Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
x post! POSTING TO THE EXTREME!

ahem.

Anyway.

Going to metal-archives.com, when it works anyway, is always interesting.

Searching for "Christ" in the band name section gets a lot of results. Four different Antichrists. Rotting Christ. Behead Christ. Christ Skinner, Christ Denied, etc etc. You get the idea. Christfight. hahaha.

Album titles, searching for "Christ":
Spit In The Face Of Christ, 666 Antichristian Division, Death To Christianity, etc etc. 372 matches, although I'm sure there are plenty of neutral or pro-Christ songs in there. But there are loads and loads of anti-Christian album titles, and that's just for searching for the specific word "Christ".

Song titles, searching for "Christ":
2408 matches. Holy shit. I'll leave it up ot you to research how many of those are pro or con for Christ.

Band names, searching for "Mohammed", "Muhammed", "Islam", or "Muslim":
One match. Just one. A NSBM band called Muslimcorpse.

Album titles, searching for "Mohammed", "Muhammed", "Islam", or "Muslim":
Zero matches.

Song titles, searching for "Mohammed", "Muhammed", "Islam", or "Muslim":
25 results. Only five if we are just looking for "Mohammed". Including this gem by Lanz:Allah was a faggot and got fucked by his Mohammed.

Answer the following questions:

1- Do you believe that your religion is a choice you make?

2. Do heavy metal bands target Christianity because they mean it, or just because they can?

3. Do you think the criticisms usually leveled at Christianity by heavy metal bands also apply to Islam?

4. Given current world events and how they are affecting especially metal-prolific Scandinavian countries, do you expect more anti-Islam themed band names, album names, and song titles?

5. Would an anti-Islam band face more difficulties establishing and promoting itself than an anti-Christian band would? Why?

6. Do you think there would be different consequences for musicians being openly anti-Islam as opposed to being anti-Christian? Why?

7. Do you think Century Media or The End Records would sign and release albums by a band called Rotting Mohammed?

8. Do these questions make you uncomfortable?

9. Do your answers to these questions make you uncomfortable?

I think most metal musicians are simply more familiar with Christianity than Islam which is why they choose to attack it :confused:

There was metal band called Filthy allah.they played one gig and they blow away.LOL
Well if there would be anti-mehmed bad they would be afganistan or iran or somewhere in midle-east.
But have you hear any metal bands from there.

Spectacular Views said:
I think most metal musicians are simply more familiar with Christianity than Islam which is why they choose to attack it :confused:

You don't think metal bands all over Europe (and the US, this cartoon thing is getting major press over there as well, isn't it?) are becoming very familiar with Islam and its benevolent attitudes?

I Dont believe religion is a choice YOU make, I wonder how many people have sat down and pondered over the question is there life after death did my god really save us. The myth about christ has been nurtured over thousands of years and to some people it has become a way of life to others it is just a myth.No one has thought about it theoretically, many people are brought up into a Christian/Islam family or neighbourhood and therfore they don't really no anything else.

2. Do heavy metal bands target Christianity because they mean it, or just because they can?

I think some bands will target Christianity because they mean it and really do believe it is worth celebrating in music but some bands will just use the label "Christian metal" to gain a following of Christian metal heads and its any easy target there is no one out there that can contradict what there beliefs are.

3. Do you think the criticisms usually leveled at Christianity by heavy metal bands also apply to Islam?

In some ways the criticisms apply as they are both religions but Christianity is a much more widespread religion when Islam is'nt at this moment in time.
Islam I belive has differnt "rules" is you can call them that they dont really preach agaisnt all heavy metal like the Christians once did but I think there is still a notion that there is a God and a Satan in Islam I belive there are more than one God and even the Gods that have committed crimes like Satan are still perceived as "Gods"

4. Given current world events and how they are affecting especially metal-prolific Scandinavian countries, do you expect more anti-Islam themed band names, album names, and song titles?

I believe there will be more anti-Islam bands definitely because of recent world events and the damage this religion has done but narrow-mindedness will pigeon hole everyone in this religion as being a so called "terrorist"and a wave of anti-Islam bands is inevitable I dont so much about the band names but songs titles, lyrics and album titles are a possibility.

5. Would an anti-Islam band face more difficulties establishing and promoting itself than an anti-Christian band would? Why?

Yes I think they would because there Islam is'nt wide spread enough apart from where the religion was spawned and the priciples of the religion are alot harder to grasp than Christianity.

6. Do you think there would be different consequences for musicians being openly anti-Islam as opposed to being anti-Christian? Why?

Maybe they wouldnt sell many records in the middle eastern countries or be able to sell out major venues but other than that the same consequences apply apart from being lower scale the anti-Christian.

7. Do you think Century Media or The End Records would sign and release albums by a band called Rotting Mohammed?

Now the record companys look for the bands with appeal and if they will sell millions of records its not as much about the music but im sure if the band were tallented and had potential the might sign them and proberly ask them to change their name.

Yes.

Both, I think. Some bands seem to have a real ideology behind their music. But I'd say the majority of the bands that are anti-Christian are probably doing it more for shock value than anything else.

Yes.

