HeathenFest - GO SEE THIS SHOW!

Great show here!

I missed the first band, but Vreid were great, a nice surprise. I picked up their latest CD at the merch table. Good, no-nonsense black metal.
Alestorm were really good, too. Seemed like they really hit their stride after the first song. Cool to hang out with, too...but I'll get to that. :)
Belphegor were also really good...took me a bit longer for them to hit their stride with me, about 4 songs. I picked up one of their more evil-looking shirts for my friend Ripper, since none of the bands had any of their more enticing shirts in XXL.
Eluveitie were great and considering that I wasn't too familiar with their stuff beyond Slania, I really enjoyed their show. I kept thinking "cool, the frontman is playing flute now...kinda reminds me of Ozric Tentacles" or "look at the chick a-crankin' away on the hurdy-gurdy, reminds me of Dead Can Dance." For a folk-metal band to meld those (plus violin, bagpipes, etc.) into one cohesive show is pretty amazing. I loved it (again).

It was cool seeing a lot of Forum regulars, there, too. I was kinda mobbed there after the show near the backstage entrance by the Arktide guys. :lol:

As for Alestorm, Ripper and I were unable to leave the venue for a while...because Alestorm's very tipsy lead singer accosted us on the side-road next to the venue when we were walking back to my car. "Hi! You're cool! You're my two new best friends!" Much hilarity ensued...including him at one point jumping into the back seat of our own Daniel Ratanda's car. :heh:

Lord, that was a silly and fun time! But we didn't feel like we could leave because we thought we'd hurt the singer's feelings. :lol:

Haha that was the car of some girl I met at the show! It was a fun show indeed! Belphegor took themselves a little too seriously though, which was kind of funny too though. How late did you stay out there Paul?

Haha that was the car of some girl I met at the show!

Yeah, I was kinda skipping over the fine details, there. :)

It was a fun show indeed! Belphegor took themselves a little too seriously though, which was kind of funny too though.

It was a little hard to take them tooo seriously when their lead singer's speaking voice sounds like a cross between the Muppets' Cookie Monster, Ludo from Labyrinth and Ahhnold Schwarzeneggar. "Sarrahh! Rocks friends!" :lol:

How late did you stay out there Paul?

It was around 1:30 when we left, I think. It was probably getting close to Alestorm's bus-call since the tour was heading to New Orleans next.
Long enough for Chris (Alestorm's lead singer) to give Ripper his cellphone number, which is kinda cool. (No need to worry about weird calls from Ripper, though; it's an international number. :heh: )

Good times, good times. Made me a fan. If and when I ever get my payroll direct-deposit (grumblesupposedtobethereSaturdaymorning), I'm seeking out some of their CDs.

Agreed with a lot of what was said here. My opinion is slightly biased as I was there to see Elueveitie and Alestorm. I knew of their music beforehand and was ITCHING to see them live.

The headman definitely sounded like Cookie Monster and it was hard for me to take seriously. I did not know Vreid at all beforehand nor Belphagor but while from time to time I find bands that have their type of sound for the most part I am in to more of a melodic metal sort of game.

Alestorm - Was downright awesome. I found them because I found Elueveitie online on youtube while watching a car video game video roflmao... The showmanship was awesome and they got the crowd going which was nice to see. Opening act it seemed everyone was just standing around and 'listening' to the music. No real 'action' going on. I can't wait to see these guys again!

Singing along with Chris and the masquerade crowd to Nancy The Tavern Wench was just awesome! Even caught Chris while he was walking around The Masq and got a pic with a friend. I think he was already on his way to where you guys found him outside ;) roflmao

Eluveitie - This was the main band I was there to see, Alestorm being 2nd. I was not dissapponted. Elueveitie has easily taken over a top 5 current favorite band. I know most of the songs they play so to hear them live, hear the crowd singing along it was great! I can't say enough of how awesome it was for me. With all the 'metal heads' hating and shitting on them abound I could give a shit. The show was awesome, I love their music and can't wait for their new album!

I bought a Heathenfest 2009 shirt to support the band. After seeing them both live I wanted to support them more. I already own all of their CDs but I bought their LTD Edition stuff to get the DVDs so can't wait for those to arrive.

It was a great show. Wish I knew of forum before so I could have met some members beforehand.

Next year... I hope they return with the new albums release...

I knew I should have stuck around longer. My friend and I wanted to stick around and wait for Elueveitie and Alestorm to roll out. Unfortunately 2 other friends were complaining it was cold and 'boohoo I am a little bitch let's go home'.

Next time I am sticking around! Hopefully they are coming back to Atlanta soon! On top of that The Masquerade is so anal about bringing in a decent camera. Unfortunately I was late to the show and both Merlin and Pade said come knock on the tour bus door to get the camera in :( big sigh Next time!

More props for a great show. Not a huge fan of Vreid, but I can appreciate their talent and penchant for straight forward black metal with a dash of rock and roll thrown in.

For me, Alestorm ruled the night! Incredibly fun and entertaining. I was surprised at how thick the sound was too. Pretty good mix, especially for the Masquerade. Great show!