Hey Mikael...

Reelo

5°170
May 30, 2008
not-so-black Forest
...recently, I saw a picture of you on stage, showing that you apparently upgraded from the GT-8 to the GT-10 (blue lights and all). Since I (and probably other guitar players here on the forum) own that board too, how about you (or your guitar-tech or whoever sets up your sounds) join in at http://www.bossgtcentral.com and upload some of the patches you use for your live sound? Or at least tell us some of the settings?

I'm sure people would greatly appreciate it! :headbang:

Here's the evidence:

3290208535_b91be3dd9e_o.jpg

I'll second that. (although I'm not chasing after a specific Opethesque sound, I'm currently using the GT10 + Laney amps)

Btw. can anyone give me a hint how to reduce feedback at higher volume apart from the noise gate? Is there a specific place in the FX-Chain where the Noise Surpressor should be?
Btw. I always use the global settings and it's alsways set to maximum +20db (just about enough for rehearsals but i guess it compromises the sound a lot)

Well, i don't think Mikael is that tone-oriented as other geargeeks in the music business.
I highly doubt Mike has the time to post patches over the internet, if he doesn't, it would be nice of him if he would share his treble/mids/bass settings only. ;)

Btw. can anyone give me a hint how to reduce feedback at higher volume apart from the noise gate? Is there a specific place in the FX-Chain where the Noise Surpressor should be?
Btw. I always use the global settings and it's alsways set to maximum +20db (just about enough for rehearsals but i guess it compromises the sound a lot)

Place the Noisegate after effects, but BEFORE Delay and Reverb. That way, when the gate closes, you still get Delay-repeats and Reverb decay to sound naturally. Also, what i do is, place the Noisegate where I just told you to, but in its Settings, I make it detect Volume Level at Input, so it closes immediately when I mute the strings, not when the remaining sound has passed the FX up to the Noisegate, and you prevent FX from keeping the gate open...
I often use the 2 Noisegates in different places of the Chain, but both set to detect at Input.

For a great GT-10 guide (actually, it's GT-8, but most of it also applies to the 10) check out: Boss GT-8 Brilliance.pdf (There's a download option on that page for the pdf)

To GT-10 users:

How good is the board? I know I have to check it for myself, but would just like to hear what you think.

It kills! Seriously, I never bothered buying a Pedalboard before, I was more of a Stomp-box fan, but this baby just got it all. Some say the POD units are better for studio and homerecording, but I've yet to find something the GT-10 can't do, besides obvious stuff like polyphonal synthesizing.

Some ppl also clame that high-gain sounds either have "Fizz" (a word to describe the brittly sound you get from CPU amp-modelling) or a cocked-Wah sound (a nasal sound you get from leaving a wah on) but both of these problems are easily solved via the several EQ functions.

What's important is, that you shouldn't expect the amp-models like Rectifier or other high-gain amps to sound like real tubes crancked-up to the max. Instead of using just an amp-model with full amp-distortion, you get a much better result if you put the amp-model's distortion to a more modest level, but put a distortion (also out of the board) in front of it. The resulting distortion will sound much better.

But anyway, as far as FX and overall versatility go, there's nothing the GT-10 can't do. But 2 seperate channels, 2 FX blocks with over 30 FX each, 8 Assign-parameters, global settings, 2 Ctl pedals and a dual-function Exp-pedal are easy to learn but hard to master.

But the board has a sheer endless potential for creative and fun sounds.

I'll happily provide more info, but I don't have my board here with me, so I cannot double-check things...

:D It would be great but you do need to toy around with the unit a minute to learn the settings

Maybe I'll just bring a laptop to the show and secretly plug a USB cable to the device without Mikael noticing.

:D It would be great but you do need to toy around with the unit a minute to learn the settings

Maybe I'll just bring a laptop to the show and secretly plug a USB cable to the device without Mikael noticing.

Yeah, you'd need the GT-10 drivers as well as the Librarian installed, you could just do a "dump all" and get his settings, hehehe...