Tool- Lateralus
Trivium- Ascendancy

excluding opeth

the mars volta - frances the mute and deloused
steve reich - you are (variations)
sasha - airdrawndagger
camel - snowgoose and mirage
miles davis - kind of blue and bitches brew

and damn...fucking nintendo and NES games have amazing music. the theme to doctor mario on tetris 2 is fucking sweet. uhhh, the legend of tom sawyer has amazing music. this music is like nothing i have ever heard. i need to find a site and download a bunch of this stuff. i know of a few bands who do metal/rock covers of these games, which is sweet.

Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
Childish track names and vocals, but the riffing and effective (over?)use of keys can be pretty sweet.. best track is probably Bodom Beach Terror.

Lordi - The Monsterican Dream
A modern band bringing back 1970s/80s cheese but doing it with a real fresh sound, this is just an enjoyable record.. nothing groundbreaking but its easy harmless metal which makes me smile.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Didnt really like this album on first listen, but after owning it for a week or so I became obsessed. What can I say except really good music.. but I guess everyone here will have heard this already.

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Rising Force
Before he became a bigheaded guy who rehashes his own music, this guy was close to genious with this release imo, the mix of classical with rock/metal is obvious but theres also random bits of swedish folk ('sounds of the swedish forest' as Mikael has put it once!) here and there, its mostly instrumental which is good for me, maybe not everyone elses cup of tea though. For me this album is his best because its about music and not how many hyper speed arpeggios he can fit into 3 minutes.

Swallow The Sun - Ghosts of Loss
Atmospheric doom metal at its best, some people say their first album is better but personally I prefer this effort. The track Fragile is so good that I've actually yet to get sick of it at all despite playing at at least twice every day!

Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Very experimental album.. but I really don't like anything by Incubus after this album. It has an ongoing theme throughout and plays around with so many different music styles it's definately worth looking into I think. Best track here is probably New Skin.. but its kinda mainstreamy.. but still worth a look into if you're after something unusual with a modern feel to it.

System of a Down - Mesmerize/Hypnotize
Yeh so I gather not many people here are fans of this band or if they are they dont seem to like these albums. But for me it's very different from their first 2 outputs (I think thats obvious really) which were decent metal albums but too Nu-metally at times which I can only take in small doses. These 2 albums particularly the latter are very focussed and concentrate on the 'angry and desperate' side of the band's MO.

In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape
This is the first album I heard by these guy's and I still prefer it to anything else Ive heard by them (but I am yet to listen to their brand new album so that may change!) This album just has a good feel to it, can't really explain where I coming from here but while listening I just feel like I'm listening to good solid metal - playing it safe maybe but hey thats fine with me sometimes :)

Added some more:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Everything about this album is beautiful, not merely because it sounds so raw and awesome.. but because Black Sabbath were pretty much the first guy's to do what they did. It feels inspirational and it's kinda like listening into the history and the idea behind the genre of music I like the most. Most people think their later releases are alot better but this has always been my favourite sabbath album.

Judas Priest - Painkiller
After holding themselves back for so long and having loads of trouble with courtcases etc, it must have been awesome for Priest to come out with such a huge album. So not every track is as great as stuff on their other albums... but this album makes a big statement and imo the title track alone is enough to make anyone buy the whole thing.

And some guy already mentioned it - all credit too him cos I forgot how much I fucking love this album:

Rush - 2112

Awesome concept, awesome music, Tears is SO good lol. Don't need to say much more this album is just amazing.

I also however think that Still Life by Opeth is better than anything above and any album I've ever heard :D

daz436 said:
I brought it up because they piss me off enough for me to want to mention it, the same as every other band that begins with 'The' and ends in the letter 'S'. Help yourself looking them up I got bored when I hit 30.

I think they were one of the first. I dont like them either, but get over it. I dont like Pink Floyd either, but you dont see me making a big deal about it. Even if someone posted it I wouldnt care. PT is better imo.

This thread is turning into yet another "my favorite bands" thread. Its fucking gay. Lock it.

edit: OMG I HATE Incubus (pre Make Yourself and post Morning View) and System of a Down. So many people like them and I just hate them. So overrated. I hate shitty bands and how popular they get. Dammit MTV!!!!11111

Why be sarcastic? I don't mind people not liking my music lol I'm used to it.. I don't know anyone that shares my music taste. Last time i checked this was a forum about Opeth anyways, so if people are gonna be discussing other music then why shouldnt we be 'allowed' to share opinions about it?

daz436 said:
Why be sarcastic? I don't mind people not liking my music lol I'm used to it.. I don't know anyone that shares my music taste. Last time i checked this was a forum about Opeth anyways, so if people are gonna be discussing other music then why shouldnt we be 'allowed' to share opinions about it?

Did I ask in the thread header for idiots to single out a band and say how much they dislike them? No, I believe I did not!
Its a waste of everyone's time because the purpose of this thread is for people to get new bands to check out, not whine like pre-schoolers about a band like the beatles or whatever just because they happen to be popular or not to their liking etc.. grow up!

And yes this is an Opeth forum and thats why I posted it here bacause people who come here obviously share atleast one band in common with my taste.

so the point of this thread was for everybody to post a whole bunch of albums and not talk about them?

dunno bout you, but i spent a good amount of time making my post and hope at least 1 person likes 1 recommendation, then it'd be worth my time.

i am also reading all the others.

CAIRATH said:
Is there really a point to this if you're not going to say something about what the albums sound like and why you like them? Just a bunch of names posted by someone I don't know at all isn't really much of a drive for me to start checking out those bands. But maybe that's just me...

yea good idea dude, If everyone could try to do that whenever possible, that would be cool. I should have really done it myself. I will edit my post.

Kenneth R. said:
dunno bout you, but i spent a good amount of time making my post and hope at least 1 person likes 1 recommendation, then it'd be worth my time.

i am also reading all the others.

i'm actually taking note of the stuff i havnt heard of and will take a listen.. but its a waste of time cos if i have an opinion on it this Benighted1 guy might disapprove and start moaning again.

daz436 said:
i'm actually taking note of the stuff i havnt heard of and will take a listen.. but its a waste of time cos if i have an opinion on it this Benighted1 guy might disapprove and start moaning again.

Of course you can have an opinion, but it should be constructive and not just some childish bullshit about not liking a band just because their name starts with "the" and ends in "s". Which funnily enough, is what you were saying.

Kenneth R. said:
:lol: i'm sure a lot of people will hate my 5 picks, but whatever :tickled:

Im gona try and check out everyones suggestions I havnt heard. By the end of the thread, I hope to be able to hit the print button, then rock into my local music store with this thread and listen to as much suggestions as possible.

Bard In The Forest said:
I love how people post nu-metal and metalcore albums in a fucking thread for 10/10 albums... Not generic garbage.
Did anyone even bother to check the albums I listed? Blegh, I forgot why I hate forums so much, now I remember.

your picks look really intriguing actually. I will definatley be checking them out!
I really enjoyed Blood Fire Death & hammerheart, but I've heard people say Nordland isn't that good so its refreshing to hear a different point of view.