hey joey haters.. see this and Shut the fuck up!!

Check the article on metal sucks - the interviewer hits a lot of nails bang on. Interestingly, he asks about Anthrax being 'fun' again now Joey's back. When many of us on here were young, Anthrax were fast and heavy but always had a real sense of stupid fun about them. Nobody was trying to be looking cool or macho, it was all about being happy and having a laugh. Metallica were the same up to a point. What happened was that when Metallica signed with the Mensch/Burnstein management team they were given a radical image overhaul and told to stop being silly and messing about in order to look 'cool' to bunch of dicks who weren't fans but soon would be hooked in by the moody posing. It worked INSTANTLY. Time for all the bands who were more aligned with the 'fun' punk element to be all macho. It was a shame, that was when we started getting guys trying to act hard in the pit and missing the point entirely... Time to put the fun back and have some awesome gigs.

Listening to Devin Townsend has undoubtedly destroyed your hearing along with your musical taste. I noticed Bush forgot to include Eddie Vedder in his list of 20 most influential singers.

Sometimes I like to put Bananas on my peanut butter sandwich.

Listening to Devin Townsend has undoubtedly destroyed your hearing along with your musical taste. I noticed Bush forgot to include Eddie Vedder in his list of 20 most influential singers.

Here we go again...
If you got no arguments left, because you are completely powned you either say something very gay with at least two of your favorite Bushbla-words in order to provoke everyone who likes John Bush and distract everyone from the fact, that you have lost or you personally insult someone in order to provoke him and distract everyone from the fact, that you have lost.

Well, this isnt fair.

Yes, i already admitted that in my original post ;)

Those glam fags had nothing to do with metal in the first place, hardrock at best. 80's metal is Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica or Anthrax IMO. Oh and no Joey has nothing in common with Vince Neil or Brett Michaels....

Joeys style is definitely more of a Bruce Dickinson / 80s metal approach than a Tom Araya / thrash metal approach. He sings very high and melodically, that's what 80s metal vocals is all about. You can like it or you can hate it, but it's a fact, that he sings high and melodically.

Come on man, agressive, like ANTHRAX ever was an agressive band. Yeah maybe in some way but John Bush is not even close to being as agressive as Slayer, Dark Angel, Sodom or Destruction. There's no need for ANTHRAX to be hyper agressive, they never were and they never will be. It was the mix between heavy riffs and melody that made them stand out, not their "agression"...

I don't say they should take an aggressive direction. Even John Bush was a very melodical singer (he even originally sang in a power metal band) and Dan Nelson always was a bit much to me. BUT i really loved songs like "Fight 'Em", and at this point i really want to hear a decent studio recording of it. Would be a shame to throw those away or to soften them, just because they are more aggressive than Anthrax normally are.

Well I personally cannot stand anything Devin Townsend has ever done but you don't hear me bitching about it on his forum...

Yeah, BECAUSE you never liked anything Townsend has done. But it just happens, that Anthrax did something that people liked and then did something other people liked. It's the whole purpose of a message board for people to post opinions about these kind of things. If only people currently happy about the band would be allowed to post, then there would be no point in posting at all. No one needs a collection of fanboy-praisings.

Joeys style is definitely more of a Bruce Dickinson / 80s metal approach than a Tom Araya / thrash metal approach. He sings very high and melodically, that's what 80s metal vocals is all about. You can like it or you can hate it, but it's a fact, that he sings high and melodically.

This is true, still, indeed as you say, but John Bush has about as much in common with Tom Araya as Joey does. The point I wanted to make was that a lot of people keep saying Joey's style is not "agressive" enough for Anthrax which IMO makes no sense. If you like agressive (thrash) music you better listen to Tom Angelripper, Chuck Billy (ca."Low" era) or Tom Araya.

I listen to Anthrax because I think the older riffs are sheer genius, I love the songs. I love their sense of humor and the fact they were different than most other thrash acts out there at that time. I love the hardcore/punk influences which they incorporated (which made them sound really modern ca. 1985) but still retained melody.

I like Amord Saint BTW, I gave "March of the Saint" another spin this weekend, as well as "Sound Of White Noise". Great records but "Among The Living" and "Spreading The Disease" are just utter classic IMO, I keep getting back at those albums and love everything about them.

I love their sense of humor and the fact they were different than most other thrash acts out there at that time. I love the hardcore/punk influences which they incorporated (which made them sound really modern ca. 1985) but still retained melody.

That's what i always liked about Anthrax until they started treating their singers like shit. That nice funny guys image just doesn't work anymore, everyone knows what they are really like now.

Sorry but that is kind of an elitist thing to say. I don't like his music either but it has nothing to do with my lack of intelligence....
This is true. You were kinda caught in the crossfire of this one.

on another note I still can't wrap my mind around the responses to the criticism for Joey. Anything anyone says that isn't completely in line with the current lead singer is met with pretty much "STFU and GTFO" I don't like Joeys vox but I still love classic Anthrax and I will give the new stuff a chance. I'm not a Claypool fan because he's an amazing singer. It's the music. A few peeps keep saying Bush fans need to move on. Joey is IN the fucking band we got it. We accepted it. YOU move the fuck on.

Yeah, Bush is too monotone for Anthrax. It's like listening to a refrigerator hum over some cool riffs.

If so, why did you used to favor Bush over Bella prior to this re-reunion? Cmon Scott, quit the damage control, already. You're stuck with Scott, but no need to bash the better singer (Bush).

...because Bush was, for the most part, providing the only aggression in Anthrax's music. They used to have aggressive riffs and melodic vox, and then around 1998, they did the 'ol switheroo. It goes without saying that metal is defined by the music, not the vox.

...just listened to Vol. 8 and I think it is still great album. Perhaps I would have left Toast to the Extras, 604 and Cupajoe out of it if I were in charge...but otherwise it is pure aggressive ANTHRAX.

T:)

I should qualify my statement. The guitars generally define the metal genre, but vox aid in the metal subgenre classification. *waits for the Devin fags to say music shouldn't be classified*

What is a Devin Fag? Is that someone who trashes Devin Towsend?

Devin fag (n.) -- A person who feigns self-depreciation to attract attention to oneself and who claims music is boundless to disguise the fact they are an utterly talentless musician or willfully ignorant music enthusiast.

Says the guy with absolutely no musical understanding or skills at all...