Help me out please.

audiophileguy

Apr 5, 2004
What albums should I get for the following bands.
overkill
exodus
testament
iced earth

any slayer albums worth picking up after seasons?

Is LOG's first album worth picking up If i like atpm but not their newest?

I would download mp3s but i'm on dialup and I trust you guys a lot.

thanks in advance

Testament: Low, The Gathering (not really familiar with their older stuff)
Iced Earth: Burnt Offerings, Night of the Stormrider(remastered with Barlow for the sake of your ears), Something Wicked This Way Comes, Horror Show.

Basically any iced earth with barlow is amazing. I'll not suggest their new one though.

Well anyway, since the thread carried on. For their old stuff, I'd recommend getting...

Testament:The New Order and The Ritual. First Strike Still Deadly(mainly reworks of their old stuff with better playing)...Can't really go wrong with any Testament album

Exodus: work from the start....Bonded by Blood is a great album.

I don't know much about Overkill and Iced Earth, never was a great fan of Iced Earth to start with.

Iced Earth - Horror Show, The Glorious Burden owns dont listen to Arrakis, Burnt Offerings or Alive in Athens.

Slayer - Yeah, everything is good. But saying that their earlier stuff is a billion times better than their new stuff, new stuff is still good though. I would recommend you buy all their albums after Seasons except for Undisputed Attitude.

Assuming that LOG is Lamb of God, and not the sludge metal band LOG. I would definatly recommend you buy their first or their newest album. As the Palaces Burn is fucking awesome too, but NAG is their best in my opinion.

A couple of decent suggestions that shouldn't leave you disappointed (some of the others mentioned like Testament "Low" are not really representative of their best period and is sort of acquired tastes):

Testament: The Legacy, The New Order
Exodus: Bonded by Blood, Fabulous Disaster
Overkill: Feel the Fire, The Years of Decay, Horrorscope

audiophileguy said:
Is LOG's first album worth picking up If i like atpm but not their newest?

Definately. I think how much you hate the new one is in direct relation to how much you'll like the old stuff, which isn't even vaguely similar. And if you like 'New American Gospel', then get the self-titled Burn The Priest disc, from before LOG was LOG. Riff-wise it's probably their best album.

Testament - The Legacy, The New Order, The Ritual, The Gathering, Low
Slayer - Worthless post Seasons in the Abyss
Exodus - I guess Bonded by Blood but are overrated to all hell.
Iced Earth - S/t, Night of the Stormrider, Burnt Offerings, Horror Show
Overkill - Don't know their stuff well enough to pass judgment
LOG is shit

Don't buy any best of albums. They are worthless.

audiophileguy said:
What albums should I get for the following bands.
overkill
exodus
testament
iced earth

any slayer albums worth picking up after seasons?

1. EVERYTHING. I mean this quite literally. But most importantly, start with the first five.
2. Bonded By Blood, Pleasures Of The Flesh (go for the demo with Baloff as well), Fabulous Disaster and Tempo Of The Damned.
3. The Legacy and The New Order.
4. The Enter The Realm demo, self titled, Night Of The Stormrider and Burnt Offerings.
5. First 5 for Slayer as well, + the Haunting The Chapel EP.

There is not a single Overkill album that is not worth buying, and I'm pretty sure that's the ONLY band woth more than five or so albums that I can say that about. Even Priest had Point of Entry and Demolition. So you might as well buy 'em in order, starting with Feel the Fire; if you'd rather just get a good representation, get the Wrecking Everything live album.

Start with Exodus's Bonded By Blood, as it's one of the most important and awesome albums ever. The other ones J-P mentioned are also worth buying, as well as the live album Another Lesson In Violence.

Testament is annoyingly inconsistent, especially considering how incredibly awesome they are when they're good. First Strike Still Deadly, the re-recording of their first two albums, is a good buy, and Low (despite a very different sound) is utterly awesome.

With Iced Earth, you want the first three albums (especially the utterly awesome Burnt Offerings), Days of Purgatory, and the live album (three-disc recommended.) Fuck everything else...maybe Horror Show, but you're better off just downloading it and keeping the worthwhile tracks like "Dracula."

Nothing Slayer did after Seasons is worthwhile.