Hi, I'm new, question regarding recording computer, and internet...

James Murphy said:
stringy... given your budget contstraints and the fact that you don't need many tracks at tall, the mc mini should be fine... get the top model and max it out... and get an external FW drive to record your projects to.. this is important. for you rneeds, as you stated them, the mini with the external drive will do fine.. and is much more affordable than the powerbook option.

I agree, just wanted to give an overall perspective of the line. Mini should be the way to go!

What do you dudes think of Logic Express?? I'm considering what software to buy for the G5...Yeah I chose to go Mac (you guys are convincing) and can get it sooner than I though. Again I'm still going to be learning, so I don't think Logic Pro is necessary right now. Not to mention the learning curve of switching to Mac after using PC for years. Also, a dumb question, but, I use a router with my computer and my rents downstairs. Can I still use Optimum Online cable with the same router and have us both online at the same time?? Thanks.

-Joe

Logic Express is fine for starting out. There's also an upgrade path to the Pro version if you feel you'd like to have the extra features - there are lots of them.

Personally I don't use Logic for audio work, only songwriting and midi work. I do use audio files in there but I don't actually record into it per se. I have heard that the audio engine is quite possibly inferior to that of Cubase. For midi work though it's fantastic, and the softsynths are incredible writing tools. For audio work, I'd definitely recommend whatever flavour of Pro Tools you're able to afford - there are several that can fit most budgets.

Neil K.

Pro Tools LE systems are too limiting for my money. go for Mark Of The Unicorn's Digital Performer... execellent value for the money, very much like Pro Tools, very easy to exchange files between PT and DP and vice versa, and it's excellent for both audio and midi. i've produced several full length album recordings with a DP system.. the latest one with a G5 (which will receive a label release early next year).. it's hassle free and feature packed.... and no lame 32 track limit, like a PT LE system.

J.DavisNJ,
I don't know if this will help but it's at least some more info.
I've been building my first DAW and trying to take my time with it.
I made the switch to a mac, G4 quicksilver 2002 dual. There were a few things I had to learn differently and a few things I did'nt like about it but I quickly got past them and am very pleased with my switch to a mac.

I bought Digital Performer 4.5, (thanks to James) updated to 4.6 and the audiophile 2496 card. Dp's audio engine always quits within a minute after start up. I bought more RAM and maxed it to 1.5 gb and it still quits. I believe it is the m-audio driver that is causing the problem but then again as my sig states, "I don't know what the hell I'm doing". I decided to to get the motu mkIII (thanks to James again). Got a killer deal too, $560.00 from ebay. It's
supposed to arrive on wedsday so I'll see how that goes.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Cool dudes. Would I have to use a MOTU interface with the software?? Or is it still compatible with the Presonus Firebox/Firepod?? Thanks!!

-Joe

Also, the Mac I'm looking at is the 2.2 or 2.4 dual core processor, 1GB of RAM (I'll add more myself), does that seem like a good fast machine??

-Joe

James Murphy said:
and no lame 32 track limit, like a PT LE system.

Damn..forgot about that part. Good point. I got rid of my LE system when it had a 24 track limit..shows how times change doesn't it?

Neil K.

J.DavisNJ said:
Also, the Mac I'm looking at is the 2.2 or 2.4 dual core processor, 1GB of RAM (I'll add more myself), does that seem like a good fast machine??

-Joe

You might want to look a little bit closer than that, because they don't make either of the two models you mention. They do make either a dual core 2.0, dual core 2.3 or DUAL dual core 2.5 as of now however..

Add lots of ram as well - as much as you can afford.

Neil K.

I read 3 posts. I have assessed the situation, and come to a conclusion.

Jame Smurphy is an Apple Addict, and should be the right hand man of Steve Jobs.

J.DavisNJ said:
Cool dudes. Would I have to use a MOTU interface with the software?? Or is it still compatible with the Presonus Firebox/Firepod?? Thanks!!

-Joe

From what I understand DP is compatable with any interface, not just motu.
But from my one experience I would say that you never really know for sure until you try. I went for the motu interface to play it safe. (fingers crossed)

JDavisNJ..... get what you can afford Bro.
This thread could go on for months and you'll get so many suggestions...and still not have a D.A.W.!!!!

