Has Anthrax become the joke band of metal?? Seriously.

Dredd74

This was posted on the RBC site. It's an interview with Slayer in the current Kerrang issue, and they ask about the reunion of the band and this is what Araya says.

THIS IS YOUR FIRST RECORD WITH THE REUNITED, CLASSIC LINE-UP.
Tom: "For me there's a lot of satisfaction in that. The last band to try to go back to their original line-up was Anthrax, and they're not really doing well at all. They planned an entire US tour, but they're not getting sell-out crowds."

Now, not speaking as a "reunion basher", but as a fan of metal. Has Anthrax become the laughing stock band of the metal industry?? Seriously, that's like the 10th thing I've seen where bands have dissed this Anthrax lineup or made a comment about it not being good or working out. Has this reunion possibly hurt their chances of being taken seriously by other musicians?? I don't really understand how it could, I hate it for my own reasons, but why all the flak from other bands??

This is news to me. I have not read anything negative from other bands in any of the media I've seen in print or online.

I haven't heard bands diss the reunion but I haven't exactly heard other bands herald this as the BE ALL END ALL of Anthrax line ups eithers. As much as I dislike this reunion for my own reasons (I also like it for my own reasons too, after all, it's the Anthrax line up that got me hooked in the first place), I'll let the next originall LP do the talking for me. Sell out crowds are great but it's not a way to gauge how well a band is doing.

Rozy157 said:
This is news to me. I have not read anything negative from other bands in any of the media I've seen in print or online.

Derrick Green of Sepultura: "...they're furiously backpedaling, playing old songs and trying to recapture the old days.."

jackfromczech said:
Derrick Green of Sepultura: "...they're furiously backpedaling, playing old songs and trying to recapture the old days.."

Thats funny--Derrick Green has something to say about living past glories OR someone elses glories for that matter :Smug:

Dredd74 said:
This was posted on the RBC site. It's an interview with Slayer in the current Kerrang issue, and they ask about the reunion of the band and this is what Araya says.

Tom: "For me there's a lot of satisfaction in that. The last band to try to go back to their original line-up was Anthrax, and they're not really doing well at all. They planned an entire US tour, but they're not getting sell-out crowds."

Now, not speaking as a "reunion basher", but as a fan of metal. Has Anthrax become the laughing stock band of the metal industry?? Seriously, that's like the 10th thing I've seen where bands have dissed this Anthrax lineup or made a comment about it not being good or working out. Has this reunion possibly hurt their chances of being taken seriously by other musicians?? I don't really understand how it could, I hate it for my own reasons, but why all the flak from other bands??

Wow! I didn't know Slayer sold out that half-empty venue where I saw them 2 months ago.

But anyway, I don't think Anthrax does what they do because they want approval from other bands. Are they supposed to?

jdelpi said:
Wow! I didn't know Slayer sold out that half-empty venue where I saw them 2 months ago.

But anyway, I don't think Anthrax does what they do because they want approval from other bands. Are they supposed to?

last time i saw Slayer about a month ago or so, the place was fucking packed.....and they have already put out a new album with their "reunited" lineup.

SMP840 said:
last time i saw Slayer about a month ago or so, the place was fucking packed.....and they have already put out a new album with their "reunited" lineup.

"already"? They've been reunited for four years. Yeah, Slayer gets more fans than Anthrax now. And Judas Priest gets more than Slayer. And Iron Maiden gets more than Judas Priest (outside the US). And Metallica gets more than Iron Maiden. (in some parts of the globe) Anthrax isn't going to pack arenas on their own, regardless of who is singing. They just have to keep playing regardless.

PS John Bush rules.

jackfromczech said:

Well, that and Slayer make 2 comments. (Like anyone cares what Derrick Green has to say about anyone.) Where's the other 8?

jdelpi said:
"already"? They've been reunited for four years. Yeah, Slayer gets more fans than Anthrax now. And Judas Priest gets more than Slayer. And Iron Maiden gets more than Judas Priest (outside the US). And Metallica gets more than Iron Maiden. (in some parts of the globe) Anthrax isn't going to pack arenas on their own, regardless of who is singing. They just have to keep playing regardless.

PS John Bush rules.

true. I am just growing a bit anxious to hear what a new album could possibly sound like.

PSS John Bush kicks ass

Dredd74 said:

Hmmm...
  • Ask if Anthrax is a laughing stock.
  • Exaggerate the extent to which other bands have "dissed this Anthrax lineup." (I'm sure they think Among the Living sucks too.)
  • Ask if Anthrax can't be taken seriously.
But then say you're not bashing!? Good grief.

But let's analyze this. In the past year and a half (approximately) they have played with Megadeth, Judas Priest and Rob Zombie. They have also played at Dynamo and Download. Do other musicians take them seriously? You tell me. And don't forget they played with Nerve Damage.

SMP840 said:
true. I am just growing a bit anxious to hear what a new album could possibly sound like.

PSS John Bush kicks ass
Slayer kicks ass also.

I especially like Kerry King's solo in that Sum 41 song. JUST KIDDING

jdelpi said:
I especially like Kerry King's solo in that Sum 41 song. JUST KIDDING

Speaking about Slayer's guitar solos, I was listening to Christ Illusion and I thought the first track is pretty fucking cool...until the first solo. It was so bad it was beyond laughable.

Anyway, Anthrax kicks Slayer's ass anyday they want to play a co-headline show.

I dont think the Thrax have become a joke band, i do think however they have lost a bit of credibility with their longtime fans who have been there through thick and thin (or from 95-00 thin and thin). From reading posts here and in the CDC it looks like a lotta people are becoming disillusioned with the reunion and the whole nostalgia trip. I personally just wanna here some new Thrax, i'd prefer it to be with Bush but I'd settle for anything at the moment.

Oh and i dont care what Kerry thinks :) He's outspoken for the sake of it these days.

jackfromczech said:

LOL he only tries to talk right SEPULTURA's lack of success recently, geez it's inevitable that max will return in the coming 2 years, mark my words. I never liked SEPULTURA in teh first place BTW, but especially not since Max left.

I know we all just need to wait and see what happens with a new record, etc, but after 18 months I'm getting a little impatient.

Whilst I'm a bigger fan of the Bush years, ultimately I just want something to happen, anything.... Bush, Belladonna, Barney the Dinosaur ... I don't care.

Is the reunion a permanent thing? After 18 months, hell after 12 months I would have said yes, but still we're waiting ... and I think that's what's annoying the hell out of everyone.

And I do think it's having an affect on the credibility of the band.

Are the band really still legally gagged?

I, the other fans, and probably the band too I would imagine are just frustrated I guess.

Ack, who knows. I'm away to the shop for a bottle of ice cold Irn Bru.

Dredd74 said:

QUOTE]
Are they inferring that Slayer is on a reunion tour? The only member to leave and come back was Lombardo, the drummer. As important as he is, it doesn't compare to the changes Anthrax has undergone. Joey, Frank and Dan were all gone at one point. Seems like a stretch to compare that to Slayer.
Is the reunion really going that poorly? Maybe their peers are kind of put off by the way John Bush was handled?

what do slayer know anyway? how to write one song repeatedly for 20 fucking years, play live like its the last thing on earth u want to do and yet still some sort of massive kudos in the metal world? that my friends is a joke. their new album is fucking hilarious, its like its written by 3 year olds..........

Back