Helloween last night @ MoJoes

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Hey, just wanted to post a quick recap of the show.

Good to see some of the forum regulars such as Bob, Simon, and a special appearance by Dave!!!!!!

This was easily the best MoJoes experience from a performance perspective.
I have not been to MoJoes since the Rhapsody show over a year ago.
The venue is a LOT more professional than before.
The sound guys and stage hands all knew what they were doing, and the show ran like a well oiled machine. The show started on time and ended at 11PM like clock work!

Only complaint was that it was VERY hot in there.
Also it was very packed for a Monday night.
They had the balcony closed off so the floor was pretty packed.
Even in the back it was very tight.

We, Ancient Dreams, had a pretty good set.
We had a couple bloopers that I dont think anyone caught onto.
There were a good number of folks who were getting into us.
Lots of people approached us after the gig and we made some contacts.
Gave away a good number of demos, which is always good.
All in all, a successful night for sure.

I did not watch any of Cold Steel so I will not comment.
I heard from most that they changed their sound drastically.

Helloween were.....well, Helloween! Perfection as always live.
I cant say I was a huge fan of the setlist.
While I love the new album it was a bit much to hear almost half of it live, or so it seemed. But with such a vast catalog you can't please everyone.

They were really cool guys. After the show they were all outside their bus for over an hour. I got almost everything I brought signed which was cool.

It is odd that you went back to meet Helloween to get stuff signed when you goof on people for getting stuff signed and saying meeting bands isn't your thing ever.

I agree...Mojoes has seemed to be running a tight ship. I was really happy to see the show start on time andit get over at 11 PM!!! Reggies needs to learn from this. For example...tonight at Raven they actually lost people coming to the show since it is getting out so late. So by adding a band to that show thinking it will help...it actually hurt the show because I know like 5 people now NOT going.

Mojoes needs to get the air conditioning going...It wasn't hot...it was more humid and swampy in there.

The crowd was VERY VERY accepting of each band which is odd. Rarely at a show do you see this.

Lords of the Trident put on an entertaining show with tons of props and fire swords and stuff. Surprised they didn't get into trouble after the show because of it. The crowd really enjoyed them. Ty the singer also runs into the crowd...but works a tad better since they are a joke band.

Ancient Dreams. Again, not a fan but the crowd really got into them as well. There was some sound issues but nothing major. Al needs to stay on stage. It has become laughable now with his antics. I think what it is with that is everyone then is watching where he is going and what he is going to do and you totally lose focus on the song.

Cold Steel. Was interested to see them. They became laughable when they walked out with the American Flag doing the tough guy thing on stage. Only a couple of the old songs sounded half-way decent. The rest was Pantera - tough guy metal at times. Crowd liked them as well.

By this time everyone was ready for Helloween. It got really crowded. Set list was not the best. Too many new songs early on. Crowd was into it which was great. They always put on a great show.

For example...tonight at Raven they actually lost people coming to the show since it is getting out so late. So by adding a band to that show thinking it will help...it actually hurt the show because I know like 5 people now NOT going.

This. I hate this practice and have basically stopped going to shows that have too many undercard bands that push the headliners way too late.
I can't remember if the 2008 tour had any local openers.

It is odd that you went back to meet Helloween to get stuff signed when you goof on people for getting stuff signed and saying meeting bands isn't your thing ever.

I only do this primarily for bands we play with.
It's like having another momento.

No, I don't regularly buy VIP packages just to meet bands and get autographs.

Furthermore, it's HELLOWEEN, who have always been a top 10 band for me.

This. I hate this practice and have basically stopped going to shows that have too many undercard bands that push the headliners way too late.
I can't remember if the 2008 tour had any local openers.

the 2008 had Stone Magnum, Bible of the Devil, Diamond Plate and Earthen Grave. It got our at 2 AM. it was a great show but everyone was gone halfway through Raven because it was so late.

While I love the new album it was a bit much to hear almost half of it live, or so it seemed. But with such a vast catalog you can't please everyone.

