Hey my first thread! What's new gear wise?

WiscoKid

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Yup, had a few more coffees than usual this morning, and my session is going great! While we send someone to the store for bass strings... I have a few minutes off and I find myself wondering what's new gear wise with everyone? Guitars, amps, microphones, etc. What's the new trend, or anti trend? I'm always trying to listen and see what everyone's using, or what new techniques or sounds are out there. Vito just recently got some new guitar gear which sounds AMAZING (well once he dumps that behringer fart box cabinet) ...I'm getting some new stuff including a Framus Cobra and a new guitar with a floating bridge and whammy bar (sold my V with the Kahler, didn't sound good anyway) We recently did the These Are They session with Steve's Marshall, which I was pleasantly surprised with the cool tone. After last week's disastrous sound at the acoustic performance, I find myself obsessing over all issues sound related. :)

I've been curious about these imaging pedals that Fishman are producing- http://www.fishman.com/aura/default.asp

The goal with these is to give your acoustic guitar a better live sound when using a pickup, supposedly emulates more of a "mic'ed in the studio" sound. I was at an acoustic gig locally a few weeks back and noticed that the guitarist had some kind of pedal which I think might've been one of these. I never got the chance to talk to the guy, unfortunately. But I will say that his guitar sounded particularly good, and he was just playing through your standard small bar p.a. I'm not a big fan of the way acoustics sound when just using a soundhole pickup into a d.i. box and that's it.

Yeah I'm really happy with that 6505 head.

My next purchases are going to include an ampeg SVT4-Pro bass head, a new guitar cabinet, an ESP 6 string bass, and studio monitors. Chris what do you recommend for home studio monitors? I don't want to spend more than like $300, but I'd like something with decent quality.

A six-string bass???????
I used to have a 5-String Ibanez Soundgear.
The neck was WAY too thick for me.

Have you guys ever heard of a Guitar Company called TUNE (or it might be TONE, can't recall exactly). I have only seen them carried at SAM ASH. Anyhow, they had a killer 5-string bass, where the neck was the size of a 4-string. Allowed for great flexibility.

Is there a Hiwatt dealer in Chicago? I've been quite interested in these amps lately and would like to try out their high gain and custom models. I've also been impressed with Randall. Eviga from Dornenreich let me use his on the March tour and I was blown away every night by it's presence and power. Especially considering it was just powering my Tonelab through it's clean channel. For Dornenreich Eviga just plugged straight into it without any distortion pedals or anything. That amp roared!

For guitars I always recommend Godin, though lately I've been on an aluminum neck kick. I bought a Travis Bean a couple months ago. I've wanted one for years but until recently could never afford the rediculous prices they go for. Man...that is by far the most amazing instrument I've ever put my hands on. The clarity and sustain is unreal. It will likely be used primarily as a studio guitar though I'll probably take it out for some special gigs. I'd like to order a totally custom EGC or Bastin just to have another aluminum neck machine in my arsenal.

For pedals I have been pretty impressed with Red Witch, particularly the Empress and Pentavocal...

JH

I've been curious about these imaging pedals that Fishman are producing- http://www.fishman.com/aura/default.asp

The goal with these is to give your acoustic guitar a better live sound when using a pickup, supposedly emulates more of a "mic'ed in the studio" sound. I was at an acoustic gig locally a few weeks back and noticed that the guitarist had some kind of pedal which I think might've been one of these. I never got the chance to talk to the guy, unfortunately. But I will say that his guitar sounded particularly good, and he was just playing through your standard small bar p.a. I'm not a big fan of the way acoustics sound when just using a soundhole pickup into a d.i. box and that's it.
I'm actually in the process of getting a pickup put in my Taylor 310, so I researched a bit on acoustic guitar pickups. While I've not gotten to actually hear one installed, the K&K Pure Wesern mini pickups are reviewed quite well as having really solid, natural sound. When it's finished (it requires actually gluing the pickups to the sound board, so I'm hesitant about doing it myself), I'll let you know how it sounds- their site has clips. They've got a really low profile- no soundhole piece (though you can get a vol control that mounts in the soundhole), and the plugin replaces the std strap lock.

http://www.kksound.com/puremini.html

Other than that, the only thing I've bought recently was an old Yamaha Classical guitar off Craigslist for $40. Cleaned it up, sounds decent- might give it to someone looking to learn.

$300 for monitors can be tough ... I'd say go down and listen to a few at a store with some music you are familiar with. Get something basically flat, but detailed and musical. A good, clean power amp is also essential. But almost MOST important, would be make sure wherever you are set up that the room sounds good and focused. A bad sounding room can negate the quality of $5000 speakers.

As far as acoustics go, I have been AMAZED at how much difference a set of strings can change the tone. I usually use elixers, but I hear there is a new string type that lasts like elixers, but has a warmer mellower tone. Anyone know what these are? I just did an acoustic concert in a theater setting, and we had 6 acoustics, all using different pickups and electronics. I think in the end I preferred each guitar for a different sound and song, I don't really think there is a magic bullet acoustic approach. It was great to hear the tonal changes from song to song.

