Has any interviewer asked Mikael about the black metal album after Deliverance?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
You know he mentioned willing to do a more black-ish album after Deliverance. I can guess his opinions may have changed in the interim, but I was just curious if anyone asked him about it.

If so, give me the links!

The album that was supposed to be borderline black metal ended up being GR. It just never materialized. Probably a good thing for Opeth that it didn't, because I'd say less than a quarter of their fans actually like black metal in it's truest form. There wasn't a trace of BM influence on GR. Whether this was a deliberate decision on their part, I don't know.

batmura said:
You know he mentioned willing to do a more black-ish album after Deliverance. I can guess his opinions may have changed in the interim, but I was just curious if anyone asked him about it.

If so, give me the links!
Yeah, it just never happened. That album was supposed to be GR. And I'm guessing he said it was more BM because of Per's addition, with keys.

My personal opinion is that he said that to indicate that Damnation wasn't the direction they were headed. I haven't seen the clip on the DVD in a while, but it seemed to me when I originally saw it that he was simply saying that they would "stay heavy", and that he didn't literally mean that it would be a BM album. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

Guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I do know that black metal thing wasn't realized on Ghost Reveries. I was curious if anyone ever asked Mike what happened with the idea and how GR is no where near black metal-ish.

batmura said:
Guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I do know that black metal thing was realized on Ghost Reveries. I was curious if anyone ever asked Mike what happened with the idea and how GR is no where near black metal-ish.

Huh? I don't understand. Can you rephrase? "Do know was realized...no where near black metalish"??? What do you mean? You seem to contradict yourself.:erk:

I asked Mikael about it in Madrid. Basically he said something like "people use to ask me about the next album just after every release, so I have to invent something, because I have no clue about how it will be :lol: . It's true that somewhat I had the idea of doing something a little bit black metal-ish; in the end, the only thing that remained about it was the lyric concept of Ghost Reveries, which is more occult and evil than ever".