Tough one. I think for some reason there is more of a taboo on being anti-Muslim than there is on being anti-Christian. Whether that is because Christians aren't really considered a minority in Europe (and in most countries infact aren't anyway) or because the backlash of being anti-Christian is just nothing compared to the way Muslims react when you insult their faith, I don't know. I think if anything the focus might shift from strictly anti-Christian more to just being anti-religion, without specifically targetting anyone in particular.

Yes. Due to reasons mentioned above, and because the current political/religious climate in the world I think most recordlabels and promoters would think twice before burning their fingers on an anti-Islam band.

Possibly. Muslims seem to have a much larger group of fundamentalists who still see violence and intimidation as valid means of responding to an insult or criticism. With Christians nowadays all you have to fear is maybe a few angry letters or a bunch of people picketing your door with signs that tell you you are going to hell. I live in the Netherlands where columnist/filmmaker Theo van Gogh was murdered (or slaughtered would be a more appropriate term) by a radical muslim just for openly insulting the Islam. So yes, I can certainly see the consequences for a band that does the same being quite more severe than the consequences for an anti-Christian band.

See answer to question 5. (No)

No.

No.

Heres a thought:

Anti-christian content in metal is a (quit immature) reaction against a domminant western cultural element. Its looking for a reaction, yes. Its also quite pathetic.

This is also why you dont see anti islam music. Its not prevelant in western culture or history. Theres no shock value in railing moronically against something no one round you really gives a crap about.

BUT now that you mention it, I think the that anti-islam bands would be more likely to be christian bands than anything else.

Thoughts?

Zozobra said:
This is also why you dont see anti islam music. Its not prevelant in western culture or history. Theres no shock value in railing moronically against something no one round you really gives a crap about.

Yep.

Islam is not intertwined with the cultural history of the West to the same degree as Christianity, and as most bands with anti-Christian views are from Western countries, it is a subject that they either feel more strongly about personally, or feel will have more relevance to the listener, either in shock value or in personal meaning.

Actually, I have been thinking about the anti-Christian references of various metal bands as a result of all this free speech debate, and I realised that if these bands were actually in the mainstream, there would be an absolute uproar, even though they are anti-Christian and not anti-Muslim. It's only because bands like "Rotting Christ", "Impaled Nazarene" and so on are not in the public eye that people don't bother to cause a fuss about it.

I know nothing about islam culture, but maybe because it's not taken over half the planet like christianity. It's probably not a threat or noticible in the regular culture. The US culture especially is affected by christianity daily. Christians even attack cartoon net works for christ sakes. Islam people probably don't care if they are noticed unlike christians who want to let it be known. Christians want to be in kids facea since day one so it seems more natural to be one.

I do not hear anything about islamic culture/religion. Christianity on the other hand is forced on the entire US. Not sure about other countries since i've lived in the US my entire life.

This little town alone has 3 christian churches and we have about 1000 people. why ?

Christianity is attacked because it's the most recognized religion. Who really gives a shit about islamic culture/religion. I don't even know what it is since it's never been pushed on me. Most people in the US probably no little about culture and only christianity. Even if christians are weak their is so many it becomes a threat so people notice.

The Greys said:
I know nothing about islam culture, but maybe because it's not taken over half the planet like christianity. It's probably not a threat or noticible in the regular culture. The US culture especially is affected by christianity daily. Christians even attack cartoon net works for christ sakes.

I do not hear anything about islamic culture/religion. Christianity on the other hand is forced on the entire US. Not sure about other countries since i've lived in the US my entire life.

This little town alone has 3 christian churches and we have about 1000 people. why ?

You DO have a TV don't you?

Why not have a look at www.bbc.co.uk every once in a while for some actual news; Islam pwns the other half of the world that Christianity doesn't, and it won't rest until it pwns that too.

Jim LotFP said:

It depends where you are from and what period in time you live in. I believe today it's easier than ever to choose which religion to take part in, or to not at all. I was raised Russian Orthodox, however when I grew up and started reading and actually thinking for myself, I realized so much of it was bullshit, and chose not to take part in any of it.

But that's because I'm lucky.

I'm sure some of them do because they are sincere, but it's all too popular to poke fun of Christianity at the moment. I know plenty of them just do it for laughs, as well as to make others uneasy.

Most metalheads I've known are quite anti-religious, in any context. However, I don't know any that blatantly bash Islamic beliefs in their music.

Yes. However I don't really know what I'm talking about anymore, I don't want to speculate so I'll just stop here.

Jim LotFP said:
x post! POSTING TO THE EXTREME!

ahem.

Anyway.

Going to metal-archives.com, when it works anyway, is always interesting.

Searching for "Christ" in the band name section gets a lot of results. Four different Antichrists. Rotting Christ. Behead Christ. Christ Skinner, Christ Denied, etc etc. You get the idea. Christfight. hahaha.

Album titles, searching for "Christ":
Spit In The Face Of Christ, 666 Antichristian Division, Death To Christianity, etc etc. 372 matches, although I'm sure there are plenty of neutral or pro-Christ songs in there. But there are loads and loads of anti-Christian album titles, and that's just for searching for the specific word "Christ".