I just did some tracks with a Mega-Vibe, and I was in Robin Trower Jimi Hendrix HEAVEN. It sounded arguably BETTER than a univox and a HELL of a lot cheaper hahaha under $300

i dont know about those new elixir-like strings chris, but if you find out please let me know :) i don't care that much about the longer-lasting thing, but they just feel so smooth and i love that about them :)

Hey Chrisco, I happen to wander in and see it's your first post:lol:

I'm laying a last minute Bongo track for tomorrows fun.

I know your a busy dude but check your mail I sent you an MP3.

Hey I'm also interested in knowing what mics would be worth a gander, so far I've been using the Bluebird (Killer mic for the price) which I like better than the AKG but I'm looking for something with a different color without the high price.

Hey, sorry I missed out on Saturdays PF sets lots of family stuff hit the fan.

Glad you were lucky enough to miss ours, a fuster cluck. I had people complaining all night that they missed us or the show was to short one guy came all the from Detroit and has hasn't talked to me since, not my bloody fault.

See you soon and hail to the the rest of ND.

I only use Elixir strings for acoustic now, and lean toward a fairly thick/heavy gauge. I've tried both the Nano and Polyweb, and prefer the originals (the Polyweb, I think). I think a lot of companies make the poly-coated strings now, following Elixir's model- the poly coating tends to make them last longer, preventing corrosion.

Mics- obviously Chris will know a ton about this, but I really like the Studio Projects B1 I got a couple years ago. It's a large diaphragm condenser mic, has a really solid, crisp presence for voice and acoustic, and was only about $100. I used it as the main mic for voice and guitar on this stuff.

Hmm vocal mics... I have used U87's, 414's, C12's ... all types of large diaphragm condensers (wishhhhhh I had a U47) as well as some other stuff like a AT4050, and aShure SM7A, which is basically a dynamic broadcast mic that's all the rage right now (to me it sounds like a super beefed up 58) and my Royer R121 ribbon. The Shure is great for when articulation isn't so much what you're going for, but more the aggressiveness and crunch and you can basically eat the thing. The ribbon I don't think I'd use on any type of metal project, but it sounds amazing on smooth baritone and soprano vocals over piano and acoustic pieces. The SM7A is also now the SM7B, which I think is about $400 or so. Those condensers range from $400-500 up to over $3000. $100 Mics usually disappoint me .. but not always. Use your ears and experiment if you have the chance! If it sounds good, it IS good!

I vote this the BEST thread ever!

Still trying to find a half-stack that can beat the tone my puny Spider III 75 watt can produce, everything has failed thus far. I want an amp that growls like a demon (for death metal.) It MUST have the kind of distortion that packs punch (not crunch) but also sounds like a chainsaw at the same time. My amp is the closest thing to that desire that I've played.

Bloodbath's guitar sound on their new album is a good example, but they use marshalls and I hate them because you NEED effects and pedals to make sweet distortion. They achieved theirs by combing the built in marshall distortion with the Boss Heavy Metal 2 pedal, and trying to track down a working one is difficult since they're not produced anymore.

Hi everyone!

You should try out the Marshall 2203KK, i bought it 2 months ago and it still is an ass-kicker, more gain and especially more punch / balls than the other Marshalls. I also use an HM-2 in combination with this amp (also playing it directly into the computer), this pedal is the greatest thing on earth, I was very lucky getting one from ebay for ~50€ without a single scratch (wtf?).
Also, it would be interesting to know what the Novembers guys used on the new record, the sound is really fat (good job Dan & Co :D).

haha Props to Dan for the mix of course, but the guitar sound is largely due to the Mesa amp I scored for the session. I had to bargain and wheel and deal to get the guys to use it, but I think after we had some tracks down we all agreed it was crushing. Thanks to Dave Matrise from Jungle Rot for use of the head (we used it on their album as well). Its an old Mesa DC10 with amazing tubes in it. It sounds like a slab of meat Rocky could slug, especially sitting right in front of the amp. No trickery, it just sounded like that right in front of me! And the cab and mic placement, well thats a WHOLE other story.

they use marshalls and I hate them because you NEED effects and pedals to make sweet distortion.

If you need to use a pedal to achieve distortion on a Marshall head, then you don't know how to dial in a tone on a Marshall! Steve, the original ND guitarist, and now my partner in crime in These Are They have ALWAYS used Marshall's and not once has he ever used a pedal of any kind. The JCM 800 provided a KILLER distorted tone, and now he's using the Marshall JVM410H with NO pedal, and I promise you, it will crush any pedal on the floor in tone and distortion.

THE MACHINE!!!!

MyMarshall.jpg

Photo by Paul Kuhr

JCM800's ruled the 80's and 90's ... although some sort of boost was usually required, whether a tube screamer or a FET booster or EQ. But the thing is, THAT's what made such a cool variety of tones... unlike today's plug n play hi gain amps where any kid can crank the gain to infinity and everything sounds the same. In the end you still gotta be able to know how to dial it in. Then again, there is an ENDLESS parade of $2000 guitar heads being used by guys who STILL can't get them to sound good. My old JCM800 and 50 watt JMP will still lay waste to most anything out there.

always found the marshall tone to be a little mushy and bass heavy. Wonderful clean sound though, warmth like no other. The ENGL powerball is my dream amp, or a Diezel. im happy with my laney though, great overdrive sound and so cheap for what they are.