holiday hate thread

i dunno if being religious automates a person to be right wing idiots alex. my grandmother goes to midnight mass every christmas and also goes to mass every single day. and she is the most liberal person i know.

I think that Western culture has indeed added an element of secularism to the holiday but I don't think that Christmas has thus become a secular holiday. Trappings of the non-religious do not negate the religious core of the holiday.

I'm not saying you're not answering my questions, I'm saying that I responded to your conjecture by explaining my viewpoint in detail and why it is more accurate. to continue this debate, you have to address my specific reasons and explain why yours is more accurate, not leave all my points standing and retreat to "but Christians still talk about Christmas in church".

minxnim said:
i dunno if being religious automates a person to be right wing idiots alex. my grandmother goes to midnight mass every christmas and also goes to mass every single day. and she is the most liberal person i know.

thanks minxnim, I actually wanted to make that point earlier but I sort of forgot about it.

Ha, I am here to undermine all of your arguements completely. The definition of the holiday should reside in the motivation for why it is celebrated as opposed to the traditions attached to it. Inherently, the motivation for celebration is the birth of the christ, Jesus, at least as regarded by the Christian religion, therefore the holiday is religious, like how the celebration on the Fourth of July is loosely based on the founding of the United States government, making it a national holiday. The belief in Santa Claus and the giving of gifts are merely traditions that have been attached to the christmas holiday, similar to the lighting off of fireworks on the 4th, it represents the holiday but it is not the holiday.

i didn't say that religious = idiots, amanda. heck, i'm religious.

i think that there is a particular kind of religious idiot who bemoans that a holiday that has become a secular cultural event needs to be "taken back" and "have Jesus put back into it" in a universal way.

my grandmother wants jesus put into everything, even the curse she puts on people.

p.s. arguing with alex is like clapping with one hand. proceed with caution.

xfer said:
I'm not saying you're not answering my questions, I'm saying that I responded to your conjecture by explaining my viewpoint in detail and why it is more accurate. to continue this debate, you have to address my specific reasons and explain why yours is more accurate, not leave all my points standing and retreat to "but Christians still talk about Christmas in church".

I don't really have anything to refute any of the statements that you have made previously. All of that stuff is true. I guess I just think that all of the things that have changed are less important than the core of the holiday that still exists. Therefore, I suppose from that perspective you win this debate. I can live with that. We have different persepectives and beliefs. Anyway, I have to finish packing so I can leave campus. Merry Christmas Alex (sorry avi!).

Nils insists that I now post that he is capable of clapping with one hand. Incidentally, it sounds like a stereotypical masturbation noise.

Does this mean I fulfill minxnim's prophecy and I was infact born to argue with Alex? I find this to be ample reason to celebrate the upcoming solstice.

I intend to confound, confuse, and bamboozle you with baseless arguements that only make sense because of very skilled usage of smoke and mirrors, and lies so bold they can't be denied.