Song titles, searching for "Christ":
2408 matches. Holy shit. I'll leave it up ot you to research how many of those are pro or con for Christ.

Band names, searching for "Mohammed", "Muhammed", "Islam", or "Muslim":
One match. Just one. A NSBM band called Muslimcorpse.

Album titles, searching for "Mohammed", "Muhammed", "Islam", or "Muslim":
Zero matches.

Song titles, searching for "Mohammed", "Muhammed", "Islam", or "Muslim":
25 results. Only five if we are just looking for "Mohammed". Including this gem by Lanz:Allah was a faggot and got fucked by his Mohammed.

Yes and No. Christians I know would claim that they "find" Faith - but that they feel it and nothing could have given them that feeling other than God. I think, personally, that people can seek to discover whichever delusions in life suit them best. In very strict families, many people have no choice about what religion they are edcated in. Of course, as they get older, they have a choice, but it's harder to make an informed choice unless they have been schooled in comparitive religion.

Both, but more often that the latter. Christianity has such a rich and widely known mythology that it makes it an easy and widely understood target. Christianity has, in fact, been broadly responsible for the history of Western (especially European) Civilisation.

All organised religions - but given that the God is "the same", again, broadly speaking yes. It would be hard to imagine Muslems being too upset about Deicides output regarding Jesus, as he isn't the Messiah to them.

Denmark isn't a particularly prolific metal country in the same way as Norway or Sweden. I think you can expect some (NSBM?) bands to crawl out from under rocks, but I think there will be many more anti-Muslem songs rather than fully grown bands or albums. After all, it would be hard to effectively criticise a religion that is not well understood by either the band or the listener without coming off like some racist street punk band (think Skrewdriver)

Record comanies aren't immune to death threats? THe worst a Christian pressure group will generally do is write angry letters. Muslem pressure groups kill you, if pissed off enough. WHen was the last time you heard of a Christian suicide bomber ?

See above.

No. Probably not - they'd fear a backlash in the press and the inevitable banning of their label in muslem countries.

Not as uncomfortable as this chair is; it's an utter kidney raper.

No. Ask me to my face, I'll tell you the same. I treat all religions with equal interest and dismay.

Carcassian said:
Record comanies aren't immune to death threats? THe worst a Christian pressure group will generally do is write angry letters. Muslem pressure groups kill you, if pissed off enough. WHen was the last time you heard of a Christian suicide bomber ?

Brilliant point, glad someone mentioned it.

What countries/places does islam have power over. Living in the US i've never really heard about islam. I rarely watch news or basic cable(i'm a movie person). I only watch the news when something drastic happens in the world. After 911 is when I started getting more into the news. I'm so bored with hearing about Iraq now I don't even bother. I'm not into politics.

Is Islam fucking with the US ?. I don't even know.

To be honest the world would be better with one religion. If a group of people took over and said join us or die it would be more effective. There is no way for harmony when you have ten trillion religous groups fighting for centuries. Every religion believes they're right and everyone else is wrong. The news for the next billion years is going to consist of stupid people fucking with each other over bullshit. I don't even care. People are not going to respect other people religions so something needs to solve it with a permanent solution.

Carcassian said:

Exactly what I was thinking, There is more of a chance I'd say something degrading about christianity, Like saying the Passion of the Christ is one of the funnies movies of all times. I would never make a comment like that toward Muhammed, strictly that Islams would react different beause they believe that killing for their religion sends them right to Allah.

The Greys said:
What countries/places does islam have power over. Living in the US i've never really heard about islam. I rarely watch news or basic cable(i'm a movie person). I only watch the news when something drastic happens in the world. After 911 is when I started getting more into the news. I'm so bored with hearing about Iraq now I don't even bother. I'm not into politics.

You're 18 years old and have no clue about the world around you...

... this does not bother you?

I'm not really interested about the world around me because it's just a people arguing over religion and politics which again not interested in.

I'm interested in the world it self... not the people. I like to look at say things in the world not hear about the world or know. I'm not going to watch the news so I can learn about people fighting over religion. Unless someone has a solution i'm not getting involved.

I'm sorry I can not talk adult like with religion,etc.. but the thing is I do not want to know about islam,etc...

People spend time learning about religion politics & other people's cultures.

For what ?

True enough in the current climate, but islam doesnt have the monopoly on terrorism: northern ireland had a problem with the IRA that was continuously bloody for about 30 years. That was a christian (and territorial) conflict.

And I'm not sure who to be more afraid of: a suicide bomber, or a plain old bomber: the latter is obviously cleverer and can do it again.

Plus, the only example of violence from a religious person I know of toward a musician or the music industry was a fundamentalist christian that tried to knife tony iommi on stage in the 70s!

But on the whole I agree that with the modern mentalities of extremist christians and extremist muslims, the muslim element are more dangerous (I say 'modern' for a reason: the spanish inquisition made the taliban look like the monster raving loony party).

Though would "Rotting Mohammed"s debut album get the same reaction as the Satanic Verses? I doubt it, personally. I dont know any muslims into death metal, they'd probably never hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.