hex omega

Im the one that slated the song in another thread - "Hex Omega an anti-climax to Watershed?"
I still stand by that opinion - also I cant believe people consider it to be their favourite track from the record - Hessian Peel, The Lotus Eater and Burden all totally blow it away :p

It's really a great song overall however it's not a *leading* song like Heir Apparent or The Lotus Eater if you get what I mean..(Some people may call catchy as a term for that as well :))

Hex Omega is mindblowing, and leaves the listener wanting -but to revisit the earlier parts of the album rather than further music.

And I think that was the point of using the song as the closer. If you put the CD on repeat, the ending of Hex Omega flows very well into the beginning of Coil. A lot of people don't like the song as a closer because it doesn't seem to leave the listener with an explanation point at the end of the sentence, if that makes any sense.

I think that this was intentional, leaving the listener wanting to go back to the beginning of the story and start it all over again. Like you said...it leaves the listener wanting more. Maybe there's something there about the circle of life. After all, the "concept" of Watershed seems to revolve around life and death, gain and loss...and all of it being handed down from parent to child.

Maybe there is even something to be gleamed from the title regarding this. Hex Omega. A cursed ending?

Or maybe I'm just reading far too much into it. But listen to Hex Omega (About the ending of a relationship due to an affair) and then listen to how effortlesly it flows back into Coil (Opening up with "She told me why. She told me lies").

Pure speculation on my part, of course. Just my $0.02.

And I think that was the point of using the song as the closer. If you put the CD on repeat, the ending of Hex Omega flows very well into the beginning of Coil. A lot of people don't like the song as a closer because it doesn't seem to leave the listener with an explanation point at the end of the sentence, if that makes any sense.

I think that this was intentional, leaving the listener wanting to go back to the beginning of the story and start it all over again. Like you said...it leaves the listener wanting more. Maybe there's something there about the circle of life. After all, the "concept" of Watershed seems to revolve around life and death, gain and loss...and all of it being handed down from parent to child.

Maybe there is even something to be gleamed from the title regarding this. Hex Omega. A cursed ending?

Or maybe I'm just reading far too much into it. But listen to Hex Omega (About the ending of a relationship due to an affair) and then listen to how effortlesly it flows back into Coil (Opening up with "She told me why. She told me lies").

Pure speculation on my part, of course. Just my $0.02.

hmmm I like this idea - Ill have to think again about how well the song works - My idea of an album closer has much of the same attributes as an opener - really damn punchy and heavy - Blackwater Park being a prime example :p

I personally don't really care for Hex Omega. I do like Porcelain Heart though, so maybe all my credibility is gone? I guess the part about Porcelain Heart I really like is 2:29 into the song when it has that long, eerie note that sounds like its off rising and falling in the distance. That part blows me away every time.

I love Hex Omega a lot, actually. Very... special, and different. The first riff is very catchy, and the verses bring a strange mood, proper to the whole concept in Watershed (not necesserly talking about a possible story). And I really liked the speculations from Cognitive, it makes sense, but I don't know if it was made to be this way. I suppose that it depends on the way you see it. We sometime think that artists are able to make exagerated things, but they actually just simply write without getting in such details. I don't know if Mikael is lucky or not, but it seems to come out that there's always something extraordinary in what he writes (not including first two albums).