I agree completely. In my estimation, a band should play maybe 2 to 3 songs max off a new album. And for the love of God I hope they stop playing "Are you Metal?" It comes off as very poserish, especially for a band who let's be honest has for the most part been on the lighter side of metal.

Agreed. 3 songs off the new one would have been plenty.
I mean NOTHING off of Keepers III?
I thought that was the album they swore to be a game changer in the history of Helloween!
Seems they almost disowned it.

Oh well. Its still Helloween and it was great.

the 2008 had Stone Magnum, Bible of the Devil, Diamond Plate and Earthen Grave. It got our at 2 AM. it was a great show but everyone was gone halfway through Raven because it was so late.

As we said, thats the pisser of a bar show.
The bar couldn't care less about the bands.
The bands are there as background for the drinkers.
They don't care about catering to the people there for the bands.

If show ends at 11, that's 3 to 4 hours of no one drinking!!

They need to end bands earlier and think of a way to keep people there later.

I always felt these bars need a DJ to do an after hours set to keep the drinkers there. So instead of the drinkers heading to EXIT, they will stay at the show.

In Boston there's a few venues that have club nights which start at like 10:30 pm. So when the club does a metal show, it has an extremely hard curfew at 9:30. It feels bizarre to get out at the end of a metal show and have the night barely beginning, really, but now that I'm not 20 years old anymore I have no problem with it. Last December's Eluveitie/Wintersun tour and this summer's Cannibal Corpse tour were both like that.

The venue I'm describing is a pretty big one. But there's also a neighborhood-bar place that has like a Grateful Dead night from 5:30-7pm, immediately switches over into a metal show, then from 12:30-2am it becomes a dance club/techno rave. It's a whirlwind experience if you hang out for a whole night.

In both cases, they're staying in business and continuing to host metal shows, so I'm happy.

As we said, thats the pisser of a bar show.
The bar couldn't care less about the bands.
The bands are there as background for the drinkers.
They don't care about catering to the people there for the bands.

If show ends at 11, that's 3 to 4 hours of no one drinking!!

They need to end bands earlier and think of a way to keep people there later.

I always felt these bars need a DJ to do an after hours set to keep the drinkers there. So instead of the drinkers heading to EXIT, they will stay at the show.

the funny twist is the bar will make mess money because of this tonight.

In Boston there's a few venues that have club nights which start at like 10:30 pm. So when the club does a metal show, it has an extremely hard curfew at 9:30. It feels bizarre to get out at the end of a metal show and have the night barely beginning, really, but now that I'm not 20 years old anymore I have no problem with it. Last December's Eluveitie/Wintersun tour and this summer's Cannibal Corpse tour were both like that.

The venue I'm describing is a pretty big one. But there's also a neighborhood-bar place that has like a Grateful Dead night from 5:30-7pm, immediately switches over into a metal show, then from 12:30-2am it becomes a dance club/techno rave. It's a whirlwind experience if you hang out for a whole night.

In both cases, they're staying in business and continuing to host metal shows, so I'm happy.

I honestly think that people would go to more shows knowing you would be out at 10ish. Sure for small local shows it is more common to run later or in a bar. But at these venue type places I think they would get more people in knowing that they would not be there until 1 or 2 AM. At the Heathen / Destruction show a few years back it was packed. Middle of Destruction...the band everyone was there to see lots of people were leaving and telling freinds...I have to work tomorrow...I am leaving.

Even tonight it is hard to sit home till like 8:30 and then go out on a weeknight to a show.

Agreed. 3 songs off the new one would have been plenty.
I mean NOTHING off of Keepers III?
I thought that was the album they swore to be a game changer in the history of Helloween!
Seems they almost disowned it.

Oh well. Its still Helloween and it was great.

I know I'm in the minority but I still love Keepers III. Hell, they didn't play anything Keepers III on the last Hellish Rock Tour. I'm still dying to hear King for 1000 years played live.