Headroom

Uncle Junior

Jun 24, 2009
Slovenia
...so I've been thinking about acoustics...

headroom is actually defined as space for let's say guitar's signal to get to it's highest point, by that I mean - peaks of a signal.

When there's no space left (no headroom) the signal get clipped in other words compressed. Being flat and not pointy anymore.

M8V81K40.gif

Now, if you play your guitar softly and lightly you will usualy have plenty of headroom and your guitar will sound clean. But if you will shred on your guitar, your headroom will shrink and your signal will clip.

Now everythinig depends on the structure of your guitar. If yyour guitar is massive and made from a particular wood, which makes it even louder your headroom will be low in the first place...

I have that problem because my guitar is made from one piece of wood and doesn't have a blot-on neck. In addition, it's massive and made from maple which makes the signal that the PICK-UPS are PICKING UP so strong it clips as hell.

Soft Maple:
Used extensively in Korea, it’s not as hard as hard maple. But it’s a little heavy, bright in the upper midrange, and dull sounding in the lows. The extreme snappy highs aren’t there either because the pores are so tight that the highs get compressed. Some redeeming qualities can be brought from it with the right pickups, if you like a brassy, searing upper midrange sound for the bridge or a dry, combed rhythm sound.

Production notes: Korean factories love it, for some reason it’s abundant and cheap for them. It’s harder on router bits than basswood, but they seem to be less concerned with clean, sharp cuts over there, indicating that they do not compensate with more frequent bit sharpening and replacement.

..SO I GUESS MY THREAD ON SORRY KOREANS IN OVERULED AND JUST BECAME FUCK YOU CHEAP KOREANS!!!

No headroom for me. So on 18V my guitar sound better but still clips if the pickups are raised very high and if I play very hard.

So end of story for my guitar, because nothing's wrong with the wiring or the pups. It's the damn wood :Smokin:

...and all of you highly raised EMG81 fans...I don't have to raise them and still get the effect of them being raised... :D

To sum up... I'll go to a tech and ask him to put the pickups and the floyd rose from this guitar

603.jpg

to this which I also own...

IMG_1824.jpg

I hope he can do it!!

Seriously - I would have just paid the $50 and had the guitar already setup and ready to go by now. Talk about beating a dead horse :lol:

"blot-on neck"

GUIZE I HAVE BLOTS ALL OVER MY GEETAR!
How do remove blot? ¯\(°_o)/¯

You wont be able to swap the floyds, the dimensions are bigger on the ltd...

Also :lol: @ AE

Been at the tech's house today, actually two techs. They both checked the shit and came up with same conclusion that the BODY STRUCTURE AND THE WOOD is resposible for clipping. Changed the magnets and still the same, changed the wiring and still the same.

SO STFU I YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way your Korean made bolt on is more resonant/louder than either my ESP Horizon or a friend's KL Explorer, and neither of them "clip the pickups"

...and for you a newsflash...MY GUITAR IS MADE OF SOFT MAPLE WHICH IS HARDER AND HEAVIER THAN MAHAGONY AND ALDER from which you guitars and your friends guitar is made of. My guitar is heavy like a damn bass. :headbang:

again:

Soft Maple:
Used extensively in Korea, it’s not as hard as hard maple. But it’s a little heavy, bright in the upper midrange, and dull sounding in the lows. The extreme snappy highs aren’t there either because the pores are so tight that the highs get compressed (AKA clipped). Some redeeming qualities can be brought from it with the right pickups, if you like a brassy, searing upper midrange sound for the bridge or a dry, combed rhythm sound.

Production notes: Korean factories love it, for some reason it’s abundant and cheap for them. It’s harder on router bits than basswood, but they seem to be less concerned with clean, sharp cuts over there, indicating that they do not compensate with more frequent bit sharpening and replacement.