Heavy bands with (mostly) clean vocals?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I've been getting a bit burnt out on growls/screams lately, and getting really into bands that showcase primarily clean vocals. I've got the standard Nevermore, Mercenary, Dream Theater, etc.. I'm looking for stuff more like First Signs of Frost, Periphery, and the clean parts of TesseracT and Textures.

This is proving harder than I thought! Doesn't have to be entirely clean, but the more the better!

WOW, I really hope there are multiple bands by that name, cuz there's a Zero Hour that's played here in Oneonta a few times (thus they're probably not that big :lol:, but the guitarist did have quite the rig), and I remember them being like generic radio rock.

Progressive metal on Sensory records. It was surely a different band.

"A Fragile Mind", and "Towers of Avarice" are my favorite albums from them. I don't like their newer stuff as much.

Ah yes, Zero Hour. While I think they're a great band, I should preface this by saying I don't really want suggestions for bands with powermetal vocals... just not quite doing it for me lately.

I've been getting a bit burnt out on growls/screams lately, and getting really into bands that showcase primarily clean vocals. I've got the standard Nevermore, Mercenary, Dream Theater, etc.. I'm looking for stuff more like First Signs of Frost, Periphery, and the clean parts of TesseracT and Textures.

This is proving harder than I thought! Doesn't have to be entirely clean, but the more the better!

Ha, good luck with that. It's sad how many bands with awesome music are ruined by their singer's "growls/screams".
Scar symmetry comes to mind although the clean/brutal ratio is 50-50. But the singer has an amazing voice. It makes me mad how unbelievably amazing this band would be without the brutal vocals.
You could also check my band although I'm not sure it's exactly the kind of music you looking for...nevermore and dream theater are two of my basic influences.

Try Sonata Arctica. Their earlier stuff is more power metal and their newer stuff is more towards progressive metal. Try the albums Ecliptica, Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night first.

YES, although "Silence" is my favorite, all the albums are great :)

Ha, good luck with that. It's sad how many bands with awesome music are ruined by their singer's "growls/screams".
Scar symmetry comes to mind although the clean/brutal ratio is 50-50. But the singer has an amazing voice. It makes me mad how unbelievably amazing this band would be without the brutal vocals.

NO - Christian's growls are just as amazing as his cleans, and if you don't like it, grow a pair :heh: