is jazz or classical and i play metal music and classical music mostly.

I can say i am a metal head because i find what i like in metal music, the type of melodies i like, the type of harmonies, the lyrics, the people. I just realy enjoy the metal scene, and i love metal music.

So there for i call my self a metal head, and it not to be anti conformist or anything like that, i just feel that metal is for me i dont realy dress like it all thought i might have long hair so do most rock and roll guys.

As far as hard core i have freinds who like hard core and i went to the shows, i realy hated how the people hit each other, and i didnt like how sloopy the guitars and drums were, and i didnt like the vocals.

This is just the honest truth.

LordFireworm said:
There is no affinity between me and the metal "scene".I come here to investigate new bands though mostly find myself wading through the pompous tripe that most of you "real metalheads" spew from your ugly faces.
I imagine there's a hardcore board somewhere with threads like: "Why do metal fans listen to music where the lyrics have no relevance to real life?"
Ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

MetalHeadMarc said:
It's funny how somebody who wads through alot of tripe and has no affinity for the metal scene manages to have over 600 hundred posts on a heavy metal message board. One might thing that person is in fact participating in the scene.

One might also notice how I remarked about coming here to look for new bands.Maybe these posts are me adding my opinion of such acts?

It's rare that I enter any sort of a debate on these "metal is the best and hardcore fans are assholes" threads because any sign of intelligence is few and far between.
This time however, I've noticed that Dreamlord is making alot of points that I'd align myself with, so I thought I might drop by and entertain the children.

Let's just get one thing straight: I LOVE METAL MUSIC. Love it. Have done for quite some time now.
BUT, in real life (not on the internet) I don't hang around with any metalheads and I certainly don't go actively looking for friends who are metal heads. I don't dress like one and I don't go to "metal" bars.
I also listen to ALOT of other different types of music and certainly don't consider metal any better than them. I'm getting tired of saying that word so I'll end now.
You're not superior, cooler or anymore intelligent than someone else because you listen to a genre where bands have names like Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Overkill or The Haunted. I realise that seems like such an obvious thing to say, but by looking around at some of the posts on this board, you would'nt know it.

None_So_Vile said:
well many of the hardcore fans think that if you dont dress properly and dont fit the hardcore image then you're just a poser.
Ah, right.As opposed to metal where people in baggy jeans and Destiny's Child t-shirts are looked upon as Kings, yeah?
Nice one.

my point is.... to be considered a "metalhead" or a "hardcore kid" you dont haffa all look the same... I consider my self a metal head.... but i dont dress like one... i dress how i want to.... i just wish all the hardcore kids would dress how they want too... i really dont know how metal heads dress because i dont live around metal heads... its just Nu-metal fans... rap and country...... thats what you get when you live in iowa.... be you self dont be like other people..... when you try and be different by wearing the gay shit... you are all the same...

I consider myself "me, myself". I don't belong to any scene/lifestyle, I am me and happy with it. Quite an oddity these days, eh. You know what the motto of hardcore is (supposed to be)? "Stay true to yourself". Now that's paradoxal. Nowadays I see lots of kids with makeup/fake black hair/tight "poor" clothing etc. These kids dig bands that are labelled as "hardcore" (not that I understand why it's called hardcore, true hardcore is good, whereas these bands suck) such as Finch, Thursday, Atreyu and Taking Back Sunday. I also like hardcore, but not the popular, watered-out, emo-ish hardcore. I prefer bands like Refused, Raised Fist, Gorilla Biscuits, Straightfaced, Good Clean Fun, etc. I don't change the way I dress just because I like HC, though. Many people do. The people who do aren't "true to themselves", they are just chasing trends. It's horrible. I know a guy who used to dress as a skatepunker, now he dresses as a hiphopper, just because his musical taste buds have changed. That's the way it is today.

LordFireworm said:
One might also notice how I remarked about coming here to look for new bands.Maybe these posts are me adding my opinion of such acts?
Maybe so, but 600 something post from looking around for new bands? First off, looking doesn't require you to put your 2 cents in about every band you hear about but judging from you posts, you gotta keep talking.

LordFireworm said:
It's rare that I enter any sort of a debate on these "metal is the best and hardcore fans are assholes" threads because any sign of intelligence is few and far between.
This time however, I've noticed that Dreamlord is making alot of points that I'd align myself with, so I thought I might drop by and entertain the children.
So rare in fact that you are participating in this discussion, which I might add is about hardcore music and its following, not why metal is better than hardcore. So I guess you saw the tittle for the thread and said "hey, maybe I'll read about some cool new band and I'll leave 4 or five posts expressing my opinion about the band." Then somewhere in the middle you saw how every one, save DreamLord, was shitting on Hardcore and you decided that posting was worth your time.
LordFireworm said:
You're not superior, cooler or anymore intelligent than someone else because you listen to a genre where bands have names like Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Overkill or The Haunted. I realise that seems like such an obvious thing to say, but by looking around at some of the posts on this board, you would'nt know it.
Who said they were superior? I sure know I didn't say that. I do recall me talking about what I dislike about hardcore but I never said I was superior. The problem I have, you Irish prick, is that your accusing people of the same damn thing your doing. "look at me, I'm above all you metal heads because I don't look down on other people (hardcore) for their tastes." Your guilty of the same damn thing.
Judge not les thee be judged.

