Have you ever had this happen? Live vs CD survey

Wishmaster said:
If you liked their live show at PP2, then you'll love their live show now. The new singer, John K (also of Biomechanical), kicks ass live, and can nail the older tunes, too. I would absolutely love to see them back at PP in a higher slot.

--Mike

Yeah, I heard that. One of my net buddies is the lead vocalist for Panic Cell and they played two slots behind BoP at BWBK. Panic Cell did really well btw (cool band) but I made sure I asked them about BoP and he said he was quite impressed.

Bryant

sadly,that last BoP gig at bloodstock the other week was also john k's last gig with the band-he's quit to concerntrate on his other project,the rather awsome biomechanical-damn shame,cause he was great in BoP,but he felt that he needed to devote all his time to one project!

Paon of Salvation.... I had heard a few of their tunes and someone even played an entire CD of theirs for me but it just neve clicked.... Then I saw them at PP5 and BAM!!!! All of a sudden they made sense.... I purchaes the first 2 PoS CD's @ PP and i dig both of them but Entropia is brilliant!!!! :headbang:

Midnight's 6am performance at the Fairfield made a believer out of meeee.... :)

Live performances that kicked a band into high gear for me.... Dead Can Dance (Toward the Within tour), Pain of Salvation (the now-infamous PPUSA 1 Chicago performance), Godhead, Ozric Tentacles (USA '99 tour), Wolverine (at first PP Europe), Evergrey (same place), Superior (ditto), Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir.

Bryant said:
Balance of Power from PPII. I am surprised they didn't get a little more buzz than they did because they impressed the shit out of me and I really didn't know any of their stuff.

Bryant
YES - never heard of them and they REALLY impressed me, especially in an opening slot. Bought two of their CDs right afterwards. Had heard some Vanden Plas and thought they were good but they totally got my attention seeing them live at PP - really great live.

I'd liked BRAINSTORM already..... but they are TRULY a LIVE band - their performance melted my feet to the floor. (S'why I was banging my head so much - I was trying to get unstuck!!!)

I tried listening to Iced Earth and Nevermore on several occassions, but then, several years ago, they came to town with a friend's band (the line-up was Iced Earth, Nevermore, and Destiny's End). DE was the only band on the bill that i'd liked at the time. After I left that show, however, I ran out as fast as I could and bought both IE and Nevermore CD's. I loved the IE (Something wicked), didn't really get into Nevermore (Dreaming Neon Black). It wasn't until several years later, with Dead Heart in a Dead World, that I actually started digging on Nevermore, and that was after having seen them live on several more occasions.

Usually I'll like a band more after I've seen them live, but there are several bands that I've seen live on more than one occassion, and I still don't care for (Opeth, Arch Enemy, In Flames). I was hoping that seeing Into Eternity live at PPV would help me appreciate their album more, but alas... :(

O.K. being a diehard Into Eternity, Opeth, Inflames and Nevermore fan you just insulted my favorite bands. You must keep in mind that Into Eternity had replaced almost half their band 3 weeks before PPV, I thought they did an awesome job. This is METAL, handle the heavy with the talent or stay out of the mosh pit!

baldyboy said:
sadly,that last BoP gig at bloodstock the other week was also john k's last gig with the band-he's quit to concerntrate on his other project,the rather awsome biomechanical-damn shame,cause he was great in BoP,but he felt that he needed to devote all his time to one project!

Doh !! That's Boloodstock, Panic Cell and BoP was at, not BWBK. Wrong festival. :err: I didn't know you hung out here Baldy...... Hopefully we will be talking about how much Panic cell kicked our ass at PP huh ?

Bryant

bassbitch said:
It wasn't until several years later, with Dead Heart in a Dead World, that I actually started digging on Nevermore, and that was after having seen them live on several more occasions.

Usually I'll like a band more after I've seen them live, but there are several bands that I've seen live on more than one occassion, and I still don't care for (Opeth, Arch Enemy, In Flames). I was hoping that seeing Into Eternity live at PPV would help me appreciate their album more, but alas... :(
thyelegy said:
O.K. being a diehard Into Eternity, Opeth, Inflames and Nevermore fan you just insulted my favorite bands.
OK, i see this on this board a lot, and this time i'm going to comment. Thyelegy, you are flat out wrong. bassbitch did NOTHING in their post to insult any of the four bands you named. They did not disparage their music, playing ability, or even really their live performance. All that they said was that they don't care for them. Saying that you don't like something is not an insult, it's a comment on your own personal opinion. For example, in my opinion, Into Eternity and Nevermore are awesome and I loved them both live. And in my opinion, Opeth and In Flames do nothing for me and did nothing for me live. *shrug*

Ryan

thyelegy said:
O.K. being a diehard Into Eternity, Opeth, Inflames and Nevermore fan you just insulted my favorite bands. You must keep in mind that Into Eternity had replaced almost half their band 3 weeks before PPV, I thought they did an awesome job. This is METAL, handle the heavy with the talent or stay out of the mosh pit!

I'm not insulting any band. Just not my cup 'o' tea.

And yes, I was aware that Into Eternity had replaced most of the band. My friend who went with me to PPV thought that they sounded better on the album, tho. Into Eternity was one of the bands that was overhyped by my crowd, so when I bought the CD and found nothing there for me, I was quite disappointed. I was hoping that, in seeing them live, I would see what other people had seen in 'em. Not my thang.

I can see listening to a CD and liking it, only to be really let down by a live show. However if you go into it knowing it was not your cup of tea why bring it up. There was more than one band that I was not into before Prog Power and they certantly did not win me over with their live performance during it. Out of respect for the fans of these bands I just do not put it out there. How I interpreted the post was that these bands, Into Eternity especially, alas... :confused: were not good enough live to win you over. If you did not find that to be a great fault why go through the trouble naming specific bands here and not just keeping the debate between you and your fiends.

i went into the live show optimistic; i'm very open minded when it comes to music, and I was hoping that the live show would add something to the CD. When i plonk down $16 for a disc, I would hope that i could get something out of it. It's often been the case that I am highly inspired by bands from their live shows and love the albums that much more. The instances i pointed out were where it was NOT the case.

I'm sorry you don't like that i don't like Into Eternity and the other bands. But hey, maybe the next album they put out will kick my ass. My mind remains open.

I often find bands come across live better than the CD.
Sometimes thier music is produced wrong, wrong in the fact that it doesn't accurately represent what the band is and sounds like.
Most of the time I find a song that I like better live than in the studio. Some of the music from Queensryche's Tribe CD comes across alot better live.

Then other bands after I see them Live only goes to solidify my love for them.

Burke said:
YES - never heard of them and they REALLY impressed me, especially in an opening slot. Bought two of their CDs right afterwards. Had heard some Vanden Plas and thought they were good but they totally got my attention seeing them live at PP - really great live.

I'd liked BRAINSTORM already..... but they are TRULY a LIVE band - their performance melted my feet to the floor. (S'why I was banging my head so much - I was trying to get unstuck!!!)

Yeah Brainstorm kicked what little ass I had left after Tad Morose blew me away. As far as VP, they have been my fave band since "The God Thing" and Tad Morose is very high on my list as well, but both exceeded my expectations.

Bryant