Has the Opeth forum lost it's way?

Firstly a lot of the people who had been here for ages and had discussed almost everything Opeth related over and over again have now left. After getting sick of going over Opeth related topics over and over again like a lot of forums these old guys started "pwning" noobs who raised something that had already been discussed. Now that these old guys, have left to "other forums" noobs are free to run wild with their shit threads, that haven't just been discussed before, they are not even worth discussing iyam. This, plus when every new album comes round heaps of new users aren't aware of a variety of things, plus Opeth have a way bigger audience both young and old in comparison to when this forum started.

However in the past when these new users came around after a new album, they were smacked into line by the older guys until they either started contributing or were scared off. Without these older guys, you see where I am getting at. When I first started reading this forum, in 02, I at first thought a lot of these older guys were assholes for raping anyones response that had been discussed before. Ironically now I can see some value in these guys, at least they scared off morons who didn't want to contribute anything but poll after poll of useless comparisons.

As was said it appears to be a generation thing, somewhat of a cycle of people who join and contribute, discuss everything, get sick of talking about it over and over again, crack the shits at younger users and then leave. But this cycle for really what seems to be the first time, there are very little of the older users who managed to stick it through and not leave. This is the reason for the more recent decline imo. So, what happens now? Does some of the semi older users step up to the "elite" and smack people into ranks? Will that fix this classic thread drought. Personally I post a lot more in the non-opeth section, there appears to be a lot more interesting conversation for someone who has compared/discussed almost everything Opeth related tbh. But there are still a fair few users who post something worth while, so I do read the Opeth threads when I get a chance to. Also ironically Opeth appears to have very little to do with people leaving this forum, moreso lack of interest in dissecting something that has been ripped to shreds for them.

Hilarious thread. I thought this place jumped the shark somewhere around 2004, and other people will say it was way earlier. I remember the old days of "Opeth Song Survivor" and such. Made it worth visiting every day.

There was a point where this place did get overrun with bad trolls and I stopped coming by, and I can't believe it was that bad prior to that. Even though some said it was bad in 03-04, there wasn't really a trolling problem then, just some noob issues.

I agree with the majority here, I think this forum's quality is declining. When there's a full page of new threads again, I find myself skipping at least 90%. I really don't mind new users, but there are a few new guys that just tire me. My main interest now is also the Off-Topic section, this board has really helped me to discover a lot of new music over the years and continues to do so. For this I'm very grateful and the good users that are still here are enough of a reason for me to keep coming back to the board.

Hopefully things will turn out fine with this forum...

They always do.

It's not like you don't have control over the fate of the forum. It is what we make it. If most of us agree that shit threads are annoying, then don't add to them. Don't feed the fucking trolls. Come up with good thread topics. Point noobs in the right direction when they could use it (you know the ones worth doing this for). Hang out in the Non-Opeth music Chat forum (and if you haven't done so, read the ENTIRE rare 70's prog thread).

I can understand what you guys are saying, I'm a noob here and I already found myself skipping a lot of threads because I don't really care to know which Opeth member has the cutest butt. However, there are still some very interesting threads from time to time that I really enjoy reading and I did find that marvelous function called "Search" on this forum that helped me find infos I was looking for in older posts.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Oh btw, who do you think has the nicest hair?? j/k ;)

They always do.

It's not like you don't have control over the fate of the forum. It is what we make it. If most of us agree that shit threads are annoying, then don't add to them. Don't feed the fucking trolls. Come up with good thread topics. Point noobs in the right direction when they could use it (you know the ones worth doing this for). Hang out in the Non-Opeth music Chat forum (and if you haven't done so, read the ENTIRE rare 70's prog thread).
+1

yeah ive been on here less than a year, i only started posting hardcore around march, but i agree around april this forum started getting some shitty threads(i made one or two haha), but now theres even threads with people just whining about how no one takes them seriosuly on this forum
i agree we should just ignore shit threads and just continue talking about opeth
i used to read every thread too, now i only read maybe 4 at a time

I agree there's a ton of noise on the forum that people don't really care about these days, moreso than years ago, but like...what do you expect the veterans to post about? There's really not much left to be said ON TOPIC besides the standard discussion of watershed which is already occurring.

Shit thread,,
Had to be said.. Agreed?

I find myself posting ALOT of bullshit.. But as there aren't any good discussions.. All threads are about, best song on which album..
I mean, c'mon..!
The ignorant fools have also been posting here since the beginning.. When I first came across this forum, in 2005 I think.. There were some nice discussions but alot of the threads were about best song on which album!
Pretty stupid or what? There were tons of people posting Shit Thread, and even more were complaining..

Its normal.. If you don't like it here, thats your problem..

Oh and the Photoshopeth thread should be revived.. Its dying! :O

I can understand what you guys are saying, I'm a noob here and I already found myself skipping a lot of threads because I don't really care to know which Opeth member has the cutest butt. However, there are still some very interesting threads from time to time that I really enjoy reading and I did find that marvelous function called "Search" on this forum that helped me find infos I was looking for in older posts.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Oh btw, who do you think has the nicest hair?? j/k ;)

YES! Using the search function before deciding to make a new thread! You get extra points from me. :)

They always do.

Wise words from one of the Pillars of Opeth Forum. :headbang:

:)

Firstly a lot of the people who had been here for ages and had discussed almost everything Opeth related over and over again have now left. After getting sick of going over Opeth related topics over and over again like a lot of forums these old guys started "pwning" noobs who raised something that had already been discussed. Now that these old guys, have left to "other forums" noobs are free to run wild with their shit threads, that haven't just been discussed before, they are not even worth discussing iyam. This, plus when every new album comes round heaps of new users aren't aware of a variety of things, plus Opeth have a way bigger audience both young and old in comparison to when this forum started.

However in the past when these new users came around after a new album, they were smacked into line by the older guys until they either started contributing or were scared off. Without these older guys, you see where I am getting at. When I first started reading this forum, in 02, I at first thought a lot of these older guys were assholes for raping anyones response that had been discussed before. Ironically now I can see some value in these guys, at least they scared off morons who didn't want to contribute anything but poll after poll of useless comparisons.

As was said it appears to be a generation thing, somewhat of a cycle of people who join and contribute, discuss everything, get sick of talking about it over and over again, crack the shits at younger users and then leave. But this cycle for really what seems to be the first time, there are very little of the older users who managed to stick it through and not leave. This is the reason for the more recent decline imo. So, what happens now? Does some of the semi older users step up to the "elite" and smack people into ranks? Will that fix this classic thread drought. Personally I post a lot more in the non-opeth section, there appears to be a lot more interesting conversation for someone who has compared/discussed almost everything Opeth related tbh. But there are still a fair few users who post something worth while, so I do read the Opeth threads when I get a chance to. Also ironically Opeth appears to have very little to do with people leaving this forum, moreso lack of interest in dissecting something that has been ripped to shreds for them.

By "old guys" you must mean those masturbating fatty's still living in their parent's basement...