MetalHeadMarc said:
You perfectly described slayer fans :lol:
@tal shiar agent 930 - I do see what you are saying about the "gansta/rap" value system but I don't think that name suits what your talking about being as it isn't about cash, money, or hoes. I would like to say that I can't stand cowardice, and not being man enough to face some one mono a mono yourself is spineless.

i'll grant you that one easily in regards to the whole money issue thing with the hardcore fans.

Uuuh. This is such a complete fucking mess of a thread I'm very surprised I'm even replying, but:
Dreamlord said:
If metalheads want to be left alone, that's fine. But I have to ask this, why do metalheads constantly feel they need to "educate" people about metal and make these people listen to metal bands? It seems if you want to be left alone, you would pretty much keep to yourself and shun outsiders.
Dreamlord. Please insert the word "some" or "certain" before "metalheads" in your second sentence. Don't be a dickhead, don't overgeneralize. We don't all want others to listen to metal, we don't all behave like the people in this thread. I care not whatever the fuck other people do. If you want to call all metalheads "pathetic" then be my fucking guest but that would include me and others who don't even fit into your reasons for "metalheads" being pathetic.
Dreamlord said:
Instead, I constantly see threads where newbies to metal are asking for "new" bands, and people obliging him.
Sure. The metal newbie already listens to metal. If he says "HAY I LIEK IN FAELMS WAHT R SUM OTHER BANDS IN TEH SAEM STYEL" what is wrong with giving him some hints? In that case, one would not be saying "metal is better than the shit you're listening to" but "cool, you like this metal band, well feel free to check out these bands as well which are also metal."

phyre said:
Dreamlord. Please insert the word "some" or "certain" before "metalheads" in your second sentence. Don't be a dickhead, don't overgeneralize. We don't all want others to listen to metal, we don't all behave like the people in this thread. I care not whatever the fuck other people do. If you want to call all metalheads "pathetic" then be my fucking guest but that would include me and others who don't even fit into your reasons for "metalheads" being pathetic.

If you're going to call me out on this, you might as call out every single person in this thread that's saying hardcore kids are stupid neanderthals, etc.

Sure. The metal newbie already listens to metal. If he says "HAY I LIEK IN FAELMS WAHT R SUM OTHER BANDS IN TEH SAEM STYEL" what is wrong with giving him some hints? In that case, one would not be saying "metal is better than the shit you're listening to" but "cool, you like this metal band, well feel free to check out these bands as well which are also metal."

The point was that someone had said metalheads want to be left alone. If that is so, why are people helping newbies? If metalheads want to be left alone, tell the newb to eat shit and leave.

Dreamlord said:
If you're going to call me out on this, you might as call out every single person in this thread that's saying hardcore kids are stupid neanderthals, etc.
I'm going to let the hardcore kids defend themself while I as a metalhead deal with the people who call ME pathetic.
Dreamlord said:
The point was that someone had said metalheads want to be left alone. If that is so, why are people helping newbies? If metalheads want to be left alone, tell the newb to eat shit and leave.
Well, obviously all metalheads don't want to be left alone all of the time by everyone..? I responded to mainly this:
Dreamlord said:
Instead, I constantly see threads where newbies to metal are asking for "new" bands, and people obliging him.
...by asking what would be so strange about metal fans helping other metal fans to find bands? I don't see how that can't coincide with the "want to be left alone" bit.

Ok, I'll admit, I like a lot of hardcore. I like bands like AFI, Converge, H2O, Dillinger Escape Plan, Atreyu, From Autumn to Ashes, Eighteen Visions, Everytime I Die, Dead to Fall, As I Lay Dying, some Zao, some Earth Crisis, Killswitch Engage, Blood Has Been Shed, Nora, Underoath, Unearth, Locked in a Vacancy, etc. etc. etc. I also live in Philadelphia, which is a very odd city, seeing as how, for the most part, the hardcorekids and metalheads get along great. I was talking to one of the guys from Unearth after they played with In Flames and the guy was amazed at how there were absolutely no fights at all during the show. Not one. and that wasn't an isolated incident either. I'll go to a metal show and see a lot of Unearth or Earth Crisis shirts, and then I'll go to a hardcore show and see about 20% Nile t-shirts. I guess Philly is the exception, and not the rule. And when it comes to pits, I follow the basic rule of "When in Rome..." If I'm at a metal show, I'm more likely to be up front headbanging and singing along. If I'm at a hardcore show, I'm most likely in the pit, swinging away. It's as much a release as classic "moshing" And I've been kicked and punched in the face and chest numerous times, and the guy who did it always turns and says he's sorry before he goes back in there. Even if I'm wearing a Nile or Arch Enemy shirt:p. Like I said, Philly is probably the exception and not the rule from what I've been reading, but from talking to people in the harcore scene, especially bands, I can imagine any violence and hostility between hardcore kids and metalheads to be about equally each others fault. Of course I could be wrong.