Has the Opeth forum lost it's way?

Awake_In_Animosity

Fearing a Blank Planet
Apr 12, 2005
Hobart
www.instagram.com
Seems to be a lot of noobs on here since the new album and without offending anyone there seems to be a lot of duplicate topics started which has been answered before on the forum. Try using the search function - it works. I might be an old fart but I am now finding myself not liking the forum as much as I used to, There used to be some good people on here that now seem to have been over run.

Is the way that it is going to be with Opeth now that that they are a lot bigger, am I just going all tall poppy on this? I am not sure but I know that this forum used to be a lot more interesting than talking about Mendez haircuts and which member is your fav, and who is the hottest member of Opeth!!!! Food for thought and am I just an old bastard?

yeah. im pretty new too, but was on here before watershed was released... i liked it before.

although i do LOVE watershed. so amazing.

Well...
I think there are a lot of Opeth fanboys here.

That's not really a bad thing. I'm sure everyone has something they're fanboyish/girlish about.

There are worse things.

You're just an old bastard.

And there are still interesting discussions happening here.

Used to be a lot better, I agree, but I just try to avoid the threads that have already been answered, and all the stupid ones. It seems to happen to any forum when a new album is released, and eventually all the stupid, ignorant ones will be banned eventually and it'll go back to normal. But I don't know, we'll see.

Also as time goes on more and more is known about the band etc. And as people do come here for entertainment, I guess it's natural for stupidity threads to emerge. And as for old topics, I guess even though new issues arise to discuss, if the search function was used to its complete capacity there wouldn't be many new threads.

In a way it's just good to have people here, as long as the band doesn't take members' comments too seriously.

I've been around here for over 4 years. I mostly read but I contribute where I can. Most of my posts came in my first two years though. Since then, there has been a steady decline in the intelligence level of the average thread. I place the majority of the blame on people who respond aggressively, often without provocation, just as a way to insult or belittle the author.

I have my own feelings as to why this general trend has continued to occur, but they have been voiced previously and I don't feel like replaying old arguments.

As for people who post shit threads - this is unavoidable in a public forum. I myself wrote a thread a few weeks ago that had already been started because I didn't look on to the second page. No big deal. It was ignored, and has since disappeared. This is the way it should work. If people post shit threads, ignore them and they will disappear. In serious or repeated cases, responsibility should be left to the moderator to dispose and punish accordingly.

I've come very close in the past to taking this forum off of my bookmarks and leaving it for dead, but I do keep coming back. There is intelligent conversation out there, it just takes a little more effort to find than usual.

With every album, a bunch of veteran posters say, "Hey, this place has really gone downhill" and split. You can find those old threads. Funny to read them 5 or 6 years later (at least) and realize that this was ALWAYS a better place than it ever is. I get the feeling that on Day 2 of the forum, people were like, "Yeah, but you should have seen this place YESTERDAY... bunch of noobs here now..."

Give it time and it will settle. I miss a lot of my old favorite posters here, though. And I admit to wondering if I'll keep coming back here. But I do. So far.

I've been around here for over 4 years. I mostly read but I contribute where I can. Most of my posts came in my first two years though. Since then, there has been a steady decline in the intelligence level of the average thread. I place the majority of the blame on people who respond aggressively, often without provocation, just as a way to insult or belittle the author.

I have my own feelings as to why this general trend has continued to occur, but they have been voiced previously and I don't feel like replaying old arguments.

As for people who post shit threads - this is unavoidable in a public forum. I myself wrote a thread a few weeks ago that had already been started because I didn't look on to the second page. No big deal. It was ignored, and has since disappeared. This is the way it should work. If people post shit threads, ignore them and they will disappear. In serious or repeated cases, responsibility should be left to the moderator to dispose and punish accordingly.

I've come very close in the past to taking this forum off of my bookmarks and leaving it for dead, but I do keep coming back. There is intelligent conversation out there, it just takes a little more effort to find than usual.

Honestly, I could not agree more. This place does nothing but piss me off these days. The amount of shear ignorance is astounding. I've never been a huge poster, but these days I find myself wanting to post even LESS.

Mind you, I remember two years ago I made a post on here where I mentioned that I liked Tool and I got flamed by five different people, so I dunno. I should have jumped ship back then.

Some of you take this forum more seriously than I thought. It really isn't all that difficult to ignore the content that bothers you.

And do I hear people complaining about getting flamed? Welcome to teh Interwebz.

Who cares if duplicate topics arise? It's a public forum; repetition is bound to happen. Just ignore the thread and move on. Is that so difficult?

Honestly, if all of this bothers you so much and you can't find anything interesting here, just pack up and fucking go. Quit crying about it.

Yeah, not to sound bitter, but it's true that everytime I check the forum now I see 20-30 threads with new posts and hardly one that I could be bothered with. But that could be said of many band forums. I have always seen 'discussions' like "Which song is better?" or "What is your favourite album?" as pretty useless, not to say immensely uninteresting.

Well... A few years ago, I read almost every new thread while nowadays, I find like 4 interesting ones on 2 pages of new posts every day. I just skip the uninteresting and repeated ones. It's a bit more annoying to have to filter manually so to speak, but it's not horrible.

The forum definately has started to slip in a big way. I rejoined in april (hadnt been on here since the forum shut down for ghost reveries) and it had gotten pretty bad. Now since watershed came out... luckily there are still some of the intelligent posters on here, its just a pain to have to sift through the shit threads and posts

I tell ya' what we do see.....(in a 1940's voice) we go back to goin' back to usin' a telegraph machine! Yeah, see.....make em' learn ta' use morse code, daddy-o!!