History or mythology?

puje

Mar 16, 2011
Denmark
Regarding vikings, what do you think is more interesting, their history or their religion/mythology?

Personally I am much more interessed in history, and I wish AA would do more songs about actual historical events.

I don't think one can really understand religion or mythology if not putting the latter in historical perspective and vice versa. My personal view is that historical salience is an overarching pillar to the understanding of other variables, at least in purely empirical terms.

Oh the history, if only because the mythology isn't as well documented. There is also the sagas which is part of their literary history, and helps to flesh out their world views even farther. It's an amazing culture and i'm glad i'm a part of it.

Of interesting note i've found is people say there isn't much evidence for Freyja worship, and yet there's an entire poem in the poetic edda about Freyja trying to help one of her worshipers out. That would be proof of a Freyja cult no?

Of interesting note i've found is people say there isn't much evidence for Freyja worship, and yet there's an entire poem in the poetic edda about Freyja trying to help one of her worshipers out. That would be proof of a Freyja cult no?

??? But there are even places of worship for Freyja, or not? And even the lime-tree was worshiped, because it was associated with/dedicated to her.

no...mention in the Eddas or Sagas does not automatically equate to proof, for that you would need to turn to place names and archeology.

Even with place names though it can be a tenuous link, best bet for information on who was possibly worshipped and where is secondary sources. Try looking to see what Simek has to say as well as Jón Hnefill Aðalsteinsson and a few others.

So I was reading game of thrones (surprisingly good writing) and couldn't help but notice that their old gods are worshiped at a type of tree that grows pale white with faces on it. Got me to thinking about the Donar oak, and perhaps that supposed temple at Upsala was maybe a forest or something else of a natural type, instead of a "temple" as we know it? With the modern world and the influence of Christianity in everything, it is possible that we are looking for something through the wrong lens.

Course it's hard to say with the lack of things out there. >.> And the idiots. Had a woman tell me I had no idea what I was talking about when I said that vikings are actually pirates, and decided to correct me by telling me Vikings are farmers. I told her the Norse were farmers, and the Vikings raiding pirates but apparently that meant I only watch history channel. >.> And while she technically isn't wrong... still burned my ass.

Got me to thinking about the Donar oak, and perhaps that supposed temple at Upsala was maybe a forest or something else of a natural type, instead of a "temple" as we know it? With the modern world and the influence of Christianity in everything, it is possible that we are looking for something through the wrong lens.

I have the paper somewhere but there are those who believe Uppsala was not actually a temple at all but instead a very large homestead where these rituals took place, similar to the one found at Hofstaðir, see if you can get the "Bloody Slaughter: Ritual Decapitation and Display At the Viking Settlement of Hofstaðir, Iceland" paper. I have it but do not know how or if it can be attached here.

If you are going to use any lens to look at what we have it must be looked through their lens, not ours. In order to understand their world we must first understand their worldview and look at it through that lens and not a modern one.

Course it's hard to say with the lack of things out there. >.> And the idiots. Had a woman tell me I had no idea what I was talking about when I said that vikings are actually pirates, and decided to correct me by telling me Vikings are farmers. I told her the Norse were farmers, and the Vikings raiding pirates but apparently that meant I only watch history channel. >.> And while she technically isn't wrong... still burned my ass.

sounds to me like it was she who did not know what she was talking about.

That's interesting. Truely spoken I also thought that they were farmers. At least some of them. But I also thought that they were pirates, shipbuilders, tradesmen, craftsmen and so on.
And I always thought that every Viking was a Norseman but not every Norseman a Viking.
I know my knowledge is superficial though.

Brisantni, i'm speaking specifically about vikings as vikings. Yeah they were all those things before the raiding, but DURING it really boils down to piracy. Unless you are looking at conquest armies like the ones that took a pretty sizable chunk of England.

I like this site for it's knowledgeable folk like Sleipnir up there.

Edit: Found the article, and i have it book marked for when i have more time. Thanks again, I always love to read more history.

On a side note, I recommend the book "The Norsemen in the Viking Age"

Yeah that probably sounded hostile. I apologize. >.>;; need to dull the knife in my voice. But yeah that's essentially it. In that book I mentioned, the entire intro is basically dedicated to why he will NOT call the Norse people vikings. Is a seriously informative read, but be warned, it's a bit on the dry side.

Oh no, no, don't worry! No problem, no cuts. Kind of you though!
The book, well, nearly 400 pages, unfortunately there isn't a translation. Guess I would spend a lot of time on it. No time at the moment, but I will remember it, thanks.

Translated into German it would be less exhausting for me and a faster reading. :)
Anyway, I've read the reviews on Amazon and yes, quite an alluring book indeed.

Ah suppose I could have realized english isn't your main language. Good ol Amon Amarth bridging the gap between time and place. Speaking of, I handed my copy of "With Odin On Our Side" to my father and I dare say i've got me a convert. Hah!

I don't have much interest in reading so I find it crazy difficult to delve deeper into history and mythology, but I would consider myself an expert in Vikings just from listening to Amon Amarth and Ensiferum loads. LOL!

I don't have much interest in reading so I find it crazy difficult to delve deeper into history and mythology, but I would consider myself an expert in Vikings just from listening to Amon Amarth and Ensiferum loads. LOL!

So that board is kind of a Viking experts forum? ;)

I happen to be affiliated with a blog/podcast based in Canada dealing with the northern runes as a system of magick and the ancestral culture of the Norse people. The organized religious aspect of this is known as "Asatru" (Faith in the gods). We're looking to provide a resource for better understanding in these sorts of topics so for anyone who is interested, please check out Northern Runes Blog/Radio and tell us what you think! Hail!

I happen to be affiliated with a blog/podcast based in Canada dealing with the northern runes as a system of magick and the ancestral culture of the Norse people. The organized religious aspect of this is known as "Asatru" (Faith in the gods). We're looking to provide a resource for better understanding in these sorts of topics so for anyone who is interested, please check out Northern Runes Blog/Radio and tell us what you think! Hail!

This is an (almost) exact copy of the post you just did in another thread on this same forum?
It's a bit much, once is enough.

And me personally feel that going in to post links to other sites without forum interaction, this being primarily a forum for fans of the band Amon Amarth, is a bit, well, not that thought of.

There was a repairman in my flat today. Now I know some more about swedish history, i.e. I know the name of the first swedish man, because he told me. It is Magnus Samenström. (Samen - sperm, strömen - stream). :rolleyes:
Well, I didn't roll on the floor laughing.;)