Have you ever had this happen? Live vs CD survey

aztattooedsean

crazed tattooed metalhead
Jan 19, 2002
Chandler,arizona
www.facebook.com
Have you ever got a band's cds, enjoyed them, but didn't really click with that band until you saw them live where you said WOW I get it now!!!

I had that moment with Opeth and this past weekend I had it with Brainstorm!!!:Spin: :worship:

Pain of Salvation

My buddy, who I attended PPV with, told me to check out POS. I bought The Perfect Element, and 12:5 when it came out, and wasn't really digging it.
However, after their AWESOME performance at PPV, I threw Perfect Element in, and LOVED it. I bought BE at PPV, and love that, too.
I know have Remedy Lane and Entropia on the way from CD Inzane.

It's crazy how I didn't really dig them before, but now I'm feeling them :headbang:

Devin Townsend comes to mind. I'd liked Ocean Machine a lot, but never got the other stuff.

Then bam... that wall of sound that was so similar to the wall of sound I'd heard on Ocean Machine, everything clicked then.

Coupled with the fact that he was completely cool, funny as hell and helped us get back on track during sound check, won me over and I am now a fanboy.

Zilla

Symphony X - I'd heard the live CD thought it was pretty good, then saw them open for BG... BAM, blown away. Amazing live band.

I'd say Brainstorm, but I loved them before :) It happened for my boyfriend at Wacken though.

Mystic_Man said:
i cant believe you had to see opeth live before you got into them... :(

I really liked Opeth, don't get me wrong. I was just in a period at that time where I had no patience for long songs. I am a grind metal fan for lord sakes. I saw them the first chance one could see them in US and the rest is history.

Infinite Void said:
Pain of Salvation

My buddy, who I attended PPV with, told me to check out POS. I bought The Perfect Element, and 12:5 when it came out, and wasn't really digging it.
However, after their AWESOME performance at PPV, I threw Perfect Element in, and LOVED it. I bought BE at PPV, and love that, too.
I know have Remedy Lane and Entropia on the way from CD Inzane.

It's crazy how I didn't really dig them before, but now I'm feeling them :headbang:
I will say that I love Be but I don't see that being a good "first" cd for people. I have loved Pain of Salvation since I copied a 2 cd 80 minute comp of POS that someone made on the Mike Portney board and I am so glad to finally see them.

tattooedsean666 said:
Have you ever got a band's cds, enjoyed them, but didn't really click with that band until you saw them live where you said WOW I get it now!!!

I had that moment with Opeth and this past weekend I had it with Brainstorm!!!:Spin: :worship:

Balance of Power from PPII. I am surprised they didn't get a little more buzz than they did because they impressed the shit out of me and I really didn't know any of their stuff.

Bryant

Another one is Slaughter. I was never big into hair metal, but I went to see Slaughter open for Quiet Riot maybe five or six years ago sorta just for kicks because it was a live metal show and Quiet Riot was ok back in the day. Mark Slaughter peeled the fucking paint off the walls with his voice. He was an amazing vocalist.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Balance of Power from PPII. I am surprised they didn't get a little more buzz than they did because they impressed the shit out of me and I really didn't know any of their stuff.
If you liked their live show at PP2, then you'll love their live show now. The new singer, John K (also of Biomechanical), kicks ass live, and can nail the older tunes, too. I would absolutely love to see them back at PP in a higher slot.

--Mike

Gamma Ray, Opeth, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, and definitely Rob Zombie. The stage background and all the shit going on during his show was mindblowing. Excellent showman. Notsomuch Symphony X or Edguy, cuz I knew they were gonna kick my ass seeing them live, so I can't say them.

Oh. And Dream Theater. Hellakicked my ass the first time I saw them.