Hi, I'm new, question regarding recording computer, and internet...

Radd said:
Thanks for the info James, I'll keep this stuff in mind.
I've just been playing around with DP and the m-audio drivers some more and to my amazement DP is'nt quitting. I don't know if I reinstalled the driver after maxing my ram or not or if it would even matter. I did just run disk utility again although it did'nt help before. I'm getting signals through the analog connection but now nothing through s/pdif which is the way I've been trying to go the whole time.
A week ago Dp would only quit when the m-audio driver was set to s/pdif as opposed to internal crystal. Now it does'nt matter and DP does'nt quit but no signal/monitor level reading for s/pdif, only analog.
This can get sooo confusing and frustrating.
i've never used any M-Audio gear with DP.. only MOTU stuff, and it works right out of the box.. plug and play. at verious times, especially after OS updates, you may have to update your i/o's firewire and/or pci drivers, and the same is true with MOTU hardware, digi hardware, or any other manufacturer's hardware. it's not hard at all... it's just new to you. Once you have gotten past the learning curve it will make you laugh how truly simple it is.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a combination of the m-audio driver and the OS updates but with the MKIII on the way I'm hoping things will go alot smoother
for me.

So guys, I came across this G5 right here and was wondering what you guys thought of it. The dual 2.7 looks good, as well as the free RAM, but I thought the graphics card might be the weak link. Are they easy to replace?? Also this website doesn't give detail as to which OS the system comes with, I guess I'll have to email them.

-Joe

I dont know macs.. so i can't help there.. however, getting a decent video card is something one might think is not needed for music.. all i can say is, get a good one..!

You really dont want to have a slow card when it comes to dragging and dropping stuff in your host.. or other programs.. it's very neccesary to get a decent card.. not top of the line, but not down there as well.. just... decent.. :)

J.DavisNJ said:
So guys, I came across this G5 right here and was wondering what you guys thought of it. The dual 2.7 looks good, as well as the free RAM, but I thought the graphics card might be the weak link. Are they easy to replace?? Also this website doesn't give detail as to which OS the system comes with, I guess I'll have to email them.

-Joe
Umm, my newbieness would have me guessing that this mac would be a fine
choice and should'nt leave you running into any problems and the video card
is not what you would want to use anyway. Like Black neon bob said, a descent sound card is what you'll want to add to the system.
Depending on the size of your projects, you may need more ram, but probably not, I don't know.
Damn, that's expensive though. You can get a used G4 with the specs you need from ebay for half that. Don't know if that's a route you would want to go though. I paid 1300.00 for my dual 1.0 ghz 120 gb HD (60/60).
That leaves you plenty of cash left to get mic pre, soundcard, software or whatever. Soundcards are easy to install, just slap it into an available pci slot.

Hey, uh, I am enjoying my new iMac and Logic Express right now, and I have three questions:

Can someone recommend break down the differences in toslink cable, like are the plastic ones of noticeably worse sound?
Will a toslink to mini optical adapter degrade the transfer quality?
My monitors only have the RCA-like digital outs, so I only need one toslink cable, right?

J.DavisNJ said:

-Joe
Looks like for $300.00 more you can get the quad dual 2.5.:Spin: They have PCI-Express slots though.
Anything in a Mac is easy to replace. I've replaced to upgrade-motherboards/ memory sticks/ hard drives/ dvd-roms/ graphic cards just by reading the manual.:)
I have heard the quads run at 400 watts! The dual 2.7's are just overclocked dual 2.5's. Honestly a dual 2.0 will be fine for serious native D.A.W. work. Just max the ram. That dualie 2.7 your looking at is cool and the graphics card will be fine.

I use a stock dual 2.0Ghz G5/ PCI slots with 2.5gigs of ram- dual 17" L.C.D.'s. A lot of hard drives (two internal/ now six F.W. plus F.W. C.D. burner) and do Final Cut Pro H.D. & H.D. D.V.D. and 3D work all the time, along with audio projects and it runs great! Brand new G5's will come with Tiger. Also check the PCI slots!!! Now the older ones have PCI // new ones ; 2.5 and 2.7 PCI-X // and brand new ones PCI-Express.

Genius Gone Insane said:
Uh, how would 3rd party RAM differ from regular ram? Is the same true with PCs?
the same as how anything manufactured by one company can differ from the "same thing" msnufactured by another.... silly question :p, obvious answer: different quality standards and components. Samsung manufactures Apples RAM for them... very specific to Apples specs, and i've never had a problem with the Samsung RAM i've purchesed from an Apple store. Cant' say the same for the RAM i've bought from third party manufacutrers both at stores and over the web.