Logic is cool. I use Logic Pro 7.1.1 on a G5 dual 2 gig maxed ram and 8 total hard drives. I moved from P.T.L.E. because of the toruniquet Digi puts on 'LE'. I'll get P.T.L.E. again because for audio (editing) Pro Tools can't be beat!! HD or LE. Sure there's a 32 audio track limit on the 'LE' version. But there's ways around it. I've brought 48 Reason tracks into a P.T.L.E. rig many times... Sure it was cranked down into 3 stereo tracks, but it started at 48:loco: Aux. tracks mania buddy!!!!
For Audio PRO TOOLS ROCKS! Why do you think all the big boys use it! HD and LE are the same engine, Digi just does not give LE everything the HD has or guess what...No one would buy their HD rigs! With computers moving at hyper speeds now...Sheesh just four/five years ago my G4/400 was the shit!!! Now it is shit! Guess what, these G5 dual 2.5Ghz will be the same in about four to five years!!! If it's sample libraries and midi you do- Go Logic Pro! It's top shelf! If you will do lots of audio and very little midi-go P.T.L.E.
Cubase, Nuendo and YES Digital Performer Rock too! Totally up to the buyer.
(((Settle down James:wave: D.P. does Rock.))) But James uses Pro Tools too!!!!!! Yep, he does. I know!:D
If you plan on doing it all....tracking/mixing/post processing/ uh urm,...mastering in your home. Just pick which one you like best. If you plan on taking your sessions to a big house for final mix downs and things like that, find a big house, see what they use. And get it (or it's smaller version-hint 'LE') and a good sized F.W. hard drive. Then you can do ALL your stuff at home-disconnect the hard drive and send it/ or take it to the bigger facility-connect it up and continue till your done!

Good luck man. You are at step one!!! Step two is picking the interface, and I think step 3-buying extras.......never ends:D (mics/ mic pres/ plug-ins...ect) and if you have a Wife or Girlfriend.....Whoa.... GOOD LUCK explaning step 3 over and over and over and over again:dopey: !!!!!

EtherForBreakfast said:
I read 3 posts. I have assessed the situation, and come to a conclusion.

Jame Smurphy is an Apple Addict, and should be the right hand man of Steve Jobs.
wtf?

Radd said:
J.DavisNJ,
I don't know if this will help but it's at least some more info.
I've been building my first DAW and trying to take my time with it.
I made the switch to a mac, G4 quicksilver 2002 dual. There were a few things I had to learn differently and a few things I did'nt like about it but I quickly got past them and am very pleased with my switch to a mac.

I bought Digital Performer 4.5, (thanks to James) updated to 4.6 and the audiophile 2496 card. Dp's audio engine always quits within a minute after start up. I bought more RAM and maxed it to 1.5 gb and it still quits. I believe it is the m-audio driver that is causing the problem but then again as my sig states, "I don't know what the hell I'm doing". I decided to to get the motu mkIII (thanks to James again). Got a killer deal too, $560.00 from ebay. It's
supposed to arrive on wedsday so I'll see how that goes.

Just thought I'd share. :)
the only time DP's audio engine ever quit on me is when i used to try and run too many tracks and plug-ins with a really low buffer setting.... which i quickly learned not to do since that will cause a problem with any DAW that utilizes host-based processing. if yours is crashing on start-up, then something is definitely wrong with your system. (always the potential danger of buying a used system, no matter the platform... you just don't know what someone may have done to it)... i suggest running disk utility and if that doesn't work, doing a clean install of the OS, add on only what you need to run DP, then start adding other things one at a time and checking for the problem after each install... if it returns after a particular install, then whatever that software is that you installed immediatlely before the problem returned is likely the culprit.

having said all that, i've not had any software conflicts in a looooong time... they can sometimes occur if you update OSX and not some applications (programs, in mac-speak) that need to be updated as well to work right with the new version of OSX, or vice versa. In fact, DP 4.6 definitely needs Tiger, OSX 10.4.x, to run properly. I suggest bringing your Mac up to 10.4.3 right away if you haven't already.

so Radd, your problem is undboubtedly a very simple one to sort out.. familiarity with OSX help you to avoid pretty much any and all such headache.

btw, i've had a lot of grief with third-party vendor RAM in my macs... just get it from the apple store... once i started doing that (the G4 ddr sdram is cheap enough now) it was all clear sailing.

Thanks for the info James, I'll keep this stuff in mind.
I've just been playing around with DP and the m-audio drivers some more and to my amazement DP is'nt quitting. I don't know if I reinstalled the driver after maxing my ram or not or if it would even matter. I did just run disk utility again although it did'nt help before. I'm getting signals through the analog connection but now nothing through s/pdif which is the way I've been trying to go the whole time.
A week ago Dp would only quit when the m-audio driver was set to s/pdif as opposed to internal crystal. Now it does'nt matter and DP does'nt quit but no signal/monitor level reading for s/pdif, only analog.
This can get sooo confusing and